DISH Receiver and Cold Temperatures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arcticfox2005

Just for your information, I recently discovered something quirky about my DISH ViP211k receiver.

We are on our annual winter trip to visit relatives in MS and KY. The temps have been down in the 20s frequently, and we sleep with no heat (by choice). When I get up around 7 AM, it is usually around 45 degrees inside the motorhome. I crank up the furnace and make coffee. Later in the day, when I get ready to watch TV, the DISH receiver, most of the time is dead - will not turn on either with the remote or the button on the front of the receiver. I finally figured out that the receiver and the remote need to be warmed up to get the receiver to turn on. The receiver is housed in an upper cabinet which naturally has an outside wall, and the temp inside the cabinet is probably in the 30s. I solved this problem by plugging into the power strip (which is also in the cabinet) a 7.5 watt incandescant bulb which is sold as a night light. It apparently puts out enough heat to keep things alive - at least so far. If necessary, the same bulb is also sold in a 15 watt size if I need more heat.
I tried a 40 watt refrigeratior bulb and it was too much heat.

If you have a receiver which is reluctant to turn on, you may have the same problem.

Bill

Bill

Same thing happened on a cold morning with my DirecTV Genie receiver. Turned the heat on and in a couple of minutes it fired right up. I'm going to copy your fix for the problem.

I have a similar problem with one of my DirecTv DVRs that was refurbished.

If its cold in the room when I turn it on, I get digital garbage on the screen. The other DVR doesn't do this and its on the same antenna(SWiM).

I'm gonna call DirecTv for an exchange.

Well I'll be darned, now I understand why we got broken signals the last few nights using our amplified OTA antenna.

Its fine except during the night when we've been having this cold snap down here.

Thanks...I was about to shoot the thing :-D

These comments tell me that either the temperature is below what the device is designed  for or the designers didn't do a good job of temperature compensation.  Check the manuals for the devices and see what the operating temperatures are for the device.  Pay particular attention to the low temperature OPERATING temperature as that is the critical one in this case.

Let us know if the temperatures were below the operating temperature minimum.

I simply open the door to that cabinet when it's too cold out and it stays just right. Although putting the night light in and monitoring it to make sure it never comes in contact with anything flammable is an elegant idea.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom