Sluggish Retractable Step

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenb1023

Just went out to MH (2008 Winnebago Voyage 32H) and the power step was sluggish coming out and going back in.  It even failed to pull all the way back in.  I had to give it a little help to retract all the way.  Batteries are all good and it is even plugged in.  I put some W-D40 on the pivot points but no change.  What should I be looking at?  Air temp is 42 F

Ken, This may help out a bit more. 
I put some W-D40 on the pivot points but no change.  What should I be looking at?  Air temp is 42 F

You may need something more substantial than WD-40. You need to crawl underneath and identify all he pivot pins. There must be about 6, maybe more. Some of them are hard too locate.
  There are more heavy lubricants available that will do a better job. Check in an automotive store (advance Auto etc) for a selection of your choice

Best I can do....

When my steps went sluggish, it turned out to be the batteries, however you mentioned yours were fine.

When mine did that last year, it turned out to be the piviot point on the pinion shaft. I did lubricate all piviot points with kroyoil [spelling].

I had a similar problem and lubed all of the pivot points with bicycle chain lube (the type that dries and does not attract dirt). That solved the problems and I have had no problems since.

Be careful that you don't do something to activate the steps while you are working on them (I almost made that mistake and realized that it could have been dangerous).

i use a product called fluid film. its available in canada at the autoparts store. dont know about usa. its like chain lube exept it is more of a penetration oil as well as a good lube. my jacks where getting a bit slow coming up and my mechanic buddy gave me a can and told me to spray them each time i put them down. after about three applications all are returning back up far better than before. its very sticky  and stays where you spray it. it then foams up and works it way in.  i now use it all the time for lots of things.

Don.t rule out corroded electrical connections in the Step circuitry.

Lubrication of ALL the pivot points is usually the solution.  I like to use the Kwikee Step Lube, which is an excellent dry film lubricant (I use it on numerous things), but any quality lubricant will do.

I wanted something better than WD40 or 3in1 oil so I used 0-20 mobil1 I had left over from changing the oil on the toad. Mine were squeaking and slow. Now the work like new. You have to get underneath the steps to see all the places to lube.
Bill

I had a similar problem with a previous coach. It turned out the electrical connector under the coach was corroded. After a good cleaning, all worked fine.

Well the problem was two fold.  One I lubed up all the moving parts and it helped.  Two: The Chassis battery gave up the ghost.  I put it on the charger and it faulted out the charger. It is so bad now I can't even get the dash lights to come on.  Dead dead dead.  I will open a new thread on Optima batteries to see if they are worth the extra $$$$ 

Well, let everyone know if the step works like new when the battery is replaced.

FWIW-Our Kwikee acted mysteriously for some time. It would work (or not) intermittently and the switch would (or not) work. We thoroughly went over it, including removing the motor. One frustrating day we had to pull the pin on the cam arm and bungee the steps into the stored position. Soon after parking, we re installed the cam and pin and everything worked fine-for a day or two. Then; upon retraction, the stairs failed to retract and hung limp. We discovered the inside of the cam that attaches to the ball on the motor had wallowed out and had eventually come loose. Fortunately, they have a kit for that as replacing the whole motor would have been quite a hit. Weeks later and we have yet to have a step malfunction. I can't explain it; but there it is.

Ok, replaced the Chassis battery.  Voom, starts right up steps go in and out all the way real fast.  Even with it being 20 degrees out side.  Thought I broke the step on/off switch because the steps retracted every time I closed the door no matter what position the step was in.  :eek: Stupid me, the engine was running, of course the step will retract.  It is supposed to that.  Any wayall is good and thanks to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom