Oh my, showing my age

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you remember these? Bet the kids of today can't identify any of these.  We called the first pic a "slop jar", spittoon, and the other one is a Coleman iron.

Little Bill

Attachments

• DSC04134.JPG
    DSC04134.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC04136.JPG
    DSC04136.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC04135.JPG
    DSC04135.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 28
Lady Fitzgerald said:
Dimmer switch on the floor? How about the starter on the floor? Three speed floor shifters?

Yes!!! And some were strategically placed under the clutch pedal so the clutch had to be fully down to activate them!! Pretty much learned to drive on a 3 speed floor shifter,  trucks, cars and aircraft towing tug. Trucks and tugs had to be double clutched!!

catblaster said:
I've got a spark advance on my old panhead harley (1951). If you try to kick her off without retarding it she will let you know by putting your knee up....under your chin.

How about kick starters on motorcycles

My Dad's Francis Barnett bike (250cc) had a spark advance (WWII era).  He drove that throughout the war years and into the 50's. He would give away his wartime gas rationing coupons to friends who drove cars!!!

My BSA250 (1954) had kick start as did all bikes at that time. Even without spark advance, it could kick back pretty good!!!

Labretta scooters were very popular up our way, did not see a Cushman until visiting USA (50's)

Whizzers were also popular

Molaker said:
If I recall, those had a small motor that drove a roller that layed on top of the tire.

That was another brand and I have forgotten it, CRS! The Whizzer I am familiar with had a belt and a large disc that was attached to the spokes.  The motor was fairly large and fit in the space under the cross bar - it took the whole area too. 

I am familiar with the one that had a roller on the tire but that was not popular in my home town.  It could have been another Whizzer model but I just can't remember.  The other was a small motor on a rack above the rear  tire or even the front one.  I drove one that powered the front tire.  I didn't like it. 

Had to let the old brain turn gears to remember this much.

Iron Horse said:
Do you remember these? Bet the kids of today can't identify any of these.  We called the first pic a "slop jar", spittoon, and the other one is a Coleman iron.

Little Bill

Grandma called hers the chamber pot.  When we were in the cabin at Huntington Lake, we wre allowed to use it in the middle of the night, all other trips were made outside to the outhouse. 

One of the boys in my class had a Cushman scooter and another had a Doodle Bug.  The Doodle Bug sounded like a lawn mower and you could hear it coming blocks away.

pojo said:
How many know why you had to double clutch? Everything is synchronized now!

Not me, I've never heard of straight cut gears. In the forties almost every gear was straight cut and required double clutch to bring the rpm's close. In the sixties genreally only the grandma gear was straight cut. Back when Ford pickups had 292's and four speeds. The good old days.

Ken

My first bike was a Western Flyer and I still have my dad's 16 ga. J.C. Higgins shotgun.  Around my part of the country Western Auto hasn't been gone all that long.  I think there were still WA stores nearby until the 80's.  Somewhere in there, they were bought by Sears.  Most became Advance Auto Parts stores.

My first motor bike was Lambretta's, 2 of them that were all apart and in 2 orange crates. Put them together by myself at 12 yrs old, no new parts. Old gaskets cut from cardboard, old rings, and the darned thing ran.....for a while.

Molaker said:
No, they went out when power steering came in.

It was a good thing Doctors made house calls. If they had not, I wouldn't be here today. I had an emergency Trakodomy on the kitchen table. [I had [Diptheria when I was 8 years old.]

By the way those spinners on the steering wheel we called neckers knobs.

Lee

Back
Top Bottom