EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Day of GeoCaching  (Read 5528 times)

MikeCoke

• ---
    • Mike and Wendy's RV Travels
Day of GeoCaching
« on: December 15, 2012, 10:51:19 PM »
Wendy and I went GeoCaching in the Salton City area today and found 7 with 2 DNFs.
First pic is a pic of Sunshine the 1973 VW Beetle TB in Grave wash which is how we got to GC39ZAF USS BATAAN Cache.
The second pic is a pic of the mountains north of the Anza Borrego desert. It is a pano made of 4 pics stitched together. Taken as the sun set on our way back to the RV after our GeoCaching run.
at Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:53:17 PM by MikeCoke »
Mike, Wendy & Gordon our Yellow Lab
2015 Tiffin Allegro 31SA with Inverter & Generator and soon to have Solar Panels
Toad 1973 Yellow VW Beetle
Retired NPS Ranger

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Day of GeoCaching
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 10:55:22 PM »
Thanks for posting Mike.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 12:33:51 AM »
Mike,

Nice Pano!! We found a geocache site here in Yuma by accident during an off road event.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

MikeCoke

• ---
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 01:26:22 AM »
I forgot to mention as we were approaching Christmas Circle about 3 miles from the CG I pushed in the Clutch pedal and snap the pedal went to the floor. I drove the rest of the way with no clutch. It is either the clutch pedal arm that broke or the clutch cable the broke.  So tomorrow I will be taking the pedal assembly out to see what did brake.
2015 Tiffin Allegro 31SA with Inverter & Generator and soon to have Solar Panels
Retired NPS Ranger

MikeCoke

• ---
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
Well the fun continues. It was not the Clutch cable which would have been an easy fix since I could have gotten it at the local NAPA store.
It was the tang where the Clutch cable attached that broke.  So now I have to find a place I can order it from and see how fast I can get it.  Now we are stuck here without a toad.

Retired NPS Ranger

JerArdra

• ---
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 05:56:47 PM »
Mike,

Back, and I mean way back, in High School I learned how to start an old car while it was in 1st gear (it did jerk a bit as it started) and then shift to and between 2nd and 3rd WITHOUT using the clutch.  You just timed it in judging and listening to the RPMs and your speed.

Most of the time we started the car using the clutch and then shifted to 2nd and 3rd without the clutch just to show we could do it.

It was just something you did because some of your friends could do it and, of course, you certainly wanted to do it too.

JerryF
JerryF  ;D  ;D

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 06:38:22 PM »
Mike,
Its just amassing how Geocaching and the RV lifestyle go hand in hand. We now scout out cache spots when planning a night stop. Fun,
Jim
2005 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 07:11:24 PM »
Bummer. Hope you can get the replacement part in a reasonable time.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 10:10:28 PM »
Well the fun continues. It was not the Clutch cable which would have been an easy fix since I could have gotten it at the local NAPA store.
It was the tang where the Clutch cable attached that broke.  So now I have to find a place I can order it from and see how fast I can get it.  Now we are stuck here without a toad.

There must be a welding shop close that could come up with something.  I know a place here in town, well several actually.  There is a golf course and farms not too far away so there must be somebody who could do a little creative shade tree mechanic work.

Good luck
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 02:59:37 AM »
Bummer.

Here's some information on an improved clutch pedal shaft.  The ad doesn't give an address except for being in Chino, so they could probably get it to the Borrego Springs P.O. or ranger station in a day or two.

Or if not, you might be able to do something similar to the old shaft with a drill, bolt, and a couple of nuts to keep you going for a while.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1087010
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 03:04:15 AM by Lou Schneider »

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 09:44:39 AM »
Jerry,

I used to shift my '51 Chevy without the clutch. As you said, just time it right. Also one night I lost the clutch completely and had to drive about 30 miles to get home. That was an adventure. ;D ;D Luckily it was night time so there was very little traffic. The '50's were a great time in which to grow up!!
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 11:05:46 AM »
My Dad taught us all how to double clutch, but omitted shifting without a clutch from our training.  He probably knew we would try it if he did.  ;D

Margi

Quillback 424

• ---
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 12:18:49 PM »
If there is a Community College in the area it may have an auto lab and/or a welding lab. Usually, these instructors love to work on "interesting" projects. Also, a high school welding instructor may also like this type of project.
Larry --  Olathe, Kansas
2012 Winnebago Sightseer 33C
2005 Trail Rated Jeep GC 4.7 L

"Only an insane society would restrict the liberties of healthy people based on the actions of the disturbed." 
John Hayward

donn

• ---
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 12:19:28 PM »
AHHH BTDT if the clutch is gone, I would suggest you check the pedal travel.  lost three clutches within a week once on a buggy.  turned out the stop bolt for the pedal had turned in and the pedal was able to move more than it was suppose to.  Lesson learned.  I used to go through throttle cables about every six months.  easy fixes, just a pain in the behind to drag it home and fix it with DW yapping in my ear all the time.

driftless shifter

• ---
  • A Luddite with a stupid phone
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 12:41:57 PM »
go here. thesamba.com it's a huge aircooled vw sight. a welder can repair it good as new.... if he knows what it should look like. i have repaired my own. not hard to do. the hook literally wore off after what, 30 or so years.

ps if you're really into the og veedubs and repairing them your self you will love the site. i have a 1977 baywindow bus and a 1973 dune buggy with a stroker engine in it.
Bill & Nan
(o\_!_/o)
93 bounder 34, chevy chassis
couple of aircooled vw's, 1 fast(sold), 1 reliable(sold).  Dubless : (
USN '76-'80, 1 boat, USS Blandy, DD 943.
I'm an analog guy in a digital age.

wthibeaux

• ---
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 07:35:43 PM »
I drove a 64 VS beetle from near San Antonio to my home in Houston with no clutch. The cable broke and a mechanic couldn't fix it but told my how to get started from a stop. Turn off engine, shift to first, turn on key and starter will jerk it forward until the engine starts, then shift by matching engine speed to actual speed. Ran lots of stop signs and red lights to avoid coming to a complete stop. Lots of fun.

Sloop

• ---
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 10:19:16 AM »
Mike,
There used to be a fellow in Salton Sea Beach that sold used and aftermarket bug parts.  You might ask around at some of the garages there in Borrego Springs and see if they are familiar with him.  Paradise VW in San Marcos  (760-744-9081) can help you I am sure if you have a way to get over there. They also ship parts so you might give them a call. Hope you don't have to pull th engine to repace the part.  Can't remember if its held from the inside of the tranny housing or not.
As a side note, if you like ruinning the washes like Grave Wash check out "Treasure Trails"  It is held in February every year at Salton Sea Beach and is a huge family event.  They even have a GPS run which is similar to Geo Caching.
http://www.treasuretrails.org/
1992 24' Fleetwood Class "C" Jamboree Rallye
Ford E350 Chassis
Toad - 1969 Volkswagen Baja Bug
San Marcos, CA

MikeCoke

• ---
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 04:00:56 PM »
Bummer.

Here's some information on an improved clutch pedal shaft.  The ad doesn't give an address except for being in Chino, so they could probably get it to the Borrego Springs P.O. or ranger station in a day or two.

Or if not, you might be able to do something similar to the old shaft with a drill, bolt, and a couple of nuts to keep you going for a while.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1087010

Lou that is what I ordered I also ordered his Easy Press Multiple Lever Accelerator Pedal system.  The parts should get here Wed. or Thurs.
Mikke
Retired NPS Ranger

MikeCoke

• ---
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 04:10:20 PM »
Thanks to all for the comments and suggestion. We decided not to try running around with no working clutch. I can shift without the clutch but the starting from a dead stop is not fun and I did not want to do it. Part are on the way and we should be fixed by Friday at the latest.

Retired NPS Ranger

MikeCoke

• ---
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 07:41:48 PM »
Parts for the VW came in today so we got on the bikes and rode to the PO to pick them up. I will install them tomorrow.
Bike ride was a little over 6 miles to the PO and back.

http://www.mapmyhike.com/view_workout?w=214115130
Retired NPS Ranger

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 08:00:43 PM »
Bike ride was a little over 6 miles to the PO and back.

UPhill, both ways !

Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 08:25:02 PM »

UPhill, both ways !

with SNOW??? or Rain????  Head wind all the way both ways??  Come on give us the real truth!  :-)
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 08:34:03 PM »
And barefoot!
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 08:36:04 PM »
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 09:05:58 PM »

And pregnant !

Congratulations!  (Good Lord, please don't make this contagious!  Amen.)

Margi

MikeCoke

• ---
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 11:55:25 PM »
Put in the parts to fix the VW today and it is running again. :)  Too bad we leave the Borrego area on Wed. We will head over to the Coast then over to Indio for the FMCA rally.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 11:58:55 PM by MikeCoke »
Retired NPS Ranger

Don Wood

• Travel By Desine
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 10:23:36 PM »
In 1978 we took a 14000 mile six week tour of the states in our 68 VW campervan. We only traveled 40 miles before we lost a wheel bearing. Before we made it to a garage, we had a left front blowout on our two week old tires. This was over a weekend so we were camping on the Somoa Peninsula near Eureka, CA and got everything fixed on Monday. Finally on our way, the clutch went out in Yakima Washington, another day and another repair. All went well until we were in Washington DC when our clutch went out again. This time I said the heck with repairs and drove the second half of our trip with no clutch. We toured most of the Southeastern states even diving down to Key West Florida before heading toward home. That return was with two days left on my vacation. That was when the missing clutch was really no problem. It was actually easy to use the gears and try to avoid having to stop. If a stop was necessary then it was popped out of gear to stop then the engine was turned off, transmission then placed in first  gear and when it was time to go, a touch of the key to crank the engine and we were off. Fortunately the engine and starter were working perfectly. Fun trip!
Don Wood, National Sea Breeze towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

Hosted by Over The Network