EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Propane 101 - an excellent article for laymen & Rvers  (Read 29407 times)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Propane 101 - an excellent article for laymen & Rvers
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2015, 09:15:53 PM »
There are both high and low pressure LP hoses. If the extension is after the regulator, then the gas pressure is very low and no problem. If you run a hose from tank to a remote regulator, you need either gas pipe or high pressure hose because the line is basically operating at tank pressure. I've used low pressure extensions as long as 20 ft.

If you are talking about a fixed LP tank in a motorhome (as opposed to DOT portable LP bottles), you cannot connect anything to the "RV tank fill valve" (fill port). There is a separate outlet port of an fixed (ASME) LP tank to make connections. Normally that outlet is piped to a regulator and any further connections are made after the regulator.

Sorry I could not give a simple answer, but I did not want to risk a simple yes or no when the question is somewhat vague.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 09:17:57 PM by Gary RV Roamer »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

malexander

• ---
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2016, 08:30:57 PM »
The fill valve on the large tanks should only let the gas go one direction. Now I know there's only one valve on the 25, 30, 100# tanks, but the larger ones, strapped to the frame(s) of MHs, atleast all the ones I've seen, basically have a check valve in the fill "hole".
Marshall Alexander
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N DP, 2008 GL 1800 Goldwing, 2007 VTX 1300, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S19 Venterra

fortsmithman

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2016, 01:40:18 PM »
I used to work at a store here in Canada that did propane cylinder exchanges, and we could not accept a cylinder that was 10 years or older, unless it was re certified.

justhavefun

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2016, 07:43:19 AM »
Hello everyone I'm new to this site but not to camping. We have been camping from tents to pop-up camping since our first in 2012 with over 20 more days more of planned camping trips this year and with 6 nights already camped this year. We are fixing to up grade to a new Laredo 330rl TT. And I am just doing my homework on how to transport food we now use a cooler or shop close to campsite just because its difficult to find the time to open camper and get frig cold before leaving (unless we are going on a long distance camping trip) our camper is a 3 way but just a pain to turn it on. After everything I have read on running with propane on and re frig running. I am going to travel with re frig running (except while at gas station) the propane lines and flames are not inside campers but outside and I will always be running with a roof vent open to keep it cooler and don't believe that the propane could get to dangerous levels to fear an explosion. I have come across a good article that explains camper propane systems and safety I put a link below

http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id44.html

http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id44.html :)
Rob & Alicia and kids
2013 F250 4x4 2005 Fleetwood Niagara

suza

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2016, 09:54:56 PM »
There are both high and low pressure LP hoses. If the extension is after the regulator, then the gas pressure is very low and no problem. If you run a hose from tank to a remote regulator, you need either gas pipe or high pressure hose because the line is basically operating at tank pressure. I've used low pressure extensions as long as 20 ft.

If you are talking about a fixed LP tank in a motorhome (as opposed to DOT portable LP bottles), you cannot connect anything to the "RV tank fill valve" (fill port). There is a separate outlet port of an fixed (ASME) LP tank to make connections. Normally that outlet is piped to a regulator and any further connections are made after the regulator.

Sorry I could not give a simple answer, but I did not want to risk a simple yes or no when the question is somewhat vague.

Our old RV had an exterior propane valve for hooking up a gas grill.  We never used it as we have a Baby Webber charcoal BBQ.  We were confused as to what you can actually hook up to the connection which I understand is regulated.  Some grills have built in regulators and some don't?  Hooking up an already regulated grill would result in too low of pressure to operate?

Our new RV (MH) also has the outdoor port.  We intend to still use the Webber BBQ, but wondering if a propane camp stove that operates off a disposable cylinder can be connected to it with a quick connect hose, or does the camp stove have its own regulator?  It is confusing.

Here is the stove we have: http://www.sears.com/texsport-propane-stove-super-high-output/p-00644413000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&gclid=CjwKEAjwsYW6BRCTzvu5y8DPhi0SJABnGLlHIkSR0S0MNBp5HgtPNH8_tiqpLTyLIE8ajCXecDZLsxoCgpHw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 09:56:33 PM by suza »
Ray and Susan Huff
2017 LTV Unity TB
2014 Cougar 279RKS (retired)

pnkdmnd

• ---
    • My blog
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2017, 03:41:49 PM »
Thank you for the article! I am new at the RV life and I have been very uncomfortable at using the gas but this makes me feel a little better.

NomadDonna

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2017, 07:02:32 PM »
Anyone know why my frig works fine on 110/generator but not on propane?(it gets. 'Behind' in hot weather....had cleaned 3 separate times/places

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2017, 08:21:50 AM »
Mine is the other way around... Suspects include the burner orifice (Clogged) burner adjustment (Clean blue flame, no red or yellow please, no smoke) Clogged flu, bird's nest upper end, mud daubbers, et-al.   Beyond that all i can suggest is the addition of fans both outside and in.. Fans inside tend to reduce ice build up on the fins and circulate cold better

Fans outside help with the cooling.. I have 2 of each.   All are standard computer type fans (like the power supply fan on your desktop)
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

NomadDonna

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2017, 06:37:34 PM »
OK thnx..... but shouldn t cleaning have uncovered this? I paid them about $70 ....3 times....shouldn t it have been covered?   

denmarc

• ---
  • "I put a spell on you!"
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2017, 02:43:28 AM »
OK thnx..... but shouldn t cleaning have uncovered this? I paid them about $70 ....3 times....shouldn t it have been covered?

It depends. You mentioned that the fridge lacks in cooling during hot weather. How hot are we talking? Descriptions of temperature can be described in a variety of relative terms. That all depends on where you are and what you're accustom to.

My suggestion...
Put a fridge thermometer inside for a few days on 110v/genny and record the temps. under normal use. Then switch over to LP and do the same. That should give you a good average interior temp using both power sources.
Post your findings.

Lets find out just what the temp difference is between the two and go from there.
Mark

1994 Jayco Eagle 370FB on 24 acres of paid off paradise in Michigan.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

NomadDonna

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2017, 10:44:00 AM »
Items....I keep a thermometer in fridge now and because I LIVE in my RV, I m able to monitor constantly: here s some notes: I live in Southern cal, during the winter, it's fine but when the temp climbs to 80 ish is when I watch food; when it gets to 90+, I ve been moving a couple items to the freezer(the temp climbs to 70 in-- i m careful to keep all meat frozen)..... I did check while plugged in (rare) and the temp went up 20 degrees in 3 hours....... So pretty sure I m on track there. I ordered an orifice from Dometic now, will have that replaced next..... What do you think will come of that?

H5-Phil

• ---
  • Penryn, CA. (foothills of the Sierra)
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2017, 11:38:20 AM »
We tow a 2004 Alumascape TT (Holiday Rambler).  We have NEVER traveled with the refrigerator running.  In fact, we turn off the propane at the tanks.  We've been on the road for 12+ hours in hot weather and items in the freezer are still frozen and still cold in the fridge (and I'm a stickler for a cold beer after a long drive ;).  This might seem like overkill but it eliminates having to turn off the propane during fueling and gives us peace of mind on the road.

Phil & Karen
Phil & Karen with Crash, our 'guard' Dachshund
KE6HUL / KE6NYJ
2014 F-350 Diesel XLT. with Leer shell
2004 31' Alumascape TT

Hosted by Over The Network