Arctic Fox Quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SmokerBill

There may be a time in the future I will upgrade from my 3 season Jayco TT to a 4 season trailer. For some reason I'm under the impression that Arctic Fox makes a good product. Am I right?

I bought a 1999 Arctic Fox 26x trailer from a salvage yard in 2000 after it flipped onto it's right side and declared a total loss by the insurance company.  Damage was limited to a twisted coupler that had to be cut off and replaced, loss of the awning and gouges in the right side wall and a few bruises inside. One bruise was a tear in the ceiling where the corner of the door was driven into it when the house flexed during the accident - it then returned to square.

I replaced the coupler, filled the exterior gouges, cleaned up the interior and lived and traveled in it fulltime for 5 years.  I still have it and use it occasionally when I'm in Northern CA.  It's less expensive to store it nearby than tow it back and forth.

In 12 years of ownership I've had to replacethe refrigerator (I put in an apartment sized home unit in 2002), sealed the roof twice and repaired a section of floor under the tub and slideout that rotted from a leaking tub.  Other than that, it's been trouble free.

The interior appointments aren't as lavish as some other fulltime rigs, but the underlying quality is pretty darned good.

Artic Fox has great reviews and owner feedback on all the forums including their owners forum.  They also score pretty high on RV Consumer.

When I was doing my research looking on their forum I noticed that many of the owners have owned their AF for years.  Also, a lot of others are on their second or third AF.

My research is what motivated me to buy my Fox Mountain (also built by Northwood Mfg. just like Artic Fox).

The other thing I like about Nash is they build decent carrying capacity into their trailers.  When I weighed my empty 26x it had over 3000 lbs. payload capacity available before it hit the GVWR or axle weight limits - impressive carrying capacity for any trailer, especially so for a 26 ft rig.

Nash uses upgraded running gear, so that 7400 lb. trailer was resting on a 10,000 lb. frame and two 5000 lb axles with brakes and tires to match.

The problem with this comes with the recommendation that people assume their trailer weighs at or near the GVWR when normally loaded.  If Nash had built the trailer with a carrying capacity more typical for trailers that size, it would have about 1200 lbs available.  That would make the GVWR 8600 lbs -  two 4000 lb axles and 600 lbs on the hitch.  And that's about what the trailer weighs with a normal complement of supplies on board.  You'll end up needlessly eliminating many vehicles that can safely tow this trailer if you assume it actually weighs 10,600 lbs. when normally loaded.

I doubt I could have added 3000 lbs of weight to that trailer if I filled it full of bricks, but the real advantage is the tires, brakes and suspension have a 20% safety factor in normal use instead of running at their maximum ratings like most RVs.

I believe they have gotten heavier in the past few years, as they increase their all seasons capability (heavier insulation, etc.).

By the way, on their forums, there are a number of owners from Canada and Alaska that spend a lot of time off road and they say that their rigs hold together interior and exterior, very well, compared to other makes they've owned.  Some of those photos from Alaska you couldn't tell that the truck or trailer were ever white......solid black from all the mud and snow/ice/slush.

Unfortunately, they have a very limited selection of models now.  We were thinking of getting one last year, but they now only manufacture smaller units.  Too bad, as they were my company of choice.

Back
Top Bottom