Would replacing house bettery disconnect solenoid cause dash radio to quit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1943D18

So I recently had to replace the house battery disconnect solenoid on my class C motorhome.  Everything works fine now, *except* the dash stereo won't power up (won't do anything).  I had always assumed that it was wired into the chassis battery but now I'm suspecting maybe the house battery.  The solenoid has two fuses, and the tech that installed it said that the fuse on one side was not necessary. Now I'm wondering if there is a connection between that, and the fact that my dash radio is not working.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

Some motor homes have a switch near the radio that will change the power source from the chassis battery to the house system so that you don't need to leave the key on while parked.  (From what I have read, these switches are not always well or logically marked.) This seems to say the second fuse may indeed be required as long as the two are not in series on the same wire.

In changing out the solenoid did a small wire get left off perhaps?? Did that fuse get removed/cut out/blown by that "knowledgeable" mechanic?? Parts like this are seldom added for no reason, and sometimes these relay connection points can be used as tie-in battery feed points for  other circuits.

I almost always like to put things back together same as original.  I would start there. 

Never did know why the disconnect relay has 2 fuses.    Mine does.  Could be one fuse for "OFF" and one fuse for "ON".
But if your relay works with one fuse I'm clueless.    I would rather doubt the relay replacement and the radio failure are related.    Did you check the radio fuse?
Jim

Well, you might need a new radio. My neighbor had his battery replaced at the local Firestone store. When he got home no radio. He went to the GMC dealer who told him that the radio needed to be replaced as it was damaged by not properly replacing the battery. Firestone did do the replacement. I have no details, however, if this is the case and you need more info let me know.
Jim

Hey gang - I don't have the solution to the problem, yet, although the manufacturer did confirm with me that the dash radio is in fact connected to the coach (house) battery. I can also confirm that there is no power going to the radio, and of course there was before the solenoid was replaced. So...I'll report back after further exploration! 

It helps if you tell us what year and make of motor home and what chassis.  I have it in my profile and it show on all my posts.  Regards Dick

In addition to what nvrvr said, many coaches have a switch on the dash that permits the power to be changed from the chassis battery to the house batteries. The purpose of that is to enable you to use the radio while camping without having to leave the keys in the ignition and in the aux or other position.

That said, if you have such a switch (may not be too well marked) try changing the position. The next point will be to find where the power is taken from (where the wire feeding the switch or the radio itself is attached). Places like solenoids are good attachment points so check for any orphan wires hanging around there as it may have been left off or replaced incorrectly when the change was made. There may also be an inline fuse somewhere about there that has been blown.

As nvrvr said, coach info is most desirable and putting it in your profile (menu above) is the best way to display it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom