Does the age of a used motorhome matter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Bob

This is my first post on the forum so please excuse my ignorance if I have posted this in the wrong place. Wife and I currently have a small 5th wheel and a 12 year old one ton truck for summer trips, but would like to move up to a class A and fulltime upon retirement. Our problem is the budget. We will only be able to spend about 50K on a used rig. That in mind most likely looking at something close to 10 years old. Hoping that we're going to survive another 10 or 15 years, that would make the coach 20 -25 years old with no way of replacement. Are we crazy to think our dream of full timing is possible under these conditions? Your viewpoints will be greatly appreiated.

Bob, I'm in a similar situation.  There are some nice used diesels in that price range.  There are also tons of diesels on the road that are 20 - 25 years old and older.  The question you really need to address is how much will it cost to maintain an older coach.  That is the big one for me.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post but I sense that you don't have significant money set aside for one-off and extraordinary repairs.  My apologies in advance if I have misunderstood. 

I've been attempting to estimate the worst case scenario of motorhome ownership.  My projected budget includes $5 to $10,000 per year for extraordinary expense.  That on top of normal maintenance, fuel and camping fees could bring my annual cost to $20,000 a year or more.  And we don't do expensive RV resorts.  I'd like to be able to do it all for $5,000 a year or less, but that's not likely to happen.  Unless of course I just park a motorhome in my yard and not go anywhere.  My skill set doesn't include servicing a diesel motorhome so I'm at the mercy of the repair shops.  Warranty insurance on a 10 year old motorhome may not available.  If it is, it's probably very expensive and limited in its scope. 

I do understand both of you and where you are coming from so to speak. But I believe that you can do it Bob. I will just take you to do the job and really ask the right questions and shop, shop , shop for the right coach. I can tell you that I have RVed with many older coaches that have performed well. I think that having a coach just sitting he the hardest thing on them. I most likely would not purchase a older coach that has been sitting for 5 years. Because it is most likely sitting for a reason.

As for the cost Gary. I have yet to spend more than $2500.00 on my coach in a year for maintenance or other issue. And the only reason I had that cosy was because I replaced my cooling unit on the fridge this year. Most of the time it is between $600.00-$800.00. Now granted, I will have to buy new tires in a few years so that will be a added cost around $4000.00. But that is in 7-8 year intervals. I think you would be supprised how far $5000.00 would get you down the road.

I boondock about 2 months out of the year. I go from Idaho to Colorado to either New Mexico or the Dakotas and to be honest, that $5000.00 would cover it all. Goodluck guys!

Thanks guys! Wife and I feel some better about it. There just are so many things to consider. Our budget will be very limited for the first two years as we will be living on only our teacher's retirement. Once Social Security, if it's still around, kicks in it will get easier. :)

$50k is not  all that low an amount.  You can get some pretty nice motorhomes for that price, especially if you choose a gas chassis, and there is no reason why a gas chassis coach would not do a nice job for you. And it will also be less expensive to maintain.

Once a coach gets past about 7-8 years of age, age really doesn't matter much and condition is the critical factor. A well-cared for coach still has lots of life left, but an abused one is already crap by then. Most, of course, are somewhere between those extremes, but there are plenty of good ones around if you are patient and search.

If I were you I would not go out and blow the entire $50k on a used $50k RV. I would suggest you spend around $20k on your first unit. Virtually no one gets it right the first time. You really don't want to spend the next 20 years in an RV that is not perfect for you. I would suggest getting a $20k rig and live in it for a few years and then decide what you really want and then go for it. Meanwhile your $30k that you didn't spend will be accumulating interest.

One thing to consider is that a lot of RV parks have age limits on RVs, usually around 15 years. Most parks don't enforce the rule if you are only staying for a night or a week, but if you want to stay a month they will look your RV over pretty good before allowing you to stay. Eventually the RV you are thinking about buying will be too old to stay in the better resorts.

Here is a link to a $20k 2001 36 foot Georgie Boy Pursuit. I am not suggesting you buy this particular one, it is merely an example of what you can get for $20k.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-Georgie-Boy-Pursuit-Series-M-3512-DS-Good-Condition-/121049101631?pt=RVs_Campers&hash=item1c2f16b53f#ht_500wt_1064

If I were you I would not go out and blow the entire $50k on a used $50k RV. I would suggest you spend around $20k on your first unit. Virtually no one gets it right the first time. You really don't want to spend the next 20 years in an RV that is not perfect for you.

Wow! Never considered that. Now that I see it in black and white, it does make a lot of sence. Thanks

What ever you do, test drive a bunch of them.  How a motor home handles is a key consideration for many folks.  You can have the perfect floor plan, but if you don't like driving the motorhome, what have you accomplished.  Your current setup, a small 5er with a 1 ton truck is likely pretty stable on the road.  Some gas motorhomes will give you that white knuckle experience.   

Back
Top Bottom