Dinette Booth or free-standing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pilot

Okay, I'm new and I'm rarin' to go with questions:

I have looked at a lot of MHs and I notice a lot have the dining table with separate chairs. I prefer the booths. I'm assuming most people like the table w/chairs or they wouldn't be putting them in so many. Am I wierd for liking the booth? Or what do people like about the chairs and table? I like the idea of being lazy and stretching my legs out ;)

BTW, it's only two of us and a dog and a cat and they aren't sitting up at the table with us! So, no worries about xtra people for the majority of the time.

Just wonderin.....

Amy

Amy,

We had a booth in our prior motorhome and it was fine when we had the kids with us. We specifically didn't want a booth in our current coach, partly because there's only two of us (it came with two additional folding chairs that we don't keep on the coach any more) and partly because this gives me much more leg room than a booth. But everyone's needs and preferences will be different.

Well, there are advantages to both booth and table/chair seating.

The booths are usually storage compartments, you you have sit-on storage,  However I find that in most Motor Homes (including the same floor plan I have save for the dinette) at 6'3" by 325 lbs,  I don't fit well in the RV size booth.. My wife, who is smaller, feels she does not fit well in them either.  Thus we opted for table and chairs, and find that we fit in quite nicely.

Now... On "My" side of the table I have replaced the chair with a freezer I can sit on. however there is still more room than with a booth..

Personally, I think they make the table too wide when they install a booth

Thanks for the quick replies. Good stuff to think about.  I'm beginning to think it won't be the deal-beaker for me anymore as much as I thought it was when I first started looking at MHs.

-Amy

PS About the chairs, do they get secured before traveling or is it an issue?

Pilot said:
About the chairs, do they get secured before traveling or is it an issue?

Amy,

We use a velcro strap to secure one leg of each of the two chairs together and they've never moved while driving down the road.

Pilot said:
Okay, I'm new and I'm rarin' to go with questions:

I have looked at a lot of MHs and I notice a lot have the dining table with separate chairs. I prefer the booths. I'm assuming most people like the table w/chairs or they wouldn't be putting them in so many. Am I wierd for liking the booth? Or what do people like about the chairs and table? I like the idea of being lazy and stretching my legs out ;)

BTW, it's only two of us and a dog and a cat and they aren't sitting up at the table with us! So, no worries about extra people for the majority of the time.

Just wonderin.....

Amy

My needs are different than most in that I both live and work full time in my RV. My dinette was my office vs. a place to have a meal. So that would skew my advice. Also, I travel solo. After about 10 years full timing with a booth in 3 different RV's, am very pleased to now have a table in my 4th RV -- actually, a drop leaf table.

John's point is well taken in that I have given up some storage under one of the seats. The other one contained the furnace so no storage there. The one side had a drawer the length of the seat and was a great place to store all of my computer software. I'm a programmer, computer guy. The other plus of a dinette is that it makes into a bed - so if having extra guests, that is a nice feature.

Here are the things I began to hate about a booth.

o I spent a lot of time working there -- and they become very uncomfortable. You can't swivel or move much -- and sloughing down is even more uncomfortable.

o The seat cushions are usually pretty cheap and become worn to your shape. After that starts happening, you have to sit in the same hole or sit lop sided.

o No leg room. Was surprised you thought that was a plus for a dinette.

Anyway, have attached a couple of pics from my rig. If you go for a table -- try to get a drop leaf. The first shows the drop leaf down-- but not a full view. The second is with the drop leaf up and my office set up. I have taken the opposite chair out and stored it. I have two more folding chairs that match the permanent chairs that I have stowed under the queen bed. Note that now I can have a meal with guest in addition to the office usage. However, most meals are on the smaller table in the forward area of the rig. BTW, the permanent chairs were bolted down to the floor. Theydo swivel but can't be moved otherwise. I see chairs in other rigs that can be moved around, and then bungied

Again, my needs are different -- but I had decided if I couldn't find a rig with a table vs. a booth, I would go ahead and the take the booth and put a desk or table in instead. On the second pic, envision the area with the office stuff removed and nice chairs on both sides -- and to me, that sure beats a booth.

Attachments

• LookingAft.jpeg
    LookingAft.jpeg
    22.6 KB · Views: 85
  • MyOffice.jpeg
    MyOffice.jpeg
    31.6 KB · Views: 86
Bob, I knew you'd have a different (and very good) perspective on this aubject, given your full time, work, and Class C-A status.

I really like that drop-leaf table. It looks like it has more room in the up position than any fixed table I've seen, either free standing or booth. If we decide to buy another coach, I think that will be a definite must-have.

Although we don't fulltime, I spend a lot of time online &/or at my PC when we're in the coach or on the boat. Using the dining table as a desk was always an irritant for Chris, especially when we had company over for dinner. So I eventually had a desk installed in the RV. But I still monopolize the table in the (larger and more comfortable) booth on the boat.

We had a booth in our current motor home that I used for an office desk.? After a few years, we realized that wasn't working out and we replaced it with a desk.? The desk has a pullout table.

Attachments

• Desk1.jpg
    Desk1.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Desk2.jpg
    Desk2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Desk3.jpg
    Desk3.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 68
Ned said:
The desk has a pullout table.

Neat feature Ned. How many folks can you seat at the pull-out table for dinner?

4, if we had the chairs.  There is a leaf that isn't shown in the photo that adds 15" to the table.

I see Lorna's chair for dining,  Where's yours or do you have to stand or sit at the drivers seat?    Good Looking setup Ned.

Lorna drives, I sit at the desk (not while in motion however).  Actually, we seldom use the table for eating unless we have 4 or more for dinner, then I usually eat at it.  Since we don't have any extra chairs, we've never actually used the table for more than 1 person, but it is designed for up to 4.

Wow.? Thanks to everyone for your replies and pics. I love this site! Decisions, decisions...... :)

And Bob, just for clarification, I want to stretch out on the bench seat with my back against the wall. Does that make sense?

We love the looks of the free-standing table/chairs and the practicallity of the dinette. Like Bob, the dinette serves as our computer table and we have an incredible amount of "stuff' in those huge drawers underneath. Some of it is extra kitchen gear (e.g. our vacuum sealer & bags) and some is computer stuff, e.g. blank CDs/DVDs  and various cables and adapters that come in handly now and then. In our 35.5 footewr, I don't know what we would do without the dinette storage and that (plus the fact we did not like the style of table offered in outr rig) made us decide on the dinette for our current home-away-from-home.

It's a toss up what we would get if RV shopping again. The ultimate decision would rest on the storage facilities provided elsewhere in the rig and whether the rig had (or could have) a separate computer desk. As you probably guessed by now, the computer is a major element in our lifestyle...  ::)

Pilot said:
And Bob, just for clarification, I want to stretch out on the bench seat with my back against the wall. Does that make sense?

Yes, it makes a lot sense . . .

That brings up an issue with any RV floor plan and furniture. It's "very" nice to have a recliner of some type. If not, you "are" having to stretch out on the bench of a dinette or try to do the same on the couch. If the chairs don't recline, and you fall asleep -- your necks wrenches like a bobble doll.  :mad:

So, yes, I agree that if you don't have someplace else to stretch out -- and fall asleep without winding up with a kink in your neck, go for the dinette. The only time an RVer shouldn't mind falling asleep is when they're driving. ;)

Re: Securing chairs. on the table and chair set ups.

In my motor home the table has a kind of a hook built into it's legs, the chairs hook over it and are quite secure

I've done a few sudden stops, some serious rough roads, and neither chair has come loose

In addition to the two regular chairs... The MH came with two folding chairs which are stored in a closet

Amy,
I am also new to MH's, and prefer the booth dinette as well.  When looking at new motor homes, the dealers have offered to swap out the table & chairs for a booth if we wanted one instead.  They shouldn't charge you anything to do this, since usually the freestanding table is an "upgrade".  Of course if you're looking at used ones it would be a more difficult conversion.  I think the reason a lot of people are going to the freestanding, as somebody stated before, is that we are growing "larger" as a society and a lot of people don't fit well into the booths!  So I would just make sure it is comfortable for you and your other half, size-wise.  Personally, I like the booth because it makes me feel more like I'm eating out at a restaurant! :)  Silly, but so many things are all about perception.

No one way is perfect.  There's always going to be a difference of opinion on Booth or chair.  We like the booth, because often the wife sits there while I'm motoring down the road.  If it were a table and charirs, where's the seat belt. In case the grandkids are with us, it's anonther bed.  Next RV will have a booth and 2 couches, all convertible to beds.  Others don't need or want it and that's fine.  Do what you got to do.

Back
Top Bottom