Fuel "economy"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fastrr

Hi, I'm new here to the rvforum :)  I don't own an RV at present and never have.  This whole thing of just getting away for a period of time sounds very appealing to me - and of course doing it in an RV would be fun I think.

I have some questions that are rather general.  What is the fuel mileage on a diesel coach RV - say 30-34 ft in length.  What is the fuel mileage of a Triton V10 Ford w/34ft RV?  I'm pretty sure there isn't an exact answer to these because of the variables involved, but a ballpark figure would be greatly appreciated :D  This is all assuming the RV is traveling in all various geographies/types of roads, mainly highway driving.  I've been told that diesel RV's get better fuel mileage than do gas engines?  Like i said, and please forgive me, I'm new to all this. 

Also what do you all pay on average for storage fees on a 30-34 footer?

Thanks guys and thanks for the great website!

Also what do you all pay on average for storage fees on a 30-34 footer?

Cannot handle the motorhome fuel economy, but I can this one.  There is no answer.  I have a 23 ft. travel trailer.  I pay $125/month.  The next best price I could get would be $165/mo..  This would be ridiculous except that I live in West Los Angeles, the land of the million dollar 2000 sq. ft.  tract home*.    If I moved the trailer 100 miles inland to, say, Banning CA, that tab would probably drop to $30/mo..

In short what you pay will dependly wildly on where you store and the conditions you store:  indoors, outdoors, on pavement, on dirt,  security, power, etc..

The only way to find out is to price the yards in your neck of the woods -- where ever your neck of the woods is.

[*Yes that is true, it is in my neighborhood.  Sothebys is the agent.]

I would expect a late model gas motorhome of the size you mention to get 7-8 mpg.  For example, my 35 foot, 25,000 lb Motorhome + car delivers a consistent 7.3 mpg at interstate speeds in most any terrain and right around 8.0 mpg at 50-55 mph. That's with an 8.1L GM engine, but the Ford V10 is similar in power and mileage.  An older model , say early 90's, might get 6.5-7.5 mpg.

A similar size/weight diesel would probably deliver more like 10.0-10.5 mpg, but many diesel powered rigs are also heavier (more weight onboard, even though the same length) and that could push it back down a bit. So yes, a diesel will likley produce better mileage than gas. Whether that is more economical dpeends on the relative price of the two fuels in the areas you travel.  With diesel prices inexplicably high these days, it sometimes is a wash.

Storage fees are all over the map and depend on property values and the demand in any given area.  And there are hugh differences in the facilities too, e.g open vs. covered, fenced or not, dump station or electric power available, etc.    The range might be $20-$100 per month?  The RV park I am currently at (eastern Washington state) gets $30/month for storage in an open, paved area adjacent to the park.

Here at PEM in AZ, I pay $68 for MH and Encl trailerin open desert area, but gated. 65 foot long.

With my last RV, '94 29' class C with Ford 460, I got around 7 to 8-.  My new RV is a 32' class A with a Ford V10. I haven't had it long enough to really get an accurate measure, but I'm getting around 8+ average so far.  Others with similar Class A/V10 say they get 7 to 10. Diesel owners I've talked to get about the same, but are usually bigger rigs.  I usually drive around 60 to 65 mph, and tow nothing.  But as you read through this forum, you find that most people say "If you have to worry about fuel economy, you can't afford the RV."

I use to have a built 400hp chevy suburban and a tent camping stuff.  It got around 10 mpg everywhere, so the gas milage isn't a big deal to me.

As far as storage, I pay $1 per foot per month.  It's about 1+ from my house and just off the freeway.  Just gotta look around.  I could park it at home for free, but my wife says it's just to big for the neighborhood.  And that's ok 'cause if she's mad at me for something I can excape to the RV for a while till she cools off.

On flat terrain we get 10 to 11 mpg with a 40 foot diesel.  Speed is important, we keep it at 55-60 for the best mileage on our Cummins 330 operating at 1800 to 1900 rpm.  Lots of folk pass us, but then we wave to them as we go by their refueling stop.  ;D

I have the same RV as Smokey, 40 foot diesel pusher by Newmar.? We just got back home from Branson and about half of the trip is very hilly with some pretty steep grades? and the other half is quite flat.? I would try to keep my speed between 60 and 65.? Some of the big steep hills would force me to slow down to 45 or 50 depending on how fast I would let the coach coast down the previous hill. ;)

I averaged 8 MPG for this trip.? It was far from flat and I did push the coach above 60 MPH consistently so I am very pleased overall on performance.? I am taking another trip to Colorado in a couple of weeks and it will be in much higher elivation.? I am curious to see the results the higher altitude will have.

As for storage.? I pay more than most but I can expense my fee as I use my coach for some busness and use some of the space for office storage.? I pay 240 per month and that includes a fully enclosed, insulated, alarmed building with electric garage doors.? Concrete level floors, 50 amp hookup, Metal halide lighting for working on the coach.? Heat in the winter, large vent fan for working on it in the summer.? Water is available for flushing tanks.? I have access to the office area with a kitchen, bathroom and shower to clean up before going home.? For me its all worth it.

Good luck

Jeff

Jeff:

That mileage sounds about right for the speed and conditions you describe.  I sure do like the economy of the Cummins 330.

Please be gentle, this is my first time...

I have an '01 Rexhall 315 (32') with the V-10 Ford chassis. It has one slide and the GVWR is 18K. This is pretty similar to what you are asking about, I think, Fastrr.

I recorded 9 MPG over the last 12,000 miles. I have 42,000 miles on it now. I maintain my speed between 55-60 and don't pull a toad. On occasion I have towed my boat, but not enough miles to hurt the overall too much. I document every tank of gas. I am about 1-2% off compared to my Garmin navigator, but my odometer reads below the Garmin so that's in the favor of even better mileage.

Hope this helps.

Dale

OK, we just finished a 7330 mile road trip over 2 months.  We went from Florida to San Diego, CA, then up to Santa Cruz, CA, the Oregon coast, Portland, OR, Spokane, Washington and along I90 to Mt. Rushmore, thru St. Louis, Nashville and home to Ocala, FL.  We have a 2002 Fleetwood Fiesta 31H on a 2001 Ford F53 chassis with the Triton V10.  The engine is stock except for a K&N air filter.  The Fiesta weighs in at about 15,300# with full water and fuel.  It's running Michelin 225/70/R19.5 tires at 75 psi.  We towed a 2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtra cab pickup which weighs 3300 pounds.  We used 847.785 gallons of gas at an average price of $2.682 per gallon and averaged 8.65 mpg driving between 55 and 65 mph.

Maybe this will answer peoples questions about the Ford V10 fuel economy.

Can't answer for fuel mileage on a diesel, but I've owned two V-10s and they averaged 7-7.5 mpg towing a small car. One was a 30' coach and the other 37' so it didn't seem to make much difference in my case.....size or weight. As to storage, I have 2.5 acres so store at home.  ;)

For the last 8,000 miles, we averaged 9.2 mpg in a diesel; mixture of hills, mountains, flat interstates, rural two lane and urban driving.  I push it though... usually set the CC on 65 if road conditions warrant and we pull a Jeep.  We have a parking place along the side of the garage with elecricity and water.  This is our first year and if we continue, I'll probably get an extension of the garage built to cover the MH.  I don't like leaving it out in the sun all the time.

WH owner...... 7.8mpg is what the RV has averaged so far, 6300 miles on the odo.  MPG ranges from 6.5 to 8+ mpg depending on what we are doing.  I would get 7.5-8mpg usually in my 38ft bounder pulling a wrangler unlimited at 65-70mph

Soon to be step-parents has a V10 class C & they got 7-9 mpg pulling a mini.  they averaged 8-8.5 mpg on the same trip

I talked to a few people with DP's on our trip out west & all stated 8 mpg in their 40-43ft DP's.  They all stated didn't matter how slow or fast they went to get that mph

With storage.... I pay nothing for parking it behind my work.  Step parents pay $50 a month for outside storage which is gated & has security.  Another place I have been thinking of going to (hard to beat free) iw $100 a month for heated, covered, secure, etc ...... it's at the Dayton Wire Wheel factory.......

We get about 8 mpg average in a 32', 18,000 lb. MH towing a Jeep TJ (~3,600 lb.) Motive power is a Ford V10 (2004/5). Interestingly, higher elevations seem to result in significantly higher mileage for this rig. I have to assume that drag is the big factor in mileage, rather than weight or even hills.
Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
... I have to assume that drag is the big factor in mileage, rather than weight or even hills.
Ernie

Drag is, indeed, a big factor. I've found that not only on my motorhome, but on my F-150 crew cab, as well -- better mileage at higher altitudes (a couple of mpg on my F-150 around 65 mph or above), all else being equal (which it usually isn't). Weight (to get it moving) and hills also play a big part. And headwinds...

Ditto on the headwinds.......saw my mileage drop to 4-5 mpg driving into the wind in Texas.

DandS said:
Ditto on the headwinds.......saw my mileage drop to 4-5 mpg driving into the wind in Texas.

We used to drive from Phoenix to Elkhart Lake, WI or Watkins Glen, NY and back every year. Our route out and back was always the same between Phoenix and St. Louis. Winds are generally west to east and we always averaged about 1 mpg better in that stretch eastbound than westbound.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom