Slide leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

99WinAdventurer37G

I've camped many a time in the rain, leveled with the slide out and no leaks.  Last night, seeing a weather warning ahead, I stopped at a WM to get new wipers, etc., it started a light mist, so I decided to put the slide out and clean the carpet while it blew over.  I took a nap and woke up to a windy thunderstorm.  The fabric under the top slide part that seals to the side started to get wet.  I put the slide back in and wiped the water off.  So now I'm not sure if I have an actual leak that requires a new slide seal, or if I made a fatal newbe mistake by putting the slide out in a storm without leveling first.  In the morning when I got out and looked at it, I was leaning a lot more to the right than I thought, or should have been.  The slide goes out the driver side, and I was leaning to the passenger side.  There wasn't much water, and it dried up in a few hours.  I'm thinking with the strong wind and rain that woke me up, it somehow blew in.  The seal looks good, but on the slide where the seals come together at the corners, they don't meet, I was thinking of filling the gaps at the corners with silicone.  Or, should be replacing it with a new slide seal?

There was a discussion here www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=60001.0 about a similar issue.

Wind over 25 mph driving rain has defeated more than one slide seal. Our most recent experience was the wind driving rain down the rooftop air conditioners and it followed the ducts out a vent. Water does funny stuff when it finds an opening and has the wind to help it.  8)

They look new, but they join at the corners and are not touching at the corners.  I was thinking about adding caulk at the corners.  The place I bought it from probably just gets bulk straight seal and they put in on the four sides, instead of getting one four sided seal.  That's my guess.  I never had a problem until I sat through this storm.  The wind was throwing the RV side to side with the rain which is what woke me up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom