Poor performance / fuel filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afchap

Apx 73k on my 2002 model Cummins ISC, 9 mo. since last service ...hit the road from AL to TX. Noted a couple of minor stumbles sometimes on acceleration from a stop. Seemed to take a bit longer to get to cruising speed, then I noticed cruise control could not hold highway speed even on the most gentle inclines. Cruising around 65, the speed would creep downward until it found a downhill run to get going again. At first I wondered if the turbo was not working well (no boost gauge, etc). Then I thought of the fuel filter. I realized I did not have a filter wrench with me, and stopped at a tiny "truck stop/cafe" off I20 East of Meridian MS. Mine has only one fuel filter, originally located high on the block on the pas side ...it was a two person difficult job to change in the original location, so I paid Cummins SW in Albuquerque $550 several years ago to relocate the filter to the rear. The "truck stop" had nothing more than fuel, and the filter was tight, so I went on to Meridian and got a filter wrench at Walmart while the DW got some supplies. It was very tight, but I got it off and put my spare filter on (in a very cold light rain), did the key on for 30 seconds to prime, off for 30, and a second time for good measure, then started the engine. Sounded good, got up to go close the hatch and it died. I went through the prime routine two more times before it finally stayed running. And when I got back on I20, it felt like I had a new engine!! Fuel starvation definitely causes power problems! Now I need to get another spare filter...

afchap said:
Apx 73k on my 2002 model Cummins ISC, 9 mo. since last service ...hit the road from AL to TX. Noted a couple of minor stumbles sometimes on acceleration from a stop. Seemed to take a bit longer to get to cruising speed, then I noticed cruise control could not hold highway speed even on the most gentle inclines. Cruising around 65, the speed would creep downward until it found a downhill run to get going again. At first I wondered if the turbo was not working well (no boost gauge, etc). Then I thought of the fuel filter. I realized I did not have a filter wrench with me, and stopped at a tiny "truck stop/cafe" off I20 East of Meridian MS. Mine has only one fuel filter, originally located high on the block on the pas side ...it was a two person difficult job to change in the original location, so I paid Cummins SW in Albuquerque $550 several years ago to relocate the filter to the rear. The "truck stop" had nothing more than fuel, and the filter was tight, so I went on to Meridian and got a filter wrench at Walmart while the DW got some supplies. It was very tight, but I got it off and put my spare filter on (in a very cold light rain), did the key on for 30 seconds to prime, off for 30, and a second time for good measure, then started the engine. Sounded good, got up to go close the hatch and it died. I went through the prime routine two more times before it finally stayed running. And when I got back on I20, it felt like I had a new engine!! Fuel starvation definitely causes power problems! Now I need to get another spare filter...
I had a simulier problem on my 5.9 Cummins.  That turned out to be a dying vacuum pump.  Replaced the pump and she was back to full power.  We also found a small leak in a vacuum line when the new pump was put in.  Made a heck of a whistle sound.

Mine takes several key cycles to prime the system fully. That's a ISL with the single filter configuration like yours.

Fuel filter and air filter are the #1 suspects with any such diesel performance problem. Replace them first before worrying about anything worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom