GENERATOR STARTS THAN STOPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevelove

HELLO AGAIN MY GOOD FRIENDS!
I HAVE A 2002 ONAN 4000 MICRO QUIET GENERATOR ON MY FIESTA WORKHORSE.
GENERATOR, STARTS FOR A SECOND THEN STOPS.
REPLACED WITH A NEW CARBURATOR, SPARK PLUG, GAS FILTER, AND OIL, FILLED PROPERLY.
DISCONNECTED THE FUEL LINE TO SEE IF IT WAS THE FUEL PUMP. THAT WAS WORKIG FINE.
WHAT DO YOU THINK IS WRONG WITH HER? CAN ANYONE HELP.

THANKS A WHOLE LOT!
STEVE

Hi Steve, welcome to The RV Forum!

While you're holding the Start switch down, the engine interlocks are defeated.  When you release the switch the engine needs to see oil pressure from the oil pressure sensor and voltage output from the generator.  If either of these are missing the engine will shut down as soon as you release the switch.

Locate the oil pressure sender - it's a round disk that screws into the engine block.  Temporarily ground this wire for a test.  If the engine runs, replace the sender.

The other possibility is no voltage output from the generator.  The regulator board drives the generator through carbon brushes and brass slip rings at the far end of the generator housing - you can see the slip rings if you look through the vent openings.  Make sure they're clean and shiny - if not, the corrosion can block the current from reaching the generator.  Or you could have a bad voltage regulator board.

If it comes down to a generator problem, Flight Systems has an excellent RV Generator Troubleshooting Guide.  They also sell replacement regulator boards and a nifty Slip Ring Cleaning Tool if you need to clean the slip rings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom