Grumpy old people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've been in campgrounds that had pet sections and "no pet" sections and you absolutely were not allowed to walk your dog in the no pet sections. I have no problem with that. The carrying a flashlight rule is a new one. It's smart to do after dark but I've never run across a campground that had that rule. We stay a lot in state and federal parks and we always laugh when we see a sign with a dozen or more rules and at the bottom it says "Enjoy Your Park".

We figure if we don't like the rules, we can always go elsewhere. And I'd rather see the rules enforced than not.

Wendy

We have been campground hosts at many different parks: State Parks, National Parks, County Parks, etc.  The most frequent problem we have dealt with is people setting around a campfire late at night not realizing how loud they are.  Most often all it takes is just a polite reminder.  However, there are those exceptions where a great deal of alcohol has been consumed, and those can be difficult.  The campground hosts generally do not want to give people a hard time, nobody wants to be kept up all night by a bunch of drunks.  Our policy was to provide two warnings, then call in law enforcement. 

Don't like grumpy too bad : Don't irritate us . I agree dogs could be the number one reason. I spent 4 1/2 months in California last winter with little to do but walk . There was a one mile walk way around inland bay. In daytime people picked up after their dogs. People who chose to walk after dark tended to not notice. Every dog as you know has never been aggressive until it meets you. How does that work? There was a bridge across the end of the bay about 2000 feet long arched up in the middle. The peddle people movers were not supposed to be on the bridge. The bridge was about 6 feet wide and the people movers about 4 feet wide. These people movers didn't steer very well. The teenagers would get up on the crown of the bridge and peddle down hill for all they were worth. You could loose a leg pretty easily. If that isn't enough a women was sitting in the back seat of her car letting her 14 yr. old learn to drive around the park. When you returned to the park after supper on a Friday night there would be 100 kids running wild and the parents sitting by a fire drinking and partying on the street. They wouldn't even tell their own kids to move so you could get through to your sight. They were riding power scooters on the side walks roads never looking or stopping. One girl did finally get backed onto buy a truck innocent neighbour. So my point in this day in age when you can't even discipline your own children  why would be stupid enough to try and discpline somone elses especially when they are drunk and another culture. So your damn right we have a right to be grumpy. Respect us and see how nice we can be. You need rules and you need them enforced. I am leaving tomorrow for an all seniors park. Although I don't feel like a senior the facts are there . I HOPE I enjoy it. St. Peterburg Florida.

Its been my experience that "Grumpy Old People" started out as Grumpy Young people.

But I do agree with the posters who are not fond of camping with drunks. It doesn't happen often but it is annoying when you end up in that situation. I try not to let very much bother me when I am camping.

Forever! I have listened to people complain about the rues. You?re going to be told what to do all your life. Everyone has a boss except God.  Some people call it being a  ?team player?. Rules need to be made because some people don?t have respect and don?t care about other peoples right to peace and harmony. Have respect for us older people. We have fought the battles of arthritis, broken bones, lost loved ones and putting up with our boss until we can retire.
    Now in our twilight of our life we have a right to some peace and quite and enjoy our camping.  I don?t enjoy pointing out the obvious to anyone, in fact I put-up with a lot more than I should. If you don?t understand a rule It just may be your not able to put yourself in someone?s shoes.
I bet I catch a lot of hell for this post but I hope it will also make you stop and think when you are doing something that may disturb your fellow campers. You have the right to have a good time but you don't have the right to take all the fun out of it for the rest of us.
PS Young people should respect their elders, not think of them as grumpy old people. 

geodrake said:
Two things bother me:  1) Drunks when I' sober  2) Sober people when I'm drunk ;D

No doubt....there's gotta be a "like" button on here somewhere, and I'm gonna find it!

I don't mind grumpy old (or young) folks, as long as they leave me alone.  I've voiced this one before.....my peeve is the overly friendly someone that wants to stop by my campsite and spend the next 3 hours telling me their life story.  2 minutes chatting about the weather is fine....after that, move along please.  I get very little downtime....what I do get is for the wife and I to decompress from life.  After 5 minutes, I become one of the grumpy folks.

I'm one of those very quiet middle aged folks.....just the wife and I, no kids, no pets, and usually indoors by dark.  We get enough noise and excitement in our normal life with work and living in a city.  We don't bother anyone, and expect the same.  That said, the guy that tells me to "be quiet", unprovoked, three times the second I back my rig in is going to get my middle finger.  I run out of polite very quickly for that sort of nonsense.  When I was a young tyke, momma used to say "don't holler 'til your hurt".  It still applies. 

We follow the rules, to the letter.  They're there for a reason.  If there's a need for an exception, we get permission from the camp host ahead of time.  But we don't tattle on those who bend the rules either.....if it's egregious and bothering us, I'll take it up with the individual personally first.  If not cooperation after that, then we go to mgt. 

In all my years doing this, that has never happened.  I've had one incident where a guys dog was running loose and kept crapping in my camp and he wasn't cleaning it up.  I asked him nicely, he agreed to clean it up, but didn't.  After a couple of days, I shoveled it up, and deposited it on the door step of his camper.  He must have got the hint.....dog stayed inside the rest of the time.

I don't mind rules as long as I know what they are before I park the TT. That way I know what's allowed and if I don't like them, I know to move on. Then again the few parks I've been in are over crowded, noisy and smoky, so we prefer to boondock.

As for the camp fire at night. We had a few guys two sites away stay up till 2 or 3 am around their fire. They were trying to be very quiet by talking in hushed tones but we could hear every word they said inside our trailer. We could also hear every time they got into their cooker for another brew. The next day one of their group asked if we saw anyone in their coolers because they were missing beer. I told them to ask those that stayed up drinking, after that they had a rather loud conversation about who should refill the cooler.  ;)

Grumpy old people...as I sit here trying to decide which part hurts the most this morning, maybe you need to walk a mile in their shoes...or mine.  I don't want to be gumpy, but somehow it seems appropriate, at least in the morning. :mad:

These people who complain about grumpy old people are not smart enough to think why these people may be grumpy at them, they never think about how they intrude into others space only how others effect them when for the most part they caused the attitude. IMHO

Just respect others privacy and clean up after their selves and there are no problems. Just a crazy thought!!!!!

GIB said:
There was a bridge across the end of the bay about 2000 feet long arched up in the middle. The peddle people movers were not supposed to be on the bridge. The bridge was about 6 feet wide and the people movers about 4 feet wide. These people movers didn't steer very well. The teenagers would get up on the crown of the bridge and peddle down hill for all they were worth. You could loose a leg pretty easily.

One of the best doses of poetic justice I ever witnessed was on our trip to Yellowstone in 2007. We were (as the rules stated) walking our bikes across one of the many wooden walkways when a family (mom, dad and 2 kids) came at us riding their bikes. They did slow down to pass us but 2 of them could not steer well at the reduced speed and fell off the path and off their bikes. I'm 100% positive that they were mad at us for "making them fall"!

filosifur said:
I don't mean to hurt anyones feelings, but some parks seem to have a larger number of grumpy old people than others.  We are under 60 and retired and we are fulltimers.  Seems that so many parks have lots of stupid petty rules and if they are broken the "tattle tales" are out in force.  Even if no one is affected by the infraction, the complainers call FOUL loud and clear.  They even complain before a rule is broken.  My question is... has anyone found a park, not necessarily age restricted, that doesn't RULE you to death and doesn't reward the complainers/whiners with strict enforcement?
Both under 60 and retired and fulltiming is very very rare in this day and age. Most people I know have to wait till over 60-65 so their SS stuff kicks in. good to see.

SeilerBird said:
I was 53 and retired when I started full timing. I guess I am rare ;D

Tom, since being on the same forums for a few years, I've kind of thought of you as a rare bird. ;D
I hope I fit in the same category.

SeilerBird said:
I was 53 and retired when I started full timing. I guess I am rare ;D
I never said it does not happen its just not usuall.Most people in their age range still work due to social dutys as raising kids,paying off the house mortgage etc etc.Of course if u never buy a house and never have kids etc and live frugul enough  one can easly retire and fulltime at 53.Depnds of course if u want a 4 slide 41ft diesel pusher or a 30Ft classC .Depends if u stay in state Rv parks or fancy RV resorts
I personally would only retire if my house,vehicles,and a decent RV like a DP were paid in full and had plenty of cash in the bank.Which is what i did before I retired.I like RVing for 5 months and my house for 7 months.to each their own as they say.

Then there are those of us who made our money the old fashioned way......we inherited it.    :)

Kidding of course....I'm 49, and looking to retire in 6 years.  To me though, "retire" doesn't mean stop working....it means working at something I enjoy, rather than what pays the most.  It also means 25 hours a week instead of 50-55.  We've made a lifetime out of living well below our means, and paying cash for everything.  It has worked out well.  We did inherit some....but not what you might think....it accounts for about 20% of our nest egg. 

And I'd love to go full timing....but I hear through the grapevine that RV parks are full of grumpy old men.  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom