$50 a night is too steep for me.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm seeing a lot of great ideas, here.  Those Wal Mart Supercenters are not only great places to overnight free, they are open 24/7, so stock up!  You'll see plenty of restaurants that have one or more big trucks overnighting; that's a sure sign they will have a good breakfast.  Any place that allows the big trucks to park overnight will welcome you, as well.  So boondocking spots are pretty easy to find.  The interstate rest areas in some states (Florida) have 24/7 security because of past problems with crime.  They're always worth a look and sometimes even have an RV dump station.  I saw someone recommended a fish camp; I second that.  Some fish camps turn out to be wonderful places to get a great supper and a good night's sleep.

Great Horned Owl said:
Most of our national forests permit dispersed camping that is completely free. While the rules vary a little from one national forest to another, generally you can camp anyplace within 150 ft. (50 meters) of a road. Specific restrictions apply in some areas. See http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/suzi/articles/around/dispersed-cg-guidelines.htm

Joel

I believe the Dispersed Camping rules for the NFS is that you must be a minimum of 100' off any roadway.

One I haven't seen here is www.harvesthosts.com Cost $40 for 12 months. They are wineries and farms and agri-tourism sites. I think you're only allowed a 24 hour stay, and I think that 24 hour stay is free. You should call ahead and show up during business hours.

Gino

In the summer I belong to two membership parks, This lmits my parking choices but I pay on the order of ninty dollars a MONTH for parking, 2 weeks in one park, 2 in the other, all summer long... NOTE: area KOA parks I can easily spend 90 dollars for just one night.. Even the bargain parks in that area are in the 40 dollar range per night.

Where I winter I can only use one of those memberships so it's 2 weeks for 45/month (Plus I still have to pay the dues at the other park) and 12.00/night for the week out.  YES, 12 bucks..

In the membership park I get 30 amps, Water, Sewer, Wi-Fi
In the 12/night parks 50 amps, water and a dump station.

I really LIKED that 50 amps last night.

NOTE: there is basically no limit on how long you can stay in this 12/night park.. You just have to change sites from time to time.  Another 12/night park (For me 24 for many) 17 miles away you have a 2 week limit. that one is a COE park, same 50 amps/water/dump station.  I get the lower price cause I have an interagency pass (Senior in my case) that gets me discounts at some federal attractions.. Up to 100% in some cases.  Must be 62 or have another qualifying quality. (long list of qualifications for the cards).

I have stayed for as low as 7.50/night with the card in a Forest Service Campground.. Again 50/water/dump.

Lots of options. Many low cost.. NOTE that COE parks tend to be on lakes (Man made) or rivers. and Forest Service parks in some very nice, though remote, palces.

Thanks for all who chimed in. I didn't know about all the ways to save $$$ when camping.

Thanks again!

Frank

Jerry, Have you done your 6 month trip (original post 2012, or are you still planning it?

One of the best internet sites is:  http://www.woodalls.com/Campground/state-search/rv-campgrounds.aspx

I did not realize that Good Sam and Woodalls have gone together but if you get near a Camping World they have the same info in a telephone sized book too.  They also have a nice road atlas with the locations of campgrounds identified some of which offer discounts.  By the way, I have camped off and on for over 40 years and never paid $50 per night for a parking spot.  KOAs are approaching that figure (and exceeding it in some areas) but I quit going to them also long ago.  To be honest, I have also never camped in the eastern states or in California but made a 4000 mile trip two years ago to Washington State and never paid more than $35 per night for full hookups - less for electric and water only.

It is inevitably the popular tourist spots that hike it up. We will pay $50 p.n. in Yellowstone this year, but we are going to get the only sites in the park which we can reserve and come with full hook up. Sure we will now try and get on a 'walk in' NPS site when we get there, but it is a risk when you are in the most popular tourist spot in The USA. The cost in gas to find a site outside the park justifies that outlay.

Gerry

$50.00 is about 30 pounds pretty good deal.  Another thing to think about make sure you are safe. 

Have a great trip....

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom