Installing Sirius antenna on a Class C with a Ford Chassis.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arne

Our 2013 ACCESS is Sirius ready, but it does not have a satellite antenna.  I will buy one and string a cable from the Ford dash to the roof.  Anybody done this before?  If so how did you route the cable?  Through the refrigerator duct?

Also, there are two types of antennas, one is Magnetic, one is not.  Which one did you choose?

Finally, I thought "Sirius ready" meant that the receiver and antenna was there. All I had to do was to pay for the service.  Not so.  I should have read the fine print more carefully.

Arne

Thanks. I will get the antenna for non metallic roofs. Unfortunately, in a class c the a pilar does not lead to the. Roof,  so I need another approach.
Arne

On my Class C Ford E-450 I could get to the pillar from the cab over section. Went from roof to cab over and then through corner of cab over to A pillar. Mine was a Four Winds Fun Mover.

My installer ran the XM wire up the inside front cap and drew it out through the roof marker-lights. About 6 inches of wire are exposed, the antenna was attached to the roof with silicon adhesive. It has stayed in place for 7 years now.

Thanks. That works well on a class A. On a class c,  there is no direct path from the windshield to the cab-over.  I think the cable must be routed further back, to some place behind the passenger door before there is clear access to the roof.  However all suggestions are appreciated.

Arne

You can often route cables from the roof to the interior through the refrigerator exhaust vent.

You really don't need to mount the antenna outside if you can find an out of site place in the top of a cabinet below the fiberglass roof. Fiberglass is virtually transparent to radio signals. You can use the magnetic antenna if you provide a suitable ground plane for it. I used a 5" square piece of flat perforated metal  used to join wooden beams from Lowes. It works well although reception with the mag mount is virtually non existent without the metal. If you mount it outside on the FG roof, you will still need to use a piece of metal for the ground plane. Winnebago does but it is not really noticeable on OEM installations as they cover most of it with sealant.

I mounted my XM (same as Sirius) antenna on the steel cross-bar in the 14" plastic roof vent.  The magnet holds it just fine, it doesn't interfere with opening or closing the vent and it's high enough to "see" over the body of the RV in all directions.  Then it's just a matter of running the wire through the interior to the radio - you don't have to worry about getting the wire outside.

You can use the magnetic antenna if you provide a suitable ground plane for it.

I've found the exact opposite.  The magnetic puck antenna works about the same with or without a ground plane, regardless of the surface it's mounted on, or even hanging in midair.

You guys are great. It never occured to me that I could mount the antenna on the inside of the fiberglass cabover. Thismopens,op manynpossibilities. Since the magnetic mount cost less than the other mount. That will be my choice.

Arne

Arne said:
You guys are great. It never occured to me that I could mount the antenna on the inside of the fiberglass cabover. Thismopens,op manynpossibilities. Since the magnetic mount cost less than the other mount. That will be my choice.

Arne

That's how I started with my 31' Four Winds Class C. I found out going in certain directions the AC and satellite dome blocked the signal. Tried it on both Class A's that I have had subsequent to the Class C with the same problem, even on the latest Winnebago Adventurer with basement AC. With the marine antennas I have never had a problem with reception.

John:
I have mine mounted in the side overhead front compartment above the drivers seat. The old Winn antenna is in the same area. Obviously you have to keep it away a distance from roof obstructions to get a clear view of the satellite(s?). Did you use a ground plane with the mag mount? If you didn't, that could have been the issue causing poor or no reception. I found you need at least 2 inches of ground plane around the antenna for proper reception.

I did actually use a 12" square of 20 ga steel. It makes a difference where you are driving in North America. I had the most problems driving in the northern states.

Back
Top Bottom