MPG small Class C...V10 vs 6.0 Chevy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougsrv4mx

I'm looking at the Freelander 24ft Class C, my Airstream 22 is a little small for the Misses. I have found used with the 6.0/350 Chevy and the Ford 6.8 V10. Which would get better MPG? I'm not towing so power shouldn't be a problem. I checked the banks website and they don't list any mods for the Chevy 350 in a Class C. Any info would be appreciated.

Gas mileage with an RV is more related to the wind resistance of the front of the vehicle rather than the weight or engine size. I think that it would be six of one and half a dozen of another. All RVs get lousy mileage.

Don't pick one over the other for gas milage.  The fuel cost difference isn't likely to be a significant  factor.  Pick the one that fits your living needs the best.

I have the v-10 and can get 10 mpg if I keep the speed under 65 mph. I don,t have the cab over bunk so wind resistance should be less which must help. I really do like the power of the V-10, it is really nice to have some power in reserve.

P.S. I say this from the perspective of not being a huge Ford fan, but owning this rv is shaping my Ford perspective for the better.

The 6.0 isn't a 350, 350 is a 5.7. The 6.0 is 385, which has a longer stroke, and more torque. Either should be capable for a 24 footer.

Lowell said:
Don't pick one over the other for gas milage.  The fuel cost difference isn't likely to be a significant  factor.  Pick the one that fits your living needs the best.
The floorplan is the same, just trying to decide which engine to look for. I drive my RV about 600 miles every weekend and mpg is very important. Anyone out there with the Chevy 6.0 in a small C, what are you getting?

Between 9.0 and 10.5 with big factor being whether you are keeping it at 60 mph or lower.  It keeps dropping as lead foot gets heavier  ;D  Wind and hills will affect it as well.  I get better mileage not using cruise control so disengage if driving hills.

The whole problem is you can't really compare gas mileage figures from different individuals. There are too many ways to calculate gas mileage and speedometers are usually not very accurate.

Dougsrv4mx said:
The floorplan is the same, just trying to decide which engine to look for. I drive my RV about 600 miles every weekend and mpg is very important. Anyone out there with the Chevy 6.0 in a small C, what are you getting?

Yes, I can see that if you drive that much every weekend, milage wouild be important.  It would be nice if you could try each one out somehow.

We have a 25 ft class c with a Chevy 350.  We averaged 9.9 mph on a 2200 mile trip to SD and back
Last summer. The 350 CID performed well. No complaints.

SeilerBird said:
The whole problem is you can't really compare gas mileage figures from different individuals. There are too many ways to calculate gas mileage and speedometers are usually not very accurate.

This reminds me of a lady I spoke with in a gas station a few years back. She an I both drove Honda Oddyseys and she mentioned that she loved hers except for the HORRIBLE gas mileage, 12 mpg. I said that I  liked mine also and my gas mileage was ok. She asked me what I got and I replied 17 or 18 around town and maybe 25 on the highway. She became agitated. She said something like with a 20 gallon tank you should be able to go a lot farther than 250 miles. She finished pumping first, so I walked over to read her pump and it was 14. something gallons. I mentioned that she only used 14. something gallons, she replied that it holds 20 gallons! Still agitated, maybe more so. She seemed to be waiting for me to say something so I said something like Yes, you are right it does HOLD 20 gallons and I wished her good luck and finished up with my pump, while she drove off.

Wonder if her HORRIBLE mileage ever got better!?

Have you thought about something like a Winnebago Via (25 1/2' Class A) or View (24 1/2' Class C)?  They are built on the Sprinter.  Either should get into the mid-teens mpg.

Fran

SunriseSunset said:
Have you thought about something like a Winnebago Via (25 1/2' Class A) or View (24 1/2' Class C)?  They are built on the Sprinter.  Either should get into the mid-teens mpg.

Fran
That is my first choice, I just missed a used one this week. I really like the outside storage on the Freelander C model, it's huge.

Given identical motor homes under 25 feet in over-all length, it seems the Chevy/GM-6.0L-V8 will yield a 10% improvement in fuel economy over the Ford-6.8L-V10, and the same as the smaller Ford-5.4L-V8.  The Sprinter-V6 diesel would yield a 50% improvement over the Ford-6.8L-V10.

This based on lots of MPG chatter on another RV forum.

I am thinking of buying a 2008 Holiday Rambler Agusta 29', however it has a Chev 6.0 engine which has a little less power so I am not sure now on this unit. I too was wondering about gas milege but figured they might both be close give or take a mile or two.

I drove a 2006 LAze Daze with the V10 and I liked it because it seemed not so loud in the cab, which i am sure is due to the Quality Contruction of the LD. I am torn between slides and no slides! ugh and now the difference from the Chev 6.0 and the V10! So now I have thrown out the mileage because it varies. Now next is does the difference in horse power matter because it's such a small difference like the miles per gallon?

Just something to think about...

Here's my perspective (FWIW). How much someone drives in a given period of time will cause fuel expenses between different coaches, with different MPG ratings, to be more noticeable. The average RV only rolls about 5000 miles per year so it would obviously be up to each individual to determine what's acceptable to them.

You can significantly affect your MPG in a motorhome by driving slower, but each coach has its own "sweet spot". My 32 foot Allegro with a Ford V-10 consistently gets 9 MPG at 63 MPH. I once drove a long leg through Oregon at 70 MPH and averaged 7.5 MPG. (I'm still working so my travel time on vacations isn't as leisurely as I'd like.)

After owning two Class A's over several years, (and about to buy a third), it's my opinion that a coach's amenities and floorplan are far more important than a difference in a few MPG, but that's a reflection of my priorities, not anyone else's.

One more thing... Like someone above posted, I've never been a Ford guy, but the Triton V-10 in my coach has never caused me ANY  problems. It's the lower HP version of what they put in newer coaches but I've never felt that it was under-powered. Our next coach will be a DP but if I were going to buy another gas coach, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy one with a Ford V-10.

Kev

We just traded our 2005 Gulfstream Vista Cruiser (Class B Sprinter).  We put 76000 miles on it and loved the 20-22mpg.  Our new camper is a Forest River 3010DS (Ford E-450) which gets about 9mpg.  It's much larger and a lot more comfortable.  While the Sprinter van got much better mileage, it was not necessarily cheaper to own.  The cost of diesel fuel is almost $1.00 more per gallon.  My DH can change the oil on the Ford easily in less than an hour.  The Sprinter required more complicated maintenance and if you don't change that blasted fuel filter, you will be stuck and have to be towed.  :)

For those who understand the Mercedes diesel and can do maintenance themselves, it may make sense, but for us, the maintenance was a headache.  It cost us well over $100 per oil change and the fuel filter needs to be changed at least every 15000 miles.  There are not many places here that will work on it and our mechanic said that the 80K maintenance would run about $1500-2000. 

The biggest downside I see to the 30ft Class C is that it is not as convenient to drive in the cities.  You have to be more cautious parking and getting fuel, etc.  The Class B was more like driving a van.  It was great for touring, but lousy for spending time inside.  MPG is not the only consideration in the RV market. 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom