Oh my, showing my age

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carson said:
One more..... the little triangular door window in cars instead of the whole crank down window.

You talking about the windwing ? Sunshine the '73 VW actually has those. Wish newer cars still had them.

carson said:
One more..... the little triangular door window in cars instead of the whole crank down window.

What's a "crank down window"  ???

Popular subject matter...  Dimmer switch on the floor, vacuum windshield wipers, full front seat (nice and cozy with girlfriend... 0 clearance away), furry dice hanging from mirror, tons of little decals all over the rear window, wire curb alarms,  and on and on.

Kids today don't know about VHS tapes, manners, AM radios with tubes that had to warm up before sound came out, respect, 3 on the tree shifting, earning money, church keys, tube type tires, saving for a rainy day, coal oil, leaded gas, black  white TV, Walt Disney on Sunday night, Ed Sullivan, Phil Silvers, Art Linkletter, To the Moon, Alice, Don't open that closet, cars without seat belts, cars with fins, mumbly peg, milk bottles with cream out the top when it was too cold, bumper jacks, poodle skirts, intake manifold whistles,..........

Just Lou said:
What's a "crank down window"  ???
;D ;D ;D I have a Jeep Wrangler and last summer one of my grandkids and I were out in it and I told him to roll don't the window.  After a few minutes, I looked back at him and he then looked at me and said, "How?"

carson said:
Lou, I am a tad older than you, I miss the ICEMAN.
Carson, do you remember running out to the ice truck and snitching chunks of ice while the ice man carried a block to the house?  Houston, Tx in July, this was as big a treat as the Popcycle man.

AH, the good old days, well maybe not. I like having whole house heat and and air conditioning. Must be a lot of old timers on here. Wing windows went out in 1968 for GM when they came out with astro ventalation. Still have a 8 track player in my 77 Trans Am, my son keeps saying I need to take it out. Told him he can do that after I'm gone. Some things have changed for the better, don't ya think? Never would of thought I'd be sitting in my recliner typing on a laptop on the internet. ;D ;D

Somebody mentioned black and white T.V. but did not go far enough, with only 13 channels of which only 4/5 could be brought in and no remote, you had to get up and turn it on, change channels by turning a knob and then move the antenna (what's that the kid said).  You want to punish your children, make them use one of those for a week, I'm sure they will behave after that.  Of course there is always the possibility that they will turn you in to child welfare for abuse. 

majfrizz said:
anyone remember "carbon paper" ??? ???
How about memeograph - the pre-Xerox copier?  Typing up the "stencile" error free was a challenge, but then loading it on the drum and running off your copies could be a total mess.

Wendy said:
You talking about the windwing ? Sunshine the '73 VW actually has those. Wish newer cars still had them.

My 93 Toyota pickup still has those. Oh, and so does my RV. We used to call them cigarette windows.

My RV still has 2-point "suicide" belts on the captain's chairs, too...

Mylo

Wendy said:
I think they went out when Sammy Davis Jr poked his eye out on one.

The last one I had was in 1958 on my 1952 Studebaker.  I never did like it :)

Molaker said:
How about memeograph - the pre-Xerox copier?  Typing up the "stencile" error free was a challenge, but then loading it on the drum and running off your copies could be a total mess.

And the teacher's favorite reproduction method, "ditto" paper.  Blue gunk on the back of white medium, run off on a "ditto machine".

majfrizz said:
anyone remember "carbon paper" ??? ???

I do!  First part-time job before college at 17 years of age: typing wills and oil leases for an attorney.  Sometimes required five or six sheets of carbon paper.  He did not allow erasures on wills or leases, so if a mistake was made, we started all over from the beginning.  We learned accuracy the hard way.  ;)  White out had not yet been invented.

Margi

Back
Top Bottom