my double pane windows are fogging up. can i fix this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Florida Jim

The double-pane windows in my 2005 Fleetwood southwind has apparently leaked out the argon gas and now they are in essence fogging up.  Fleetwood won't take responsibility even though the front-side windows cause dangerous driving conditions.  My question is - can you clean these or do I need to have them replaced?

They can be re gassed. I've seen a fleetwood that every window fogged up and was treated making them look like new. The shop was somewhere in Arkansas and I don't remember which town, but the fleetwood dealer in Conway Arkansas, (Moix RV)was who recommended them to the coach owner and it turned out well. Much cheaper than replacing windows.

Jim,

You are in the best place in the world to get your windows fixed. Go to Suncoast Designers in Florida, for your window repair. They have a very good reputation.
http://suncoastdesigners.ccwindow.com/rvservices.html
I tried RV Fog Doctor in Searcy, Arkansas. Their work left a lot to be desired. They didn't reseal around the top of my window frames, left the plastic channel out that the screen slides on and didn't replace all the screws that hold the window in. They also gouged the fiberglass sides of my MH with a screw driver, when they pried the frames out. All in all, a very poor experance for me.

Not all fogged windows can be repaired and some must be replaced. If the windows are foggy white, they are mineral etched and will need to be replaced. If only wet, then they can be cleaned and resealed. It's a misconception that MH windows are filled with an innert gas. Some times dry air is use and some times not. The spacers have a desiccant in them and absorb any moisture left in the barrier space.

Richard

rls7201 said:
Jim,

You are in the best place in the world to get your windows fixed. Go to Suncoast Designers in Florida, for your window repair. They have a very good reputation.
It's a misconception that MH windows are filled with an innert gas. Some times dry air is use and some times not. The spacers have a desiccant in them and absorb any moisture left in the barrier space.

Richard

For years I had heard that the dual-pane windows in Tiffin coaches were filled with Argon gas. Then, while at the Pamona RV show last year, a Tiffin engineer who was there with Bob Tiffin, giggled and shook his head when I asked him about it. He said that rumor has been around the industry for years. He said he doesn't know where it got started but inert gas has never been used in the windows of Tiffin coaches.

Kev

To the best of my knowledge, no RV dual pane window ever had anything but dry air between the panes.  High end glass makers may use argon or other inert gas between the panes to get a slight improvement in thermal efficiency, but the standard is plain old dry air.

The type of gas has no effect on the fogging issue. Fogging is caused by a leak in the seal between the panes and will occur whether the gas is air or something more exotic.

At some point the labor to take the dual panes apart, clean and re-seal equals or exceeds the cost of new glass. And for a DIY guy, the savings in the labor of removing and reinstalling the window makes buying new glass a reasonable alternative to having someone else do a professional repair.

rls7201 said:
Go to Suncoast Designers in Florida, for your window repair. They have a very good reputation.
Richard
We used Suncoast a couple of times and they do great work.  Most of ours had gone too long and needed new glass rather than just to be resealed.  They have several spaces for RVs to overnight with electric and water and a dump station on premise.  They offer a "factory" tour to watch them tear down and reseal the windows.

And, no they don't put any gas into the windows other than air from the atmosphere.

Not having double pane I do not have that problem.. however the camp hosts across the road from me have a problem.. They do have double pane, and they are not exactly fogging up (it's not fog) it's more like bronzing up.

They had some of the windows replaced once but they are doing it again, they WERE told it is a reaction between the glass and the gas between them (Thought that stuff was inert,, that is non-reactive, but what do I know, (majored in science, good grades)).

Interested in any comments wiser heads might have.

I think the idea that there is some type of gas other than air in RV dual pane windows is because houses and automobiles do sometimes use xenon, argon, krypton or other exotic gasses. Most people would presume if cars and houses had them that RV's would too. Much was made of the low heat transfer of those gasses in the advertising when dual and triple pane windows were coming out years ago.

A google search on gas filled dual pane windows will tell you more than you ever wanted to know.

Ken

I would like to try drilling the seam between panes and using anhydrous nitrogen as a purge to dry out window.

Commercial glass is the only place I have seen gas charged windows and we could tell by the rubber plug in the lower corner of the pane. Even then I think they used nitrogen.

AS a follow-up to my windows.  I did take the MH to Suncoast Designers in Hudson, FL.  They did a great job.  Their facility has 50 amp service, water and a dump station.  I stayed 2 nights and did small maintenance during the day.  Overall a good expderience.

Florida Jim said:
AS a follow-up to my windows.  I did take the MH to Suncoast Designers in Hudson, FL.  They did a great job.  Their facility has 50 amp service, water and a dump station.  I stayed 2 nights and did small maintenance during the day.  Overall a good expderience.

I heard Suncoast is the best. Do they have to take the windows out of the coach? What about cost?

Scott  :)

It would be great to get some sense of pricing. Maybe you could pick just one window, assuming that you were given some breakdown per window. (example: 35" x 24", slider, both panes resealed = X cost) At any rate, glad to hear problem resolved.

In AZ they charge by the metal framed window, 150 or so for the small sliders up to 250-300 for large panes that was from RV Glass Solutions two weeks ago. :(

Pricing was $225 for the standard slide window.  A smaller window was $150.  They do take the window out to completely clean it and reseal it.  They will give you a quote over the phone.  You need to schedule an appt.

I also had foggy window issues.  My mechanic removed the frame and then loosened enough screws to remove my foggy windows. I mailed paper patterns to RV Glass Repair Services in Greensboro NC and they shipped me new double pane windows that fit.

I live in the LA Ventura county area. Anyone know where they re do the foggy duel pane windows around here ????

The double-pane windows in my 2005 Fleetwood southwind has apparently leaked out the argon gas and now they are in essence fogging up. Fleetwood won't take responsibility even though the front-side windows cause dangerous driving conditions. My question is - can you clean these or do I need to have them replaced?
There is no gas between glasses . Go to u tube on how to remove fog .

Back
Top Bottom