Oh my, showing my age

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OLD, no I don't think so.  Do you remember the radio program on Saturday mornings "Let's Pretend", "Euclidia".  IF you do, you are old.  How about "Jack Armstrong"?  "I Love a Mystery"? "Bulldog Drummond"? "Ellery Queen"?  There are others too numerous to mention.

No I do not remmeber any of those shows, I am 48 and have 27 years in the military, I just feel real old.

You are Worldly- not old. :)

Hows about Henry J automobiles?  Nash MetropolitanCrosley?  The Henry J may be the most recognized as the body was used extensively in the 50's and 60's for dragster shells.  A neighbor had a Crosley stationwagon when I was in the 3rd grade.  I rode in it once.  Of course, at age 8, the small size didn't seem like much of a problem.

My Grandfather had a Metropolitian and a 66 mustang when they first came out.  I was in grade school then and can remember riding in them. I did own a 63 Ramler American, 10-15 years ago. 

ChiefM said:
My Grandfather had a Metropolitian and a 66 mustang when they first came out.  I was in grade school then and can remember riding in them. I did own a 63 Ramler American, 10-15 years ago.
I bought a '63 Rambler American stationwagon in '65 (traded a '64 Simca for it).  Hauled kids in it from Memphis to China Lake, Ca., from there to Oceana, Va. then back to Missouri.  Finally sold it in '74.  The little flat head 6 engine was still ticking just fine.  The only thing I ever had to do to it besides normal tune-ups was to replace a broken left front trunnion pin and a fuel pump.

We had one of the early 60's Ford Country Squire station wagons with "wood" sides.  It was like driving an aircraft carrier.

Margi

Here's my contribution to small cars. One door, 12 horsepower from a 1 cylinder air cooled engine. Best around town car ever. Is there only a half a parking spot? No problem. Just remember to park at right angles so someone parking too close doesn't keep you from opening the door.

Ken

Attachments

• Picture Frame Nov 12 062.jpg
    Picture Frame Nov 12 062.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 22
My most memorable cars: 1970 Dodge Charger, 1985 Fiero GT, 1986 Corvette and the 1996 Z28 Camaro convert I have now. Working on restoring my late father in laws 1979 Ford F100 pickup this summer.

Ken...I bellieve that is a BMW. I have a 55 Messerschmitt sitting in pieces around here somewhere. My first car. We had a green hudson hornet I wish I had back, there's a 500 caddy motor just waitin to slide in one.

catblaster said:
Ken...I bellieve that is a BMW. I have a 55 Messerschmitt sitting in pieces around here somewhere. My first car. We had a green hudson hornet I wish I had back, there's a 500 caddy motor just waitin to slide in one.
That does appear to be a BMW emblem.  The basic car, though, is an Italian designed Isetta.

catblaster said:

KR200? The microcars have quite a following. I fell in love with the BMW Isetta when I was a kid. I always wanted one and finally got it when I was 50.

Ken

Tom and Margi said:
We had one of the early 60's Ford Country Squire station wagons with "wood" sides.  It was like driving an aircraft carrier.

Margi
;D I had a woody wagon too, a clapped out Torino. When I gave up trying to nurse it I bought a 74 Meteor nine passenger . Beautiful car to drive on the highway with no shortage of power but wouldn't pass gas stations, I could not afford to feed it. My buddy has his grandfather's 58 Edsel.

During WW2, lived in a small town in SE Oklahoma.  Dad was away so my grandfather would pick me up to go to gas station with him.  The pump at the station had a glass tube on top  of it and marked in gallons.. There was handle on the side to pump gas into the tube and it was my job to do the pumping.  Would pump in 5 gallons [remember rationing], put the hose into the car tank and it would gravity  into the car tank.

Bill Dane  99 CC  Allure

50 cents a gallon, remember the gas wars....I remember buying gas at 14cents a gallon and when I was living in Bankok, Thailand I would buy gas at the Embassy gas station at 9 cents a galloon. Some of my finer cars which were purchased wrecked or broken included such old favorites like a 1918 Styudebaker, a 1948 Hudson Hornet, 1941 Chevrolet, 1953 Chevrolet and the nicest was a 1950 Ford 2dr. Oh forgot to mention the 1937 Chevrolet I had in Japan and the 1959 Chevy with the 348. Some or quite a few were basket cases that I managed to put back in service.

Tom, I was paying a little more than 50 cents a gallon in the early 80's. I had to fill that beast every 200 miles.

Back in the 30th and 40th, if you wanted to use the telephone in our small town, you took the ear piece off the hook, turned the crank on the side and a operator answered "number please" and would give that number a ring.  Our ring was 3.  We had 8 people on our line, the best I remember. Anyone could listen in on any conversation.

Bill Dane    99  CC  Allure

llib enad said:
Back in the 30th and 40th, if you wanted to use the telephone in our small town, you took the ear piece off the hook, turned the crank on the side and a operator answered "number please" and would give that number a ring.  Our ring was 3.  We had 8 people on our line, the best I remember. Anyone could listen in on any conversation.

Bill Dane    99  CC  Allure

I remember those.  Our ring was two longs and one short.  If you wanted tocall someone on your party line, you needed to remember their ring too.  When anyone on the party line got a call, we all knew it.  And sometimes neighbors would listen in on othere folks conversations. lol

Back
Top Bottom