mileage increase idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckle823

If you tow in 3rd gear rather than overdrive, you will have much better gas mileage. I got this info from an RV technician.

My only experience has been with the Ford 460 with the E40D three speed overdrive transmission.  I DO know that towing in overdrive and locked in cruise control is NOT the most efficient technique over all.  I prefer to try to hit a balance between lugging down the engine, burning up the transmission, constantly up and down shifting and wondering when the beast will explode at 4k+ revs.  I do this best by controlling the throttle myself.  I may get up and down a hill a little slower but, if I can avoid a few shifts, I can save fuel.

I'm sitting in Ninilchik, Alaska as I write this and have Burned nearly $3500 in gas getting here.  I'm almost at the halfway point of my trip so I have approx. $3500 more to go.  Believe me, I'm trying to save all I can...  Having a ball.......   

buckle823 said:
If you tow in 3rd gear rather than overdrive, you will have much better gas mileage. I got this info from an RV technician.
You might want to get a new tech. If he made a blanket statement like that, he's not real bright.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom