Is a Chevy Colorado OK for trails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoozerman

I am hoping to make a trip out west this coming summer, and I would like to take my Chevy Colorado toad on some of the off road trails so that we can enjoy some back country scenery and adventure. Our Colorado is a 4x4 with a 4 Low range and a Z71 package. I would like some feedback from the experts here about what I can expect as far as off road capability, etc. I don't plan on taking any extreme off road routes, mainly established trails where I wouldn't drive an ordinary 2wd vehicle. One thing I'm not knowledgeable about is the "locker" term and what advantage that gives you. Is that a locking differential, and if so, does my vehicle have this? Or is it a locking hub, in which case I'm sure mine doesn't have this.
I appreciate any comments. Thank you to the forum for being here.

We took our 2007 Canyon (GMC version of the Colorado) through Canyon de Chelly and some of the trails around Moab.  Nothing really difficult but it's more than adequate for the easier trails.  If you're going on the more difficult trails, you should consider rock rails and skid plates.

We did lose the front air dam in Canyon de Chelly :)

I agree with Ned and were with him at Canyon de Chelly, Moab and Quartzsite and if I recall our 2006 Colorado w/Z71 package included skid plates.
Now our stock Colorado wasn't a Rubicon, but we did take it on many a trails...even some pretty difficult ones.
So get out there and enjoy this beautiful country of ours and take lots of pics.

PS: if you have a bike rack on back, Please remove before off-roading (inside joke with Ned)

Attachments

• Fishcreek Wash, Anza-Baraga,CA.jpg
    Fishcreek Wash, Anza-Baraga,CA.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Fonts Point, Anza-Baraga Desert Park.jpg
    Fonts Point, Anza-Baraga Desert Park.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Mojave National Preserve,CA.jpg
    Mojave National Preserve,CA.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 35
  • Pinkham Canyon Trail,CA.jpg
    Pinkham Canyon Trail,CA.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Red Canyon Trail Desert Center,CA.jpg
    Red Canyon Trail Desert Center,CA.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 30
hoozerman said:
...One thing I'm not knowledgeable about is the "locker" term and what advantage that gives you. Is that a locking differential, and if so, does my vehicle have this? Or is it a locking hub, in which case I'm sure mine doesn't have this.

Hoozerman, I'm no expert but most trucks (4x4 and 4x2) come with an "open" rear differential which spins the wheel with the least resistance. Get one tire stuck in the mud and you just sit there while it spins. Many have a "limited slip" rear differential which will transfer power to the wheel with better traction. Some have a true "locking" differential which will (as the name implies) lock both axle halves together and spin the wheels at the same speed.

Not sure if any type of front limited slip or locker is available as OEM (for pickups anyway). I think it's an aftermarket option only.

We have a 2009 Colorado did some off roading on out trek from Boston to Yellowstone and Bad Lands, we were pleased with its performance. As Ned said its not a Jeep but did the job.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom