Question about floorplans & location of TV in class A's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amlkaw

My husband and I are looking at our first RV purchase, which will be for us to go fulltime in later this year.? We are planning on buying a class A and have narrowed it down to a couple of different entry level diesel pushers.? Everything I have seen has the "main" television upfront basically over the driver/passenger seat.? I'm wondering if anybody had trouble adapting to a TV being above eye level like this, especially when watching it from the couches.? I've looked for a floorplan where the TV would be behind the passenger seat, more at eye level, but can't find any.? Maybe I would adapt to TV watching at this level in no time, but w/planning to be fulltimers, I'm just wondering if there are any floorplans in class A motor homes I should be looking at.? We live in the St. Louis area, so there aren't nearly as many different types of dealers in our area as there are in Texas, Arizona, etc.? I just wanted to get some opinions if this is really no big deal (husband thinks so!), or any suggestions on models that might offer the kind of floorplan where the TV is more at eye level.? Thanks in advance for your help!

Our 1997 Endeavor has the TV between the front seats, in the dash, just below eye level.  It's fine for the recliner for viewing but is a bit uncomfortable for someone on the couch (left side).  Many of the American Coach designs have a popup TV in the dash, again in the center, that is at about eye level for viewing.

amlcaw,

Holiday Rambler has a floor plan on their Ambassador line called the SKT, in which the kitchen is in the front behind the driver and the living room is towards the middle of the coach and the TV is about eye level on a back wall.

Very few folks have problems with a television there, It is common in hospitals for example for the TV to be high up so most all of us have expierence watching a high level television

Also, how many times have you said "Move it, you make a better door than a window" because someone was standing in front of the television blocking your view?  not such a big problem with a high level set (still happens though)

Thanks John, that's probably what I needed to hear!  I probably won't even notice it once we're on the road, it's just one more thing I can make myself crazy about!

We find the overhead location to be a good one. The amount of head tilt is not noticeable to us.

Regarding fulltiming - please be aware that CCC is very important for full timers. Even though you are looking at diesel pushers, some do not have what I believe to be adequate CCC.
We have 2800 pounds and could use another 700 to 1000 lbs.
You may not need as much as we do, but I have seen a diesel pusher with only 1200 pounds of CCC, which I don't think is enough for many - if any full timers.

Clay

Both our previous coaches had the TV up as high as it could get over the windshield.  I hated that and couldn't ever get use to it.  IMHO it is the dumbest place to put a TV.  Some coaches even place it high along the center line of the coach above the windshield where you can bump your head as you enter or exit the coach.  Personally I like the one in our American Eagle.  It sets in about the same location as Ned's but can be raised up to your comfort level and lowered for travel.  But again it is a matter of personal preference.  You just gotta get what you like best.

My wife finds it a bit uncomfortable to look up at the TV, but she had three cervical vertabrae fused after a car acccident many years ago and has less neck mobility than most. She solves it by lying on the sofa so she doesn't have to keep her head tlted up for long periods.

Many manufacturers offer or have offered floor plans with a tv on the lounge area floor or, with the advent of flat panel tvs, on the wall in the lounge area. Damon and Winnebago/Itasca come readily to mind.  And it's not hard to add a flat panel screen to a wall if you buy a coach with a tv in the traditional front location.

Take a look at the floorplan on the attached picture.  It was one thing I really liked about our MH.

Attachments

• 2001rexall-10(compressed).jpg
    2001rexall-10(compressed).jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 83
Johnnie,

I'd like to see some pictures of that.  Can you post a picture or two here that we can look at?  What is the length of the Damon Tuscanny that comes with that floorplan?

Sorry for the delay in responding I have been away. The Tuscanny is a 40 ft diesel pusher. My model is the 4077. Floor plans are available on the Damon web site. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom