2013 Anza Borrego Mini Rally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like both groups had a great time. And some stayed home and relaxed ? Also looks like Carlees got their liquor license back ?

Jerry wasn't at all sure he wanted to be the guinea pig for the Tibetan singing bowl thing (maybe the scared look in one photo?), but he was a good sport about it.  And it certainly was interesting.  When you take one of the bowls and run the padded stick around the edge it's much like running your finger along the rim of a crystal goblet, except the pinging lasts much longer.  It's a very gentle sound.  No, Jerry was not offered cookies or any other treat to do it, but he was amazingly relaxed - not something I see every day!  ;)  I think someone said he even quit talking!

We had a GREAT hike today!  I was the only one who needed first aid - got a blister on the bottom of my big toe.  By the time we looked at it, it was no longer a blister but definitely needed fixing by Dr. Jerry.  The last 20 minutes my legs felt like jelly.  That's one heck of a long down hill!  There were only two or three small uphill sections and they actually felt good by comparison.  There were some little protected canyons full of various plant life, including red barrel cactus, ocotillo, and many others.  Also we saw lots of beautiful brightly colored lichens.  The hike is listed as strenuous and it is, primarily because of the uneven terrain with quite a few slippery places because of sand or tiny pebbles.  It mostly follows where water goes, hence all the small rocks that were carried downhill by water.

Wendy, whatever their license issues, Carlee's has a full bar, although no draft beer.  All bottled beer.  I had a mushroom and Swiss burger that was very good.

ArdraF

ALL,

Regarding the vibrations from the bowls, it was the only time ever that I felt like I was meditating.  The vibrations seemed to clear your mind so you were not thinking of anything.  It was a nice experience.

BTW, the lady would softly hit the bowl on my head a couple times, then hit the bowl upon which I was sitting and finally hit the bowl into which I put my feet.  In this way I could feel the low frequency vibrations as well as hear them from the bowls simultaneously  The sound was soft and low in volume.  The vibrations from the large bowl on the floor could be felt in my feet as well as in my knees.  The sound from the bowl on my head seemed so peaceful and soothing but I did not feel vibrations because there was a thick cloth donut between my head and the bowl probably because the bowls had quite thick walls and they were heavy.  The vibrations from the bowl I was sitting on were felt in my seat and on into my hips.

She repeated going between the three bowls several times.

JerryF

Ray made a video and said he'd try to figure a way to make it available.  But that was yesterday!  ::)

Yeah, Tom, it is hard to believe - but true!

ArdraF

Oh, that kind of a whip.  I was wondering what kiind of kinky stuff Lisa was demonstrating in the restaurant.  For some of us old F..../folks you have to be more explicit.

Daisy

Terry & I have done this hike several times starting around 2001. It certainly has not gotten any easier! About half way down we met a guy that was in the parking lot when we dropped off Jerry's car. He was hiking up the trail. He had been on it for two hours, we had been on it for about 11/2 hours. He said he was going to the top and then hike back down. We tried to tell him he wouldn't have enough daylight but he kept going. I only hope he realized his mistake and turned around before it got dark!

The last hour was torture as the legs and feet were getting tired and sore and the terrain had gotten very rocky. Going downhill that far really pushes the toes into the front of the shoes. Mine weren't nearly as bad as previous hikes.

Attachments

• It's a long way down.JPG
    It's a long way down.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Starting down.JPG
    Starting down.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Easier part of trail.JPG
    Easier part of trail.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 21
  • View of terrain.JPG
    View of terrain.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Time for water.JPG
    Time for water.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Trail is getting harder.JPG
    Trail is getting harder.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Informative signpost.JPG
    Informative signpost.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 26
I'be seen so busy that it is hard to keep up with the reports. Yesterday 8 of us carpooled up the Mountain to Julian.  Pie and ice cream was the first order of the day.  Cinnamon Ice cream topped my apple pie!  It had  been 17 degrees  the night before and the place Terry wanted berry pie had frozen pipes and had to close. The rest of us managed fine.

Then shopping.  Lots of cute little shops, galleries and a few trinkets were purchased.  Ray tried on hats! After  a ride home  and another happy hour we  returned to  Pablitos for a dinner with a party of  13.  Jerry promised NOT to spill his margarita and he didn't.  Left overs for Terry as  I coud not finish my meal.

Lots of different activities  planned today from  photography to hiking to a return to P alm Springs area.  Frank and  Barb have joined the  group and are over at the State Park  enjoying full hook ups!

Attachments

• IMG_1998-001.JPG
    IMG_1998-001.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1988-001.JPG
    IMG_1988-001.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2001-001.JPG
    IMG_2001-001.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1999-001.JPG
    IMG_1999-001.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2007-001.JPG
    IMG_2007-001.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2006-001.JPG
    IMG_2006-001.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 29
Attached is a link of Jerry being quiet with the bowl on his head

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24745846/video-2013-01-14-11-14-21.mp4

Ray

Wendy:  The weather in Julian was so cold one of the restaurants closed, after we got there, with a busted water pipe!  But alas, Ray didn't buy the hat.

Today Terry, Ray, Liza, Jerry, and Ardra drove out to the Calcite mine road and hiked the Palm Slot canyon.  That's a fun one!  Some of us are still really sore from the downhill hike the other day.  I had forgotten I had so many muscles.  It's not often that the muscles in the soles of our feet hurt but mine sure are!

Tonight Terry, Russ, Ray, Liza, Jerry, Ardra, Chris, and Mimy had a yummy dinner again at Pablitos.  We're on our way to Quartzsite tomorrow and the others will follow later.

ArdraF

Pics from Julian & Palm Slot Canyon...

Attachments

• Julian 2013.JPG
    Julian 2013.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Palm Slot Canyon 2013.JPG
    Palm Slot Canyon 2013.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Palm Slot Canyon 2013-008.JPG
    Palm Slot Canyon 2013-008.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Palm Slot Canyon 2013-015.JPG
    Palm Slot Canyon 2013-015.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Palm Slot Canyon 2013-020.JPG
    Palm Slot Canyon 2013-020.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Palm Slot Canyon 2013-024.JPG
    Palm Slot Canyon 2013-024.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Palm Slot Canyon 2013-025.JPG
    Palm Slot Canyon 2013-025.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 31
Sorry that  I missed the slot canyon  hike  but I did enjoy the girls night out with  girl friends in Palm Springs.  I am back at Anza and  my niece and her family joined us.  4 little kids are going to make the next 2 days interesting!  Big campfire and marshmallows tonight! 

On Thursday we took Barb & Frank Weimert on a tour of the sculptures around the Anza Borrego desert. I've attached a few photos but it's only a sampling of what is out there. It's worth the trip to see what has been created.

Attachments

• Farm Workers.jpg
    Farm Workers.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Ground Sloth.JPG
    Ground Sloth.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Indian Head.JPG
    Indian Head.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 1946 Willys Jeep.JPG
    1946 Willys Jeep.JPG