The prettiest bird in North America (IMHO)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

I have been full timing for 10 years now and the entire time I have been photographing as many birds as I could. I have a life list of about 260 different species I have captured. That is out of about 800 different species in North America. I know about 80% of the birds I see on sight. The other 20% I usually can figure out what family it belongs to. So the other day I was staying in Tucson Arizona and as I was walking to the shower and I saw a bird that made my heart stop. Not only was it the most beautiful bird I have ever seen in the wild, I had absolutely no clue what it was. So when I finished my shower I went back to the RV and grabbed my camera. I managed to get a great shot of this little guy and I am so excited I can't wait till the end of the month to show it off. It is a Vermillion Flycatcher. It really is a Mexican bird that frequently crosses the boarder. Some are established in southern Arizona. When I first saw him I thought it was a Hawaiian bird that was really lost.

Now I was in Tucson for three days and it got down to 18 degrees every night. This bird is tiny, just slightly bigger than a hummingbird and it weighs about a half an ounce. How in the heck does this guy keep warm at night?

P.S. I did not jack up the color saturation. This is a very accurate representation of exactly how bright this little guy is. He almost glows. The image is 1920 x 1080 so that you can see the detail. To view the image in your browser better try right clicking and selecting view in new tab.

Bob - Check out the nose hairs. Is that enough detail for you ;D

Attachments

• Flycatcher, Vermillion.jpg
    Flycatcher, Vermillion.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 196
Some of the most beautiful birds I've ever seen were in Guatemala.  They were hummingbirds, although a bit larger than US hummingbirds, but their colors were iridescent blues and greens, almost psychedelic.

Yes, I have seen photos of those birds. Many are Birds of Paradise. That is why I restricted it to North America since they don't occur here.

wannabfree said:
Thanx Tom
All great, as we've come to expect. You will be missed at Quartzsite.
Dave
Thanks Dave, I will miss you and everyone at Q this year. However I just revised my long range travel plans and I should be at Q in 2014.

What an amazing shot! Did you take that with your new camera?

It's amazing the little guy was still there after you'd taken a shower and went back to get your camera.

What a beautiful photo and what a beautiful bird! Thanks for posting!

-Roni

Tom, that picture is absolutely stunning!!!!  I am honestly blown away!!  I hope you don't mind if I use it for my desktop background.  Wow!!  Wow!!  Wow!!  You made my day today, I'm telling you!!

Tom, it is indeed a beautiful shot of a beautiful bird.

For most beautiful bird in North America, I might also suggest the Wood Duck, Painted Bunting, Summer Tanager, and Scarlet Tanager.

Joel

tstumpf said:
What an amazing shot! Did you take that with your new camera?

It's amazing the little guy was still there after you'd taken a shower and went back to get your camera.
Thank you Roni. No, that was taken with my Sony a55 and my Tamron 200-500.

Actually I have seen a bird without my camera and returned to the spot later with my camera and I am almost always successful. I found him about 6 more times over the three days I was in Tucson and photographed him each time. I did see two at one time so there was at least a few of them there.

Great Horned Owl said:
For most beautiful bird in North America, I might also suggest the Wood Duck, Painted Bunting, Summer Tanager, and Scarlet Tanager.
Thank you Joel. You have listed the four birds that are at the top of my list. I have seen all of them in the wild and I still think the Vermillion Flycatcher is the prettiest. But it is a very close race.

Over all through out the entire world I think the prettiest bird is a Lady Gouldian Finch. I used to have a pair in my aviary when I owned a stick and brick 20 years ago.

Attachments

• lady g.jpg
    lady g.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 43
rsalhus said:
Tom, that picture is absolutely stunning!!!!  I am honestly blown away!!  I hope you don't mind if I use it for my desktop background.  Wow!!  Wow!!  Wow!!  You made my day today, I'm telling you!!
Thank you Rolf. I am honored if you use my photo on your desktop. I don't enforce copyright on any photo I take. Any photo can be used by any person for any reason, personal or commercial at any time. I am always thrilled when I hear of someone using my photos.

You finished your shower and THEN went and looked up the bird ? And you call yourself a birder. Shame on you. But it is a pretty bird. Checked my life list and I picked one up in 2008 in Blythe after the Qtz rally. Not pretty, but my personal life list favorite is Pileated Woodpecker, spotted in Alabama.

I should go out tomorrow morning and check out the birdies on the beach except that shorebirds can be a pain to identify :)

Wendy
Bolsa Chica State Beach

Back
Top Bottom