Day of GeoCaching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeCoke

Wendy and I went GeoCaching in the Salton City area today and found 7 with 2 DNFs.
First pic is a pic of Sunshine the 1973 VW Beetle TB in Grave wash which is how we got to GC39ZAF USS BATAAN Cache.
The second pic is a pic of the mountains north of the Anza Borrego desert. It is a pano made of 4 pics stitched together. Taken as the sun set on our way back to the RV after our GeoCaching run.
? at Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.

Attachments

• SunshineCaching.jpg
    SunshineCaching.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 106
  • AnzaBorregoSunsetPano.jpg
    AnzaBorregoSunsetPano.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 90
I forgot to mention as we were approaching Christmas Circle about 3 miles from the CG I pushed in the Clutch pedal and snap the pedal went to the floor. I drove the rest of the way with no clutch. It is either the clutch pedal arm that broke or the clutch cable the broke.  So tomorrow I will be taking the pedal assembly out to see what did brake.

Well the fun continues. It was not the Clutch cable which would have been an easy fix since I could have gotten it at the local NAPA store.
It was the tang where the Clutch cable attached that broke.  So now I have to find a place I can order it from and see how fast I can get it.  Now we are stuck here without a toad.

Attachments

• ClutchTang.jpg
    ClutchTang.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 64
Mike,

Back, and I mean way back, in High School I learned how to start an old car while it was in 1st gear (it did jerk a bit as it started) and then shift to and between 2nd and 3rd WITHOUT using the clutch.  You just timed it in judging and listening to the RPMs and your speed.

Most of the time we started the car using the clutch and then shifted to 2nd and 3rd without the clutch just to show we could do it.

It was just something you did because some of your friends could do it and, of course, you certainly wanted to do it too.

JerryF

Bummer. Hope you can get the replacement part in a reasonable time.

MikeCoke said:
Well the fun continues. It was not the Clutch cable which would have been an easy fix since I could have gotten it at the local NAPA store.
It was the tang where the Clutch cable attached that broke.  So now I have to find a place I can order it from and see how fast I can get it.  Now we are stuck here without a toad.

There must be a welding shop close that could come up with something.  I know a place here in town, well several actually.  There is a golf course and farms not too far away so there must be somebody who could do a little creative shade tree mechanic work.

Good luck

Bummer.

Here's some information on an improved clutch pedal shaft.  The ad doesn't give an address except for being in Chino, so they could probably get it to the Borrego Springs P.O. or ranger station in a day or two.

Or if not, you might be able to do something similar to the old shaft with a drill, bolt, and a couple of nuts to keep you going for a while.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1087010

Jerry,

I used to shift my '51 Chevy without the clutch. As you said, just time it right. Also one night I lost the clutch completely and had to drive about 30 miles to get home. That was an adventure. ;D ;D Luckily it was night time so there was very little traffic. The '50's were a great time in which to grow up!!

My Dad taught us all how to double clutch, but omitted shifting without a clutch from our training.  He probably knew we would try it if he did.  ;D

Margi

If there is a Community College in the area it may have an auto lab and/or a welding lab. Usually, these instructors love to work on "interesting" projects. Also, a high school welding instructor may also like this type of project.

AHHH BTDT if the clutch is gone, I would suggest you check the pedal travel.  lost three clutches within a week once on a buggy.  turned out the stop bolt for the pedal had turned in and the pedal was able to move more than it was suppose to.  Lesson learned.  I used to go through throttle cables about every six months.  easy fixes, just a pain in the behind to drag it home and fix it with DW yapping in my ear all the time.

go here. thesamba.com it's a huge aircooled vw sight. a welder can repair it good as new.... if he knows what it should look like. i have repaired my own. not hard to do. the hook literally wore off after what, 30 or so years.

ps if you're really into the og veedubs and repairing them your self you will love the site. i have a 1977 baywindow bus and a 1973 dune buggy with a stroker engine in it.

I drove a 64 VS beetle from near San Antonio to my home in Houston with no clutch. The cable broke and a mechanic couldn't fix it but told my how to get started from a stop. Turn off engine, shift to first, turn on key and starter will jerk it forward until the engine starts, then shift by matching engine speed to actual speed. Ran lots of stop signs and red lights to avoid coming to a complete stop. Lots of fun.

Mike,
There used to be a fellow in Salton Sea Beach that sold used and aftermarket bug parts.  You might ask around at some of the garages there in Borrego Springs and see if they are familiar with him.  Paradise VW in San Marcos  (760-744-9081) can help you I am sure if you have a way to get over there. They also ship parts so you might give them a call. Hope you don't have to pull th engine to repace the part.  Can't remember if its held from the inside of the tranny housing or not.
As a side note, if you like ruinning the washes like Grave Wash check out "Treasure Trails"  It is held in February every year at Salton Sea Beach and is a huge family event.  They even have a GPS run which is similar to Geo Caching.
http://www.treasuretrails.org/

Lou Schneider said:
Bummer.

Here's some information on an improved clutch pedal shaft.  The ad doesn't give an address except for being in Chino, so they could probably get it to the Borrego Springs P.O. or ranger station in a day or two.

Or if not, you might be able to do something similar to the old shaft with a drill, bolt, and a couple of nuts to keep you going for a while.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1087010

Lou that is what I ordered I also ordered his Easy Press Multiple Lever Accelerator Pedal system.  The parts should get here Wed. or Thurs.
Mikke

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestion. We decided not to try running around with no working clutch. I can shift without the clutch but the starting from a dead stop is not fun and I did not want to do it. Part are on the way and we should be fixed by Friday at the latest.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom