pulling a 2006 jayco jay flight 31bhds 7500 pounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

06jayco

I have a 2011 gmc 1500 crew is it safe to pull a 2006 jayco jay flight 31bhds weighing 7,500 pounds? the camper dealership said it would be fine with equilizer and antisway and the gmc is rated at towing 10,000 pounds? It seems like its a lot of weight for a 7,500 pound camper unloaded! I am ok with upgrading to a 3/4 ton but want some experienced campers opinion! it would just be me and my wife thanks for any help you can give

I have pulled our 31ft 7850 lb travel trailer with a 1100 lb hitch wt with a 2011 Toyota Tundra for over 5K miles. This truck handled this trailer easily with absolutely no problems at all. I did go to "E" rated tires and a rear stabilizer bar to make sure the truck would remain stable.  I recently stepped up to a larger truck only because I wanted to go to a larger 5th/W and the Tundra wasn't rated to carry the hitch weight. Your truck should handle the trailer you are looking at just fine.

awesome, thanks much! Makes me feel a  little more comfortable! I will take ur advice and get some e rated tires ill post back on in a couple weeks and let ya know how my trip went! thanks!

Just make sure your actual tow rating is indeed 10,000 lbs. I wouldn't trust the camper dealer to assess that for  me - they are too motivated to say what you want to hear to close the deal.

The tow rating of the truck will vary widely depending on engine, cab style, transmission, 2WDvs 4WD, wheel base and rear axle ratio. Some 1500's are as low as 4400 lbs and others as high as 10,700 lbs. If you give us the full description of yours, we can help you verify it. Or, here is a link to the 2011 GMC Towing Guide.

Also, is the 7500 lbs the dry weight, the GVWR or a saleman's off-the-cuff estimate? Only the GVWR, as shown on the trailers rating plate, is a worthwhile number for estimating purposes. Yours may not actually weigh that much when loaded for travel, but its best to assume the worst rather than underestimate.

I would like to add my input to using gvwr vs uvw.  I've noticed the CCW (cargo carry weight) varies widely. One i looked at (28ft TT) had a 4000lbs CCW.  sometimes, the GVWR might be excessive.  I'm not advocating using the unloaded weight, just common sense  between the two weights. I tend to look at the GVWR if the cargo weight is less than 2000, or the UVW, and add 2000lbs for cargo and options.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom