EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: New Poll: Who Has Attended The Most Annual Quartzsite RV Forum Rallies?  (Read 15259 times)

rsalhus

• ---
  • '01 Rexhall Vision DP

OK, I guess I'm the curious one here who wants to know who has been to the most Quartzsite RV Forum Rallies; so I am taking a poll to find out who has attended the most RV Forum (yearly) Rallies in Quartzsite and who has the current and longest streaks of consecutive years attending these rallies in past years.

To keep it simple, only count the years that you attended the RV Forum Rallies (i.e., you parked your RV alongside others in the RV Forum group during the rally) and (if you want) indicate the AVERAGE number of days that you stayed at these rallies each year in the past (if you know).

Only include counts for the annual Quartzsite RV Forum Rallies (they are usually held in January) and the average number of days you camped at the RV Forum rally site each year (if you should happen to know). Don't include numbers for the rally in the year 2013 as that is yet to come.

To partake in the poll, just post a reply below with your Name(s) and your 4 inputs in a format like this:

R & S Salhus,6,6,6,12

to indicate your personal poll input.  I'll summarize the data in tabular form (like below) after we get a number of inputs.

Current Streak         Longest Streak        Total # of RV Forum           Average Stay
Name(s)                   (In years)                 (In years)             QZ Rallies Attended             (In days)
____________     ____________        ____________        ________________          ___________

R & S Salhus                   6                               6                                   6                                 12

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 03:43:42 PM by rsalhus »
Rolf Salhus
Currently at:  Our home in Apple Valley, MN

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: New Poll: Who Has Attended The Most Annual Quartzsite RV Forum Rallies?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 04:08:04 PM »
Oh gosh ... that's going to require some thought.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 04:09:09 PM »
You already have my record, Rolf.  Just add 1997 to it.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

rsalhus

• ---
  • '01 Rexhall Vision DP
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 04:37:25 PM »
Ned, how come I always have to enter your poll inputs for you?  :'( :'( ;D   Aside from that, here is how I see your poll entry:

N & L Reiter,2,9,14,6

Is that how you want it recorded?
Rolf Salhus

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 05:05:55 PM »
Sure, thanks Rolf.
2007 GMC Canyon

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 05:10:22 PM »
I have only been to two :'(
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 06:14:27 PM »
The requirement that we must have lined up with the group voids my statistic of 10 years of participation.  The year I had cancer (2001) and the year I had a mild stroke (2004) we only drove out from Brenda for the potluck so we could see everyone.  It doesn't matter .... I have many pleasant memories of getting together with this forum group and that is what is important to me.  Wouldn't trade a minute of it all.  ;D

Margi

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 08:51:54 PM »
Tom:     I checked the records and came up with this:

R & S Marabito, 0,4,7,14

Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer
http://picasaweb.google.com/remarabito

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 06:25:19 AM »
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin; 0 or 14, 11 or 14, 12 or 14, 12 or 14

Calculations based on how you treat the 2010 and 2012 rallies when we were only there for 2 days each before most attendees arrived. There were some there during the time we were parked before moving over to INTO or returning home. Use the first number if you want to ignore 2010 and 2012, use 14 for all 4 questions if they meet your criteria.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

rsalhus

• ---
  • '01 Rexhall Vision DP
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 01:49:23 PM »
Tom and Margi, and others, I don't mind adding footnotes to make things clearer (see the footnotes below).   Here's  how the results look so far:

Current Streak       Longest Streak        Total # of RV Forum       Average Stay
Name(s)                   (In years)               (In years)            QZ Rallies Attended          (In days)
________________     ________________        _________________         _____________________        ______________
T & B Brewer*2             4                           10                                   15                         10-50
N & L Reiter                   2                            9                                    14                             6
B & M Dobrin*1          0 or 14                 11 or 14                          12 or 14                  12 or 14
R & S Marabito               0                            4                                     7                            14
R & S Salhus                  6                             6                                    6                            12
T Seiler                          2                             2                                    2                              8
B & J Whetstone            1                            1                                     1                              6

Footnotes:
     *1            Dobrins didn't park with the RV Forum group for the entire rally for years 2010 and 2012.
     *2            Terry Brewer is the only original RV Forum member still attending these rallies.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:54:47 PM by rsalhus »
Rolf Salhus

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 02:01:01 PM »
My average stay in days was 8.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 02:03:03 PM »
Hmm, my most days in Q I was not parked at the rally. 

So 1 year, 6 days. 

Include my visit the rally year and we can add 90 days to stay, but north a couple miles.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Daisy

• ---
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 04:13:25 PM »
I would guess Terry Brewer would win that one.  The only time I remember him missing is the year they went to Mexico recently.  His first one would have been Jan. 1995.

Daisy
Daisy.  Location:  Sometimes here, Sometimes there.  All depends on the mood of the moment!

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 09:31:48 PM »
Terry Brewer    4,10,15 Average stays  between 10 and 90 days. 

*Only original RVForum attendee still attending.

Now do you want to talk about the entertainment activities over the years?
Betty Brewer

see where we are

rsalhus

• ---
  • '01 Rexhall Vision DP
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 11:04:49 PM »

Betty, sure, I think that would be interesting too, but wouldn't that be thread drift?   ???

Reply #9 above has been modified to show the latest poll additions.

Rolf Salhus

MikeCoke

• ---
    • Mike and Wendy's RV Travels
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 02:24:22 AM »
Mike & Wendy   
Lawrence                       7                           7                          7                                   11

Our first Q rally was in 2006 and we have not missed one since
Mike

(edit: Mike didn't check my camping log, average stay was 11 days)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:00:08 PM by Wendy »
Mike, Wendy & Gordon our Yellow Lab
2015 Tiffin Allegro 31SA with Inverter & Generator and soon to have Solar Panels
Toad 1973 Yellow VW Beetle
Retired NPS Ranger

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 08:55:46 AM »
The Cousins are 7,7,7,7. We showed up with Mike and Wendy in 2006.

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 12:02:25 PM »
The Cousins are 7,7,7,7. We showed up with Mike and Wendy in 2006.

7-7-7-7 Wow, go buy a lottery ticket :)
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

rsalhus

• ---
  • '01 Rexhall Vision DP
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 12:24:09 PM »

Here's the latest poll results:

Current Streak       Longest Streak      Total # of RV Forum         Average Stay
Name(s)                      (In years)               (In years)           QZ Rallies Attended            (In days)
_______________  ____________      ____________      ________________         __________
T & B Brewer*2                 4                            10                              16                             10-92
N & L Reiter                       2                             9                               14                                6
B & M Dobrin*1              0 or 14                  11 or 14                     12 or 14                     12 or 14
M & W Lawrence                7                             7                                7                               11
J & S Cousins                     7                             7                                7                                 7
R & S Marabito                   0                             4                                7                                14
R & S Salhus                      6                             6                                6                                12
T Seiler                              2                             2                                2                                  8
B & J Whetstone                1                            1                                 1                                  6
E & D Gorber                      0                            1                                 1                                  5

Footnotes:     *1            Dobrins didn't park with the RV Forum group for the entire rally for years 2010 and 2012.
                      *2            Terry Brewer is the only original RV Forum member still attending these rallies.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:51:49 PM by rsalhus »
Rolf Salhus

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 12:27:28 PM »
Not that it matters because they aren't travelling any more and they didn't even want to go to Qtz the first year they went with us, but my parents went to Qtz 3 times and stayed 28 days each time they went. Moral of that story is, never say you don't like Quartzsite and will never go until you've actually been there. It kind of grows on you.

Wendy

Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 01:14:55 PM »
Terry Brewer    4,10,15 Average stays  between 10 and 90 days. 

How about WOW! moments?  Such as: the time Betty Brewer stepped out of her car wearing her drop-dead gorgeous "principal goes to a meeting" clothes instead of her usual camping attire.  Now that was a WOW! moment.

Margi

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 01:29:51 PM »
    Rolf, we can't compete for the longest streak, however, we can for the shortest.  We came in 2010, stayed 5 days, and because we bought a place in Florida, we likely won't be back early enough in the year to attend again.  Nevertheless, I think we could competed for on the entertainment side, we brought a Nor'Easter with us that blew over many of the exhibits, the creeks and washes were over full, and we had 2 years average rain fall in about 30 hours.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 02:04:53 PM »
Rolf, Terry has recalculated my figures and wishes to submit a correction.  He has attended an RVForum Rally at Quartzsite for 16 years.  Also  our  longest stay was 92 days.  We did that 2 years.

So  numbers should read 4, 10, 16, 10 to 92 days.
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 04:55:34 PM »
The Millers -- 4-8-12-10

Every year from 2000 thru 2012 except 2008. Missed 2008 but don't remember why. But Rolling Stock doesn't lie.
Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 05:57:07 PM »
Rolf, Terry has recalculated my figures and wishes to submit a correction.  He has attended an RVForum Rally at Quartzsite for 16 years.  Also  our  longest stay was 92 days.  We did that 2 years.

So  numbers should read 4, 10, 16, 10 to 92 days.

Betty:

Was that when you went back to school each week and took a shower? ::)

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 06:45:15 PM »
Betty:

Was that when you went back to school each week and took a shower? ::)

Something like that Jeff.  As  you recall Terry retired  5 full years before I was eligible for retirement and I commuted from Orange County California on weekends to join him in the desert.  I  know I took a shower more than once a week, even in Quartzsite.
Betty Brewer

see where we are

judway

• ---
  • We are at the house in West Melbourne, Florida
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 06:48:59 PM »
>>> Rolf, we can't compete for the longest streak, however, we can for the shortest.<<<

Judway: 0,0,0,0  ;D ;D
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
2017 Chevrolet Equinox LT
Remco Towbar, Demco Baseplate & Air Force One Brake
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
Retired Electrical Engineer (University of Cincinnati)
W4SRR

Barb

• ---
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 06:51:37 PM »
We didn't stay at the rally, but 2006 was our first year. So if your including 2013 are numbers are
7 7 8 5

We dove in, in our white chevy pu. We were greeted by a hansom man wearing cowboy boots. We ask for Ron. And he said Ron who. That's was the first time we met Don Miller.
Barb
2003 NRV Tradewinds LTC
2011 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited

rsalhus

• ---
  • '01 Rexhall Vision DP
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 01:13:14 PM »

Barb, we're not counting 2013 so I reduced your numbers to 6,6,7,5. 

Current Streak       Longest Streak      Total # of RV Forum         Average Stay
Name(s)                      (In years)               (In years)           QZ Rallies Attended            (In days)
_______________  ____________      ____________      ________________         __________
T & B Brewer*2                 4                           10                               16                             10-92
N & L Reiter                       2                             9                               14                                6
B & M Dobrin*1              0 or 14                  11 or 14                     12 or 14                     12 or 14
D & P Miller                        4                             8                               12                               10
M & W Lawrence               7                             7                                 7                               11
J & S Cousins                    7                             7                                 7                                 7
R & S Marabito                  0                             4                                 7                               14
F & B Weimert                   6                             6                                 7                                 5
R & S Salhus                      6                             6                                 6                               12
T Seiler                              2                             2                                 2                                 8
B & J Whetstone                1                             1                                 1                                 6
E & D Gorber                      0                             1                                 1                                 5

Footnotes:     *1            Dobrins didn't park with the RV Forum group for the entire rally for years 2010 and 2012.
Rolf Salhus

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 06:09:19 PM »
    Hey folks.  Don't overlook Bob Buchanan.  I know he was there everytime I was and a lot more.  Someone needs to ask him why he hasn't submitted.  He'd be right up there with Terry, or close anyway.

Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer
http://picasaweb.google.com/remarabito

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 10:42:28 AM »
    Hey folks.  Don't overlook Bob Buchanan.  I know he was there everytime I was and a lot more.  Someone needs to ask him why he hasn't submitted.  He'd be right up there with Terry, or close anyway.

Somewhere in the Forum archives is a picture (more than 10 years old) of me sitting in front of Bob's rig with my computer using Bob's satellite internet connection. He was among the first to wean us away from the acoustic coupler and to wi-fi connections in the desert.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ

therealsimpsons

• ---
  • Stan & Becky & Moe the Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 08:00:39 PM »
We are tied with judway, until next year!   ;D ;D
05 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV
400 HP C9 Cat
06 Honda CR-V toad with Blue Ox

Bob Buchanan

• ---
    • RV Space Manager reservation SW <c>
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 12:25:06 AM »
Just came across this thread - and actually am not 100% sure of my 1st year. It was either 98 or 99. I "do" remember that I was in my 5th Wheel that year that I purchased in 3/98. I also remember that I was greeted by Lou and and then Jane who had been camping there for awhile. Lou split for the Blue Grass thing in Blythe and Jayne was nice enough to show me around QZ - even though she had the flu.

Also, that first year I met Ron Marabito for the 1st time. His rig at the time had the loudest genset in QZ. So he parked pretty far down so as not to bother anyone. So Lou, Jane, or Ron -- was that 98? If so, here are my numbers:

Bob Buchanan      1     13     14     16

Unfortunately, I missed '11. Was half way there and had to turn back due to health problems. Otherwise my consecutive stays would have been 15. Not sure of my stay days, but have always been there over 2 weeks. In QZ itself for up to 90 day stays (see attached taken in October '01).

BTW, Rolf - the monospaced Courier Font face would align the columns.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:32:21 PM by Bob Buchanan »
Bob (fulltimer - Rocklin, CA residency)
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

Bob Buchanan

• ---
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 12:55:26 AM »
Somewhere in the Forum archives is a picture (more than 10 years old) of me sitting in front of Bob's rig with my computer using Bob's satellite internet connection. He was among the first to wean us away from the acoustic coupler and to wi-fi connections in the desert.

Thanks for remembering that, Bernie. Actually, I was the 1st forum member to set up a sat dish for internet - I believe. I bought it at the show from Ron Brundage for $600 that included one day of set up training. It was just a standard DirecWay roof dish mounted on a 2x4' piece of plywood. So it was right on the ground, leveled by shims, and weighted down by a concrete block. Ron Ruward then got his about 2 weeks later - and the rest is history.

Most all I asked for advice told me I would wind up behind bars because the FCC would cart me away if I did it - which turned out to be mostly propaganda by the then beginning roof mount folks at MotoSat. Have attached a picture of my mount on a park bench at BoomTown, Reno after leaving QZ. I liked that because I could use 2 C clamps to hold it down without the need for the concrete block. Ron and I set our dishes up the same way that year in Moab.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:00:33 AM by Bob Buchanan »
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 12:46:46 PM »
actually am not 100% sure of my 1st year. It was either 98 or 99. I "do" remember that I was in my 5th Wheel that year that I purchased in 3/98. I also remember that I was greeted by Lou and and then Jane who had been camping there for awhile.

Jayne first visited the rally in 1999.  I was there during my vacation and she took time off from her job in Olympia, WA and flew into Phoenix.  I met her at the airport and drove her to QZ.

I took a midlife break and fulltimed during 1999 and 2000.  Jayne and I caravanned from WA to QZ in late November and we stayed in QZ from the beginning of December 1999 until the end of February 2000.

Jan & Jean Hart and Terry Brewer were also staying at the rally site that year.  That's also the year we scored the load of campfire wood from the packing plant in Blythe.  They got a railroad car full of untreated 2x4s by mistake and were giving them to anyone that would haul them off.  I only wanted about half as much wood but they wouldn't stop loading my truck until it was completely full.

I went back to work in mid-2000, so except for the 2000 rally I had to fit Quartzsite into my vacation time.  Since my time was limited, I'd drive from San Francisco to Blythe and start out camping at the Blythe fairgrounds during the festival and then come over to the Rally on Monday.  Then return to SF and work when the rally was over.

It all runs together, which is why I haven't given Rolf a definitive accounting of my attendance.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:41:34 PM by Lou Schneider »

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 01:30:06 PM »
1999 was also the first of the New Year rallies.  Some of us wanted to be away from civilization when the Y2K catastrophe (never) came :)
2007 GMC Canyon

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2013, 11:43:40 AM »
To the best of my memory these are the numbers:

0  11  14  6

The old records were destroyed when we traded in the SeaBreeze and I am missing the records prior to 2009 so ...? Best guess is started in 1995, missed '97, missed '09, '11 & '12.

Jim & Pat
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

rsalhus

• ---
  • '01 Rexhall Vision DP
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 03:10:07 PM »

(Bob:  Thanks for the tip on aligning the columns.  I'm using the Andale Mono font (the only mono font I see listed.)  ;D )

Current Streak       Longest Streak      Total # of RV Forum        Average Stay
_____________  ___________      ___________      ________________       ___________
T & B Brewer*2                 4                           10                               16                                  10-92
N & L Reiter                       2                             9                               14                                     6
B Buchanan                       1                            13                              14                                    16
B & M Dobrin*1           0 or 14                  11 or 14                     12 or 14                          12 or 14
J & P Godward                   0                           11                               14                                     6
D & P Miller                       4                             8                               12                                    10
M & W Lawrence             7                             7                                 7                                    11
J & S Cousins                    7                             7                                 7                                     7
R & S Marabito                  0                             4                                 7                                   14
F & B Weimert                   6                             6                                 7                                     5
R & S Salhus                      6                             6                                 6                                   12
T Seiler                                2                             2                                 2                                     8   
B & J Whetstone               1                             1                                 1                                     6
E & D Gorber                      0                             1                                 1                                     5

Rolf Salhus

Bob Buchanan

• ---
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2013, 08:18:27 PM »
Rolf, not sure of that font name, but it doesn't appear to be a mono spaced font. Suggest using Courier. If mono spaced, every character will take up the same horizontal spacing. For example, an "i" and an "m".

iiiii     mmmmm (Andale mono)

iiiii     mmmmm
mmmmm     iiiii
(Courier)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 08:24:57 PM by Bob Buchanan »
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

rsalhus

• ---
  • '01 Rexhall Vision DP
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2013, 12:24:57 AM »

Rolf, not sure of that font name, but it doesn't appear to be a mono spaced font. Suggest using Courier.

Bob, I see what you're saying, but when I convert my (copied and pasted) table to the Courier font everything gets really messed up.  I don't usually set either the font or the font size on a typical reply, so I use whatever the default is until I run into a problem or someone suggests using a different font.  ::)

On another note, there's something goofy about the Font Face selection, as only 5 of the 10 available fonts appear to be selectable (i.e., only 5 of them show up in the Font Face box as being selected when one is manually selected; the rest show up as blanks.)  Also, selecting a Font Size appears to work OK for all selected sizes (except 36 pt), but none of the selected font sizes show up in the Font Size box when manually selected.

It also seems kind of unusual to me  that neither a default Font or a default Font Size shows up when I post a reply.  If one just starts typing text in the reply box, you have no way of knowing which font or font size is currently selected.  I probably should take this up with Tom, but when I do he and/or Ned usually find something wrong with my system or settings (and I end up eating crow).  :P
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:28:42 AM by rsalhus »
Rolf Salhus

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2013, 01:08:48 AM »
Rolf,

Try using the PRE(formatted) tag:

[ pre ]Put your info here[ /pre ]

Eliminate the spaces in the above, and forget trying to select a font.

Edit: For clarification, the Pre tag retains your local format, with no need to be concerned about forum default or optional fonts. Our default or optional fonts could change at any time, either through an update by the theme developers, or by our use of an alternative theme.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 07:23:44 AM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Bob Buchanan

• ---
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2013, 03:24:56 AM »
Rolf - here are a few lines done in Courier. Forget the Font Size. This type is the default whereas the data is done in Courier.

T & B Brewer *2            4                 10                  16             10-92
N & L Reiter               2                  9                  14                 6
B Buchanan                 1                 13                  14                16
B & M Dobrin*1       0 or 14           11 or 14            12 or 14          12 or 14
J & P Godward              0                 11                  14                 6

Am back in default font now. It is a bit tedious as you are typing in the default and have to go to Preview to see how things are lining up. However, after the first row, entering a new line is not that hard.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 03:29:24 AM by Bob Buchanan »
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2013, 09:23:32 AM »
Where are the Dick's?  They ought to be posted in there somewhere.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

rsalhus

• ---
  • '01 Rexhall Vision DP
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2013, 12:50:36 PM »

Bob, below is what the table looks like when redone in Courier font. I agree, a mono font is much easier to work with.  But I found out empirically that things still get goofy when copying and pasting from a previous post reply unless you use the option "Paste with plain text" instead of the normal "Paste" option.

Tom, I couldn't get the PRE option to work out because it seemed to take out all the CR and LF's, making the table one long continuous line.  Strange things happen when changing fonts and viewing the results with the preview option.  The text seems to get reformatted rather strangely sometimes.  I think Bob's suggestion to use the Courier font seems to work out the best when editing tables like what I've been doing.

Current Streak   Longest Streak   Total # of RV Forum    Average Stay
Name(s)          (In years)       (In years)     QZ Rallies Attended     (In days)
______________ ______________   ______________   ___________________    ____________

T & B Brewer*2       4                10                  16                10-92
N & L Reiter         2                 9                  14                  6
B Buchanan           1                13                  14                 16
B & M Dobrin*1    0 or 14          11 or 14            12 or 14           12 or 14
J & P Godward        0                11                  14                  6
D & P Miller         4                 8                  12                 10
M & W Lawrence       7                 7                   7                 11
J & S Cousins        7                 7                   7                  7
R & S Marabito       0                 4                   7                 14
F & B Weimert        6                 6                   7                  5
R & S Salhus         6                 6                   6                 12
T Seiler             2                 2                   2                  8   
B & J Whetstone      1                 1                   1                  6
E & D Gorber         0                 1                   1                  5

Rolf Salhus

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2013, 03:19:39 PM »
Works fine for me Rolf, always has, and, as I said, it's independent of forum fonts. Your formatting could fall apart if I or the developers change something. But, whatever floats your boat.

BTW if you hit the Modify button within 24 hours, you'll see that your table has a pair of  font tagsy on every line; It doesn't need the tags applied to each line.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 03:29:57 PM by Tom »

Bob Buchanan

• ---
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2013, 04:45:15 PM »
Rolf, Tom is correct here -- in that using the "pre" tag makes the job a lot easier. I wasn't aware that it existed.

The following was created in Notepad, then pasted between the "pre" tag markers. No problems with embedded code such as LF's. The nice part of this method is that you are using WYSIWYG when originating the data vs. having to guess and correct each item with Preview.

Bob Buchanan     92     45     4     23
Joe Jones         2     22    11    111
Henry White       3     33   444     33

Notepad "does" have a Courier font. Regardless of the origin of the data, a mono spaced font will be the best for keeping columns in line. Courier or Courier New is probably the most popular  mono spaced font and found in every form of word processor I have ever used so not likely it would be removed. OTOH, tabs can be used with more able word processors that will allow column alignment with most any font.
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2013, 06:41:57 PM »
The nice part of this method is that you are using WYSIWYG when originating the data vs. having to guess and correct each item with Preview.

Thanks Bob, that's  what I didn't explain very well. I use a plain text editor to compose tabulated data.

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2013, 08:08:50 PM »
OK ... I'll be the impolite one here and ask the obvious question:  who cares about statistics? 

We have such great memories of RV Forum rallies we attended.  We never once thought about who had been there the longest, or  first, or uninterrupted visits, whatever.  Who cares?  Really.

To those of you joining this group for the first time, or thinking you might want to join the group in the future, just remember the good times and treasure the friendships you will have the opportunity to make. 

You never know whether your available time to join this type of group will be one year, ten years, longer?  Treasure this particular year, and don't worry about the rest.  I really can't quantify the years we attended by the tabs in the tables.  Some were carefree years and some were interrupted by serious illness. 

But I know one thing for sure:  we grew to love the people who attended along with us, and we will never forget those times!  This is a good group of people -- the best -- and, if you're a newbie, sitting on the fence about attending, well DO IT.  ;D   If you attend for the first time -- you're one of our forum legacy treasures!

Margi

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2013, 08:26:41 PM »
Great message Margi, thanks for posting!

Good point re the stats; In my case, I couldn' t attend for the first 10 years or so due to work commitments, and continually traveling around the world. I was starting to have an inferiority complex and to feel "non participative" when Rolf started posting his stats  :(

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2013, 08:36:47 PM »
Margi,

Well said!!  We enjoy the friends we have made and really enjoy them even more when either they stop by or we manage to meet them while we are on  the road.  Just wish sometimes that we were all in the same locality more.    :)
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2013, 10:24:12 AM »
That is the way we feel. Marlene and I just attended our 15th consecutive WMHA rally in Indio. It is no longer for the seminars or vendors, but for meeting up with friends. We would love to be at QZ again just for the enjoyment of the desert and being with so many friends, but sometimes other commitments get in the way. So who really cares how many times or how long a streak? We are just happy we were able to be with the group for Catalina and at Indio.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ

Daisy

• ---
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2013, 11:40:14 AM »
Well said, Margi and Bernie.  The friends and fun times we made together were/are the most important part of QZ and our lives.  None of us early participants ever considered "statistics."   Fred and I were right up there with Terry until a few years ago, but we never even thought about how long or how much.  QZ is a happening, and numbers can't or shouldn't be a part of it.

Just go out there and have a great time.  I always considered that crazy week in QZ as a "seniors carnival" where the good times rolled......

Daisy
Daisy.  Location:  Sometimes here, Sometimes there.  All depends on the mood of the moment!

jmugs

• ---
  • Meandering from Tucson to Portland
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2013, 01:28:55 PM »
I've been to Q more times than I can count and have stayed for entire winters long before I knew about forums or how to use the internet. I have probably met many of you and didn't know you were part of a rally, so all these stats mean nothing to me either. I do, altho, have lots of fond memories and that's what matters to me.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. ~Edward Abbey

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2013, 01:50:13 PM »
What I find more interesting and exciting is how many First Timers we get in Quartzsite.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

jmugs

• ---
  • Meandering from Tucson to Portland
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2013, 02:05:43 PM »
I wanted to take Margie this year, but Dr appointments have us grounded for now.
We hope next year will find us there...maybe for the whole season.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. ~Edward Abbey

Bob Buchanan

• ---
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2013, 02:50:46 PM »
What I find more interesting and exciting is how many First Timers we get in Quartzsite.

For me as well, Wendy. And then those that return due to the good time they had on the first trek.

And I believe that was more of Rolf's intention here. I recall when he and Shirley arrived for their first RV Forum rally. And greeting them each year since. So his intent seems to be more of, "look how many times folks come to this rally for the first time, then return over and over again", rather than a bragging rights list.

Not sure of the exact numbers, but since I have been keeping attendee records (02 I think), plus extrapolating to the years prior to that there have probably been over 400 RV Forum rigs entering our Qz campsite either returning or as a new attendee.

So I would read from all the numbers and stats that there must be something good happening there . . .  :)
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

rsalhus

• ---
  • '01 Rexhall Vision DP
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2013, 06:05:03 PM »
OK ... I'll be the impolite one here and ask the obvious question:  who cares about statistics? 

Who cares about statistics?  I think we all do to a certain extent.  It's built into the memories we have.  Tom remembers that he couldn't attend for the first 10 years the Rally was held.  Bernie remembers that he has attended the WHMA Rally for 15 consecutive years.  Daisy remembers that they were "right up there with Terry" until a few years ago.  All of those memories surely were based on the statistics that are part of the memories they each hold.  No, they're certainly not more important than the memories themselves, just a part of them.

I mentioned in Bob's QZ thread that this will be our 7th consecutive year of attending the QZ rally which (I stated in jest) must be a record.  The responses to that statement are what induced me to start a poll to find out who has attended the Rally the most number of years.  I had no idea who had attended the most and thought it would be interesting to find out.   I certainly didn't mean to upset anyone by starting this poll, and if I did, I'm sorry.  I felt proud to be going to QZ for the 7th consecutive year, but now I feel like I stepped on somebody's feelings.
Rolf Salhus

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2013, 06:32:07 PM »
I certainly didn't mean to upset anyone by starting this poll, and if I did, I'm sorry.  I felt proud to be going to QZ for the 7th consecutive year, but now I feel like I stepped on somebody's feelings.

No, no, no I'm neither upset nor were my feelings stepped on.  I think you stated your reasons for starting the poll very well.  My post was aimed more at making sure new attendees would feel welcome rather than feeling like new kids on a well established block.  The Quartzsite rally improves and regenerates itself each time participants enter for the first time.

Margi
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:34:04 PM by Tom and Margi »

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2013, 07:23:19 PM »
I love statistics (ok, so I'm an accountant and my favorite classes in college were stat classes). How many years have you been RVing? How many different rallies have you attended? How many RVs have you had? What year was your first Quartzsite or Moab or Indio? How many jelly beans are in the jar ? Numbers are fun.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2013, 09:53:14 PM »
Rolf, unlike Wendy, I am not a numbers person, but I do cherish my memories.  I recall you and Shirley being  active first timers. I recall twisting your willing  arm to be in the "12 days of Christmas skit. " 

But  mostly I recall your use of a fire extinguisher as our neighbors( a classic memory.)   So I'm all about creating memories! Let the good times roll for  2013 Quartzsite rally!

Statistics aside...... Terry wins!   Can you see who I support in life?   tee hee hee hee
and who remembers frisbee golf?
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2013, 10:06:49 PM »
and who remembers frisbee golf?

I DO !!!  WARNING to all new Quartzsite participants.  Beware of "Betty Person".  She thinks of games in which you would never consider EVER participating, and then persuades you to participate anyway.  And, you have fun doing so!   (That's the dangerous part.)  She will single-handedly transform you from a grumpy old senior citizen into a person who smiles, and is nice, and befirends people, and contributes to charity ....  Clearly, she has to be stopped.  Terry ... can you help us?   ;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 10:32:05 PM by Tom and Margi »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2013, 11:01:37 PM »
Rolf, I don't think you stepped on anyone's feelings per se. Talking strictly data ....

I found the stats illuminating to an extent but, having spent a lot of time as both the creator/publisher and the recipient/analyst of statistics for much of my career, I'm the ultimate skeptic on any published stats.

I suspect that Bob's assumption about your motivation is correct and, as such, nobody should have a beef with what you're doing. Personally, I don't respond to "polls", so I tuned the topic out from the beginning, although I still read every message posted here.

Bottom line, I suspect that we'll be able to take your final results and use them to promote the QZ rally in particular, and all RV Forum rallies in general. So, keep up the good work.

Talking strictly non-data ....

What you see/read in the various comments is what I think you already know; It's people and personalities that make up our membership, and the personal relationships that have developed among our membership are deep and long lasting. Some/many of these relationships were forged during attendance at forum rallies, while others were forged during non-rally events/meetings.

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2013, 08:09:23 AM »
>>and who remembers frisbee golf?<<

Betty,

Was that New Years 2000 (1999/2000) at Quartzsite?

ken
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2013, 11:15:37 AM »
Ken, It may have been.  I know I was still working and I "borrowed " the frisbees and hula hoops for the weekend from my  school.  I  think Ron M won the round of golf.
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Daisy

• ---
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2013, 07:44:48 PM »
>>and who remembers frisbee golf?<<

Betty,

Was that New Years 2000 (1999/2000) at Quartzsite?

ken
Ken, It may have been.  I know I was still working and I "borrowed " the frisbees and hula hoops for the weekend from my  school.  I  think Ron M won the round of golf.

You are both correct.  It was the New Years of 1999/2000 when we went to watch the planes fall out of the sky as computers were supposed to fail and our first New Years party out on the desert, which has since evolved to Catalina SP.  The hula hoop golf game was our daytime entertainment, and I think we also played bean bag baseball.  Then there was some outrageous story about forgotten hula-hoops and a side trip to a school and some other nonsense that helped to entertain us.  It was a good time had by all.  I think it went on for a week or am I delusional again.

I forgot what we did with the frisbees, but must have been something fun. 

Daisy

lucyakers

• ---
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2013, 07:57:46 AM »
How do you all remember this? I know that our first year was 1996 when we stayed 3 weeks. Other years, I've stayed up to 14 days. I missed the year that the wind blew 61 mph and some other years here and there when temps were 30 or so.

Guess I need a Q journal!
George & Lucy
Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40'
Maricopa, AZ

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2013, 09:25:54 AM »
Bill,

I've been reading but didn't chose to respond. We started in 1997 but missed a few years in the 2000's. There's no way I can remember what years we missed but think we have been here at least 7 years.

Just deciphered Pat's notes on our trips. It seems we were here from 1997 through 2000. Missed 2001,2002, and 2004. Made it in 2005 but missed the rest of the rallies until this year. So it looks like this is our 7th year, as I suspected.  ;D

It is the friendships we made over those years that keep us wanting to come back. QZ itself is not exciting after the first couple of years. What I enjoyed were our long time friends and the off roading we use to do. Thanks to Chris, this year I got to drive his Jeep on The Ridge Ride. It had been 8 years since I did that last.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Hosted by Over The Network