Going from towable to MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ironrat said:
I think the point that of your comment "It's hard to be happy when I've left $5 - 10,000 on the table." shows that you really are not ready to buy just yet. There really is no monies left on the table when one buys the unit they like and see the value in the unit they laid the money out for not, oh god I left some money on the table!! Look you paid the money that you thought was fair and it doesn't matter one little bit how much the other party made or loss on the deal!

X2-Absolutely!

The issue is typically after the sale, everything is cool, and some buddy tells the story that you should have gotten it for less, puts the doubt in the mind that they left money on the table.  Every deal is different, between acquire cost, trade in, financing or cash. 

If you pay asking price on first shot, you left money on the table.

ironrat said:
I think the point that of your comment "It's hard to be happy when I've left $5 - 10,000 on the table." shows that you really are not ready to buy just yet.

That's kinda what I was saying/wondering, but I may have misunderstood that comment (garyb1st).  It's great that you are doing all the research you can do now.  That is your best form of buyer's protection regardless of private party vs. dealer buying.  Tires, floors, appliances, mechanics, etc. you can all inspect yourself fairly easily once you know what to look for. 

I've had great success with private party purchases (and sales too for that matter) in the past... did it with my house, RV, and the last several cars.  Better prices and very few problems, but I didn't go into any of those transactions quickly or blindly either.

scottydl said:
That's kinda what I was saying/wondering, but I may have misunderstood that comment (garyb1st).  It's great that you are doing all the research you can do now.  That is your best form of buyer's protection regardless of private party vs. dealer buying.  Tires, floors, appliances, mechanics, etc. you can all inspect yourself fairly easily once you know what to look for. 

I've had great success with private party purchases (and sales too for that matter) in the past... did it with my house, RV, and the last several cars.  Better prices and very few problems, but I didn't go into any of those transactions quickly or blindly either.

Scotty, that's exactly what I meant.  When I bought my 2005 F250 diesel, it was the first truck I ever owned.  Aside from the fact it has one of the worst engines Ford ever put in their F series trucks, it didn't have the capacities I needed to move up to a larger 5th wheel.  But why would I know that.  It was an F250.  I saw folks pulling huge 5th wheels down the highway with F250s all day long.  I also saw GM and Dodge series 2500 trucks pulling those same heavy trailers.  Many with 3 axles.  I guess they go well over 15,000 lbs.  Certainly, an F250 could pull anything.  Apparently not.  I could have bought the F350 for about $200 more.  I assumed my F250 would ride more like my Infiniti SUV by comparison to the much heavier F350.  Bottom line, I don't believe they make a truck with a worse ride.  But then, as I said, this is my first truck.  And I'm not a truck guy.  So basically, I was at the beginning of the learning curve.  I didn't come from a family that owned trucks or RV's.  I didn't even know anyone who owned a trailer.  So who do I talk with.  Most everything I've learned is from these Forums.   

When I bought my 2008 trailer, I was able to price that out on line and got a fair deal.  But I didn't know about anything about trailers.  I didn't know what questions to ask.  Like tires, for example.  It had cheap 14" Chinese tires that were barely up to the task.  But why would I even think about something like that.  Or the fact that the springs weren't adequate for the weight and that the axles bent after two seasons. 

Like you, I've also bought and sold a few homes.  I've learned a few things along the way and know if I ever sell and buy again, I'll be a bit further along the learning curve and therefore in a better position to buy smart. 

That's what I'm really trying to accomplish.  For me, not leaving money on the table is one aspect of that.  Unfortunately, it's really the only one I have real experience with.  A motorhomes is a different animal. 

What chassis, what engine, gas or diesel, length, wheelbase, towing capacity, transmission, rubber of fiberglass roof, semi-monocoque chassis, tank capacities, roof top vs basement HVAC, maintenance related issues and these are just a few.  So if anyone out there wants to hold my hand as I continue my search for a motorhome, please send me a PM. :) 

^^ What's funny about all that is I am on the opposite journey that you are... having sold our motorhome this past year, and likely looking at a truck + 5th Wheel combo probably in ~2 years.  I have never owned a pickup truck at all, much less a diesel.  New arena for me!  I have found some pretty good resources here from other truck/trailer owners though, just as you will continue to find from motorhome owners.  ;)

an F250 with 14" tires?  Never heard of that, even as far back as 2005. 

I had a 97 F250 gas (5.1l), had 16" or 16.5" tires, not exactly sure, but it was a decent hauler for Truck Campers, a little short on capacity for a 5th wheeler over 28".  Then I got an F-350 diesel, (7.3l), arguably one of the best diesels from Ford ever.  That also had the 16" tires.  Rated for the job. 

This is where you should be able to rely on help from the RV dealer, they should ask what kind of TV you have, and the proper response is that you haven't yet bought it, what will I need to pull this?  Where I worked we had all sorts of information, so we could match you up. 

This is not secret information by any means.  It is all published.

For a TT also realize you will likely need an equalizer hitch setup.

Scotti, good luck on your search.  There are some amazing trucks out there.  The new ones have horsepower around 400 and torque in the 800 range.  My F250 has 325HP and 560 torque.  It's a very strong engine, but has issues.  The problem for me is it weighs almost 7,500 lbs dry.  I'm guessing it would be over 8,000 ready to tow.  Doesn't leave much for the pin.  Maybe 1,800 to 2,000 lbs which means small 5er.  I'd want at least 3 slides in a top of the line 5er.  Some have GVW's of 18,000 and more.  That's pushing the limit of an F350.  Last time I checked the new Ford F350's were going for $60-65,000.  Of course that's brand new and almost top of the line.  Still, a bundle for a truck. 

garyb1st said:
Last time I checked the new Ford F350's were going for $60-65,000.  Of course that's brand new and almost top of the line.  Still, a bundle for a truck.

Uhhh, yeah.  I'll be looking for a truck used-but-not-abused that costs about 15% of that amount.  Buying new or full retail are like bad words for me.  ;)  This past summer I saw some decent-looking truck + 5er combo's being sold on Craigslist for in the $20k range.  That will be more of my price range.  BUT of course I'll still want to make sure I am getting the right truck for trailer, so my research there will continue.

Back
Top Bottom