Minimum amount of water to travel with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

99WinAdventurer37G

Soon I'll be leaving for FL for Christmas with my family.  It's about a 1200 mile trip from here. 

My question is; what is the minimum water I should take with me? 

But here is some background info;

I just winterized the MH last weekend as we had our first hard freeze in DFW.  I followed the advice I got on here about using air to blow out all the lines and put antifreeze in the traps.  So all the lines should have in them is air.

Now for my trip, I will need to put some water in there for showers and cleaning up.  My plans are not to stop at any CG between here and FL.  I will stop when I get tired for a short nap, then drive again.  I won't stop long enough to deploy slide or set down jacks.

I like to drive until about 02:00 to a Cracker Barrel, then get up at 06:00 for breakfast and coffee.  Right before I lay down I like to take a Navy shower.  I travel at 57 mph, so I'm thinking, with stops, I will need at least 3 showers, then toilet, teeth brushing, etc. before arriving where I have full hookups.  I've been 10 days boondocking before without refilling, starting with a 69 gal full fresh water tank and I still had water in my tanks.  So I was thinking of measuring my water tank, and sectioning in thirds with a black marker.  Then just fill the tank to a third of a tank.  Then by the time all the lines are filled with water, I should have enough for the trip.  I don't know how much water all the lines hold, the kitchen sink, and bathroom
are all within about 10 feet from the water tanks.

Do you think I could do with less, maybe a quarter, or even a fifth of a tank?

Thanks,

Steve

Leave it winterized, stop at rest areas and dont worry.

Fill it up, it's unlikely you'll encounter a hard freeze between DFW and FL in the next few weeks and you won't have to worry about finding water on the way.

I'm with Seilerbird.  From DFW to FL the next week or so, the likelihood of encountering freezing temps (low enough to be a problem) is pretty unlikely (check the weather).  On top of that, if you keep the interior of your MH reasonably comfortable, the water lines won't freeze in that part of the country, this time of the year.

So the extra 500 lbs shouldn't be a problem?  (figuring at 8lbs a gal) I carry a lot of tools and other stuff with me, but probably nothing like a full timer.  The grey and black water tanks are currently MT.  And with the tanks in the basement, as long as I'm staying in the unit, freezing was not one of my concerns.  The only reason I had to winterize it when I did was the temps where I store it were going down into the teens.  The weather I've seen so far, won't get cold enough for freezing to be a consideration, just weight.

99WinAdventurer37G said:
So the extra 500 lbs shouldn't be a problem? 
People who have a toad report that towing a 2500 pound car behind their motorhome reduces their gas mileage around one half mile per gallon. 500 pounds of water will have no effect on gas mileage.

If you're concerned about the weight, just half-fill the water tank. If you start to get low, there are certainly places to get water between DFW and FL.

Wendy

Most are OK w/a full water tank when traveling -- whereas I only fill mine 1/3 when starting a travel day. The need or potential need for water is not the issue w/me, but rather is it OK with my rig.

My rig is a gasser and close to my weight limit - so, IMO, adding hundreds of pounds is not a wise thing for me to do. When sitting still, the weight is a dead weight whereas when traveling it become a live weight that impacts at a greater load. Location of the tank on some rigs is behind the rear axle that makes handling an issue as well. However, if the rig handles the same w/or without a full tank, is well within the weight limits I see no need not to fill the tank. Extra water is always a good thing as many have already mentioned.

As to MPG, the laws of physics disagree with my friends that believe weight has no effect on mileage. Isaac proved that once up to speed, weight has no effect - but getting up to speed does. Auto manufacturers are constantly figuring ways each year to make their vehicles lighter than the year before for that reason. The lighter the car, the better the mileage.

Am also reading articles such as this one contending that, as a nation, if we all lost more weight, our fuel needs would be less. So - lose a few pounds and help the US become energy independent!!  ;)

I like that thinking, Bob - help the environment, help the economy, lose weight :)

Wendy

First, Motor with enclosed tanks or trailer with open plumbing? makes a differene.  That difference being many motor homes are good to 20 (F) without any special considration save UNHOOK from city water and sewer at lower temps (Seal up).

Now, if you are truly worried, carry one or two 5 gallon "Jerry" cans (plastic is OK) for things like toilet use, and hand washing, Don't worry about the litle bit you'll put in the tanks before hitting warmer temps.

Dump when you can, rather than waiting for tanks to fill.  (Some rest areas have RV dumps, I'm not suggesting you pay for it).

If you think the temps will stay say 25 and up, and the tanks are enclosed and heated, Fill'er up.

Fill it up, have your water, and enjoy the trip.  Too much over-analyzing. Just re-winterize when you-re done if needed.  You need to refill your water heater anyway if you want that shower.

Bob Buchanan said:
Am also reading articles such as this one contending that, as a nation, if we all lost more weight, our fuel needs would be less. So - lose a few pounds and help the US become energy independent!!  ;)

Damn, in spite of myself I am helping the overall energy supply.  I do need to loose an additional 20+ lbs.  Maybe now I should buy that super V* engine in my next car????    :)

Back
Top Bottom