Replacing the salon fluorescent lights with LED - project write-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Canfield

Site Team
Here.

One of the three pages is devoted to working with strip lights which might be helpful for some.  This was an entirely satisfying project - getting rid of the tubes for LEDs is a wonderful event.

Great write-up John.  I ordered the same LED tape strips, but didn't have time to install prior to our departure south. I thought I would also install in the clothes closets, and the entertainment center in the 40ad.  I'm really more motivated to replace the ceiling puck light bulbs, as we use those every evening.  Thanks for the effort.

Jeff - the spec say 12V but don't provide any other details, so the brightness level might change a tad if we're boondocking.  Hopefully a Vin delta won't damage the strip.

Have you measured the current drawn by one of the strips? The cheap Chinese regulators are rated at 3 amps. Might need one for each strip.

I like your basic approach and have ordered a set.

I purchased  4  short strips several years ago for a 12" fluorescent light replacement. The conversion worked good and gave a good light, but after  a year or so I had two failures rendering the light dead. I attributed it to the 14V charging voltage. I recently purchased 12" bulb equivalents from rvled to rebuild the light and they are excellent so far. They are, however quite expensive.

Wayne - I need to drop the salon light trim so I can cover up the ugly black tape - when I do that I'll measure the current.  The specs on the five meter roll are "72" watts so we have six amps for the entire roll or ~2.7 amps per foot.  That seems a little high but I won't know until I measure the approximate three foot long strips.

John,

Didn't you say you broke out the reflector on your puck lights so you could use the LED replacements?

Also, are you using voltage regulators for your LED strips?

And finally, Are you just taking out the florescent bulbs and sticking LED stick-on strips in the fixtures?

How's that for a laundry list?

Director said:
Didn't you say you broke out the reflector on your puck lights so you could use the LED replacements?

Haven't done the puck lights yet

No, but I might need to retrofit regulators which would be simple to accomplish

And finally, Are you just taking out the florescent bulbs and sticking LED stick-on strips in the fixtures?

Yep - stripping the housing of the ballast, the U-channel that covers the ballast and wires and the tube sockets

You've done very well my son  :D

Since I don't have a Winnebago, will I be disciplined for taking some of your ideas and applying them to some lighting I want to do in my Thor?

In all seriousness, your work does have some universal appeal and I appreciate the great documentation.

John,
The lights are super. Some day I will try to do the installation. Right now, I am looking at your ac/heat pump outlets.
Where did you purchase them?  Will they fit in the existing holes for the original vents?
I don't like sitting or laying with the air blowing on me. They look like they will do the job without needing redirected every tile I move.
Thanks,
Indiana Journey

Director said:
John,

Director, I took the reflectors out of my puck lights to have room for the led's.
As for a voltage regulator, I didn't use one. The led's that I used have a operating range of 10VDC - 30VDC and I was told I wouldn't need it from the company I bought them from. Speaking of the company, it's name is Marine Beam. They taught me a ton when I spoke with them. Here is a link to the bulbs. They were $95.00 for 10.

http://store.marinebeam.com/g4ledbu6smdp.html

Goodluck, led's are awesome IMHO!

Director said:
Terry,
Did you have to break the reflectors out or was there a way to remove them elegantly?
I just pulled on it with a little wiggle and them came right out. I think they are held in by burning the plastic on two little lips of the reflector.

I hope you check out Marine Beam too. All of there light are for marine vessles (da on my part) and are very high quality but competitive in price for the most part. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom