HILO trouble shooting help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OQQDENIS

Hi!
    I'm new here. I just bought a used    hilo towlite  26 ft 2001.
The battery was dead so we used jumper cables and the  trucks battery.
It checked out good at the sellers house; we raised it and lowered it a number of time with no problems.
  Now that it's in front of my place under the exact same hook up  (jumper cables) the top won't go up
the dc lamps don't work the only item that works is the electric hitch jack/leveler.
  I've talked to the previous owner;  read all of the owners manual and have a call  into the hilo dealer.
    Can somebody help?[br]Date Posted: July 08, 2006, 02:59:42 PMHad trouble raising my HILO. Found that the battery was dead. Used jumpers and car battery and everthing was fine; until I got home and tried raising it the same way (jumper cables)  Now I don' have any juice in the camper for lights or appliance or for the  raising device
  It seems that the only equipment that works is the hitch lift/jack/leveler. check everything that I knew to check. Read the owners manual.
  Can someone please help me?

Do you have lights if you hook up a battery charger to the battery? 

There are two terms that apply to batteries w/o power  Dead and Flat

A dead battery is run down, it will accept (and one hopes) hold a charge and work if re-charged

A flat battery is toast, replace it, it will not hold a charge (NOTE: Recycle please)

Now, if you plug into the house (assuming the righ has a built in battery charger) and an hour later you still have nothing... Then your converter is toast or... You have a blown fuse somewhere in the rig,  Alas, not always in the logical place.  I can walk you through the procedure if needed but mostly it involves testing for voltage using either a voltmeter or test light at a number of points

I see in the other thread that it won't go up now with jumper cables connected.. But the leveling jacks work

Ok, First, check your jumpers, they can be poor connecting, however if this was the case I'd not think the jacks would work as they are heavy duty power users.

However next check all connections, espically near the battery, and check your fuses,  Using a test light connect to the battery and verify the light works

Then move the clip to the chassis, again make sure it lights

Now move down the wires, look for fuses or connections and make sure it lights

Hey Hi:  thank you for the prompt reply.
  I have a voltage tester but since the top is down I'll have to raise it manually to get to yhe battery compartment.
I've found the circuit breaker and I guess I'll just have to serch for the fuses as I go.
      ThankYou again:::Denis

Checking the Hi-Lo site I don't find on-line manuals for the 2001's however I'm wondering how much the models change from year to year.

Here is a link you might find useful Contact Hi-Lo

Unlike so many companies there is no unline manual you can download.  However there is this

Hi-Lo Trailers
500 S. Main Street - P.O. Box 577
Bellville, Ohio 44813

Phone: 419-886-0066
Fax: 419-886-0099

Back
Top Bottom