At the risk of being ridiculed, are there any vegans among you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SmokerBill said:
Today I'm doing a test-cook of some potatoes, cabbage, carrots and leeks in a solar cooker I just put together, so today will probably be one of those veggie days for me.
Sounds very tasty and a nice hearty meal for a cold desert day. Also sounds very Irish :)

There some very tasty meatless sausages out there, too, that would be pretty tasty in there.

I used to be in the cooked cabbage "yuck" category but now I have a couple of casseroles with cooked cabbage that I really like. Now sauerkraut is a whole nother subject, can't even be in the car or house when Mike has a kraut dog.

Wendy

Wendy, I guess it is sort of an Irish meal, but not by design. Maybe it was my genes talking, since I am about 1/4 Irish, but mostly German, so I do love my saurkraut (and beer) too!

Beans will be my next solar cooking test Mark. I just finished up eating a pound (dry weight) of black beans a couple days ago. About time for some more.

I just touched the cooking container of my solar cooker. It's hotter than heck! Can't keep my fingertips on it for even a second.

You can barely see it, but in the pic, inside the solar funnel there's a blown-up turkey roasting bag with a glass container (spray painted black) inside. It really catches the heat! And total cost was around $15. Not bad for fuel-free cooking.

Attachments

• solar1.jpg
    solar1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 33
SmokerBill said:
Wendy, I guess it is sort of an Irish meal, but not by design. Maybe it was my genes talking, since I am about 1/4 Irish, but mostly German, so I do love my saurkraut (and beer) too!

Beans will be my next solar cooking test Mark. I just finished up eating a pound (dry weight) of black beans a couple days ago. About time for some more.

I just touched the cooking container of my solar cooker. It's hotter than heck! Can't keep my fingertips on it for even a second.

You can barely see it, but in the pic, inside the solar funnel there's a blown-up turkey roasting bag with a glass container (spray painted black) inside. It really catches the heat! And total cost was around $15. Not bad for fuel-free cooking.

Got German and Irish in me also.  I get the drift.  And, your making me hungry!

Looks like the OP "Pushed Off"  Too bad but no one should be that thin skinned  8)
I have been transitioning to a vegetarian diet inspired by my son who lost 30 pounds and says he feels allot better these days. I don't know if I'd ever go vegan but I'd sure be interested in their input as far as resources, recipes, food types, how  they consume enough protein & fat etc.

Well, Paul McCartney has been a vegetarian since the 70's.  He's over 70 years old now (wow....that doesn't seem possible) and is fit and trim.  Looks quite healthy too.  I don't think he's suffering from any kind of malnutrition. 

Frizlefrak said:
Well, Paul McCartney has been a vegetarian since the 70's.  He's over 70 years old now (wow....that doesn't seem possible) and is fit and trim.  Looks quite healthy too.  I don't think he's suffering from any kind of malnutrition.

OK Frizlefrak.....you've stepped over the line.  You've gone and confused a vegan with a vegetarian.  :mad:  That's kind of like saying a VW and a Cadallac are the same because they're both cars.  :eek:

Let me be serious here.....for just a minute.  As I understand it....from a nephew that was grossly overweight most of his life and is now a neurosurgeon and a vegan and now runs ten miles a day minamum.....a vegetarian doesn't eat meat or meat products.  A vegan doesn't eat any animal biproducts......no meat, no eggs, no milk, no butter, no, no, no, no nothing.....strictly fruits, vegtables, nuts and grains.  Michael, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Not a vegan or a vegetarian but my wife does have us eating a lot healthier (for us) than ever before and she seems to love veggie burgers where ever we go. 

I'm confused about the difference between vegan and vegetarian too. However, I am pretty sure that today's happy hour vodka screwdrivers would fit into both categories...    ;D

JCZ said:
OK Frizlefrak.....you've stepped over the line.  You've gone and confused a vegan with a vegetarian.  :mad:  That's kind of like saying a VW and a Cadallac are the same because they're both cars.  :eek:

So which is the VW....the vegan, or the vegetarian?  ;D  {I kid, I kid}  LOL

I'm not a professed vegan or vegetarian, but I do mostly eat only fruits, vegetables, beans, whole grains, & nuts.  Now, if I happen to ingest something from an animal whether it's cheese or meat, I don't worry about it.  If we go to a Mexican restaurant, I eat cheese.  It's just maybe once or twice a week, if that.  There's a lot of misconception about where we get our protein and what we need to eat.  I assure you that a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, beans, whole grains, & nuts will give you all the protein and everything else you need. I am a HUGE beef & pork lover.  I just feel this is a healthier way to eat, so I try to stick with it.  If I get a hankering for a good steak, I'll get one, but let that do me for a long, long while.  I do know that some vegans live that way due to their belief system from an animal rights standpoint. That's not where I'm coming from.  I just think this is healthier.

I will say I thought the posts were humorous.  I not only like these forums for the educational value, but for the humor also. I find myself chuckling and laughing out loud a lot.

SmokerBill said:
I'm confused about the difference between vegan and vegetarian too. However, I am pretty sure that today's happy hour vodka screwdrivers would fit into both categories...    ;D
  Vegan = no animal products period.  Vegetarians will eat eggs, cheese and milk but no meat. There's allot more tasty and satisfying vegetarian stuff out there than even 5 years ago.

I thought vegans also did not use any animal products such as leather shoes, belts, furs, wool, etc.  I'm not sure if that is correct or it was just what my vegan nephew did.

Lowell said:
I thought vegans also did not use any animal products such as leather shoes, belts, furs, wool, etc.  I'm not sure if that is correct or it was just what my vegan nephew did.
  You may be right about that.

Garry G. said:
  You may be right about that.
Maybe Michael can set us straight on that if he chooses to return. So far he has struck out on finding vegans here.

I was a vegan for 6 or 7 years to cure heart disease. Strange how many people made fun of my life style and eating habits. The Op was not asking for anything more than were there any others of his ilk. Too bad he left he could have given lots of healthy good tasting meals that some might have enjoyed.
Sad people think its all right to make fun of others to prove there way of life is better.
Jim

Not exactly vegan, but close...

A year ago, my DH and I started a plan called Eat to Live.  It is a plant based diet and the founder calls himself a "Nutritarian".  The goal is to eat based on the nutritional value of foods.  Plants have more nutrients.  This lifestyle change has nothing to do with liking animals, being against hunting, etc.  It is strictly for health.  I am almost 60, DH is 63 and we have eaten meat all of our lives.  The plan is restrictive in that you cannot eat meat, milk, eggs or any processed food.  Also, no salt or sugar.  Basically, it's fresh fruits, veggies, nuts, and beans, rice, oats, quinoa, etc.  It was quite a change, but something had to happen.  We were both sluggish and not wanting to do much other than sleep.

I lost about 40 pounds, DH lost over 30.  He was able to cut his blood pressure meds in half and we both felt amazing.    We kept the weight off for a while, then took a trip to Brazil in the spring.  In Brazil, meat is a staple.  It is much different than our meat here...no antibiotics or growth hormones.  The best meat in the world.  :)  But, that was the beginning of our "falling off the wagon".  Meat and cheese are both addictive, as are processed carbohydrates.  We both gained all the weight back and DH's blood pressure started to go up.  Just before Christmas, he had to make a decision about whether to increase the BP meds or get back on the program. 

So...once again, we are Eating to Live.  It's not as much fun, but the thought of having to deal with high blood pressure, diabetes and heart issues isn't much fun either.  I have a daughter who has had type 1 diabetes for 23 years so I know all about living with a horrible disease.  When I think about eating steak, cookies, chips, ice cream or pizza, I think about what it does to my body and strengthen my resolve.  Today, his BP was 115/75 both morning and evening.  Can't beat that...he has been taking meds for over ten years.  Two weeks on this program does more good.  It takes about two months for us to get in the groove. 

The doctor (Fuhrman) who founded the program claims he can "cure" most type II diabetes.  I know the plan "cures" high blood pressure and we have so much more energy that it is amazing.  I don't want to have to live on pills and feel awful.  If that means being mostly vegan, then it works for us.  Doesn't matter what you call it as long as it works.  The real beauty is that you don't buy "special" food...you buy REAL food.  You don't have to go to meetings or buy anything.  It's pretty simple.

I read somewhere that if you really want to be healthy, don't eat any food that has a commercial.  You don't see many commercials for Kale, tomatoes and avocados.  :) 

"I read somewhere that if you really want to be healthy, don't eat any food that has a commercial.  You don't see many commercials for Kale, tomatoes and avocados.  :) "

I agree with that sentiment. No big business makes money off of kale. Eat whole foods, whether  plant or animal, and you'd be the better for it.  It's processed foods that hurt us.

Too bad he left ...

He hasn't left, and has been lurking  ;)

I must admit that I first thought being a vegan and being a vegeterian were the same thing. But this discussion caused me to do a little more research, and I got quite an education. It made me realize that a family member who I previously thought of as "a vegetarian" was actually a vegan. When I first met him, I made some friendly "joke" about his instrument strings, but soon learned that I should not have joked. The family member has since passed away and, in retrospect, I'm ashamed of my ignorance while he was alive.

Back
Top Bottom