EPDM Coatings
Desert Valley RV Park
RV LED Bulbs offer Sponsored by Spotless Water Systems rvupgradestore.com Composet Products EVDO

Author Topic: Water Pressure Regulator  (Read 2562 times)

jlazar

• ---
Water Pressure Regulator
« on: January 23, 2013, 07:22:04 PM »
In searching the forum I have found a lot of threads on different water pressure regulators, where/how to hook them up, the dangers of high campground pressure, etc.  But I don't find a lot of discussion on what pressure everyone is actually setting theirs to.  I bought an adjustable Watts regulator from the RV Water Filter Store.  I have a 2005 Allegro Bay.  I am wondering how high I can safely set the water pressure and how high you folks have yours set.  Thanks.

Neal

• ---
Re: Water Pressure Regulator
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 07:39:25 PM »
We set ours at 55 PSI
Neal,        2008 Winnebago Journey 39Z, Freightliner XC-S chassis,
Cummins ISB 6.7L 350 HP, Allison 3000,  2014 Honda CRV Toad.

Ned

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 07:42:43 PM »
Anything up to about 60psi should be safe.  We have our city water regulated to 60psi and haven't had any problems with the RV plumbing.  When at a campground, I don't worry about using the regulator until the pressure exceeds about 70psi maximum.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Want to know what we're doing? http://blog.usabyrv.us

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 08:01:08 PM »
My RV sdays 45PSI I set it to 50, 45-55 is common, 60 is where you should worry.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 08:02:09 PM »
60 psi.

tvman44

• ---
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 08:22:51 PM »
Ours is set to 50 lbs .

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 01:49:50 AM »
I set mine to 50 PSI, down from 110 PSI supplied by the city.   I determined the pressure by being able to turn the shower's hot water full on, moderate the temperature with the cold and wind up with a satisfying flow rate out of the shower head.  No use going any higher than necessary.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 01:51:59 AM by Lou Schneider »

Clay L

• ---
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 11:52:48 AM »
I have had mine set to 65 psi for ten full timing years with no plumbing issues. Of course park pressures over 45 or so seem to be not seen real often. I usually see 35 to about 40 psi - maybe 65 to 70 percent of the time.
We have spent an entire system in a state park with 130 psi so had a fair amount of time with our coach seeing 65 psi.
Winnebago says they test the system at 80 psi.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Settled down after full timing for eleven years and snowbirding for one year in a 2004 Winnebago 35N Sightseer, Workhorse W 20 Chassis. Honda toad

tvman44

• ---
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 12:31:34 PM »
One St Pk we like has 110#, better have a regulator there.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 12:50:32 PM »
Gee. some folks flame me when I mention parks with pressures in the triple digits.  But the park I'm in says they have seen 112, I've seen 120 with my own eyes, and what you guys said about 100+ ..   Oh well,   Thanks guys.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 01:38:12 PM »
Ultra high water pressures are common out west.  Even in the flats of West Los Angeles, CA, the water pressure at my stick house is 85 psi.   The campgrounds in and around Salt Lake City are notorious for very high water pressure -- 100 psi and up with surges even higher.   While we were at SL we spied a unit with water running out of its undercarriage and from a door -- plumbing evidently burst.  No one was at home.   We turned off their water at the hydrant.   Never did see what happened when they returned.   :( 

A few precautions are needful out here in the west:

1.  Always use a pressure regulator mounted at the campground hydrant

2.  Monitor the pressure by attached an in-line pressure gauge at  the outlet side of that regulator;

3.  When you leave the RV for any appreciable amount of time, turn off your water at the hydrant, lest you get an unwelcome upon returning. 

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 01:07:11 PM by Carl L »
Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 01:57:07 PM »
This pressure problem is actually a real gamble. I will vote for a law/regulation that demands to have a real pressure regulator be present in every new RV as standard equipment. Surely the expense for the manufacturer would be minimal compared to the production cost of a major machine like an RV.
  Perhaps smaller trailers could be exempted. To make it an option would not work well as there will be tons of RV's without a regulator still being sold. Let's go on a crusade... 
Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
...Logic works like a charm...

tvman44

• ---
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 02:33:03 PM »
I always use a regulator regardless of the pressure and if we leave the 5er for more than a hour or 2 I turn off the water, I too have seen water pouring out of a trailer and no one home.

odie1234

• ---
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 03:09:11 PM »
I was told by a manufacturer's tech rep that 60# is the design pressure for our motorhome. I set our regulator at 50 and that seems to provide all the pressure we need. We have seen a few places with extraordinarily high water pressure (over 100) - even a couple with big warning signs at check in and loaner regulators provided for guests without them. We also have seen water running from unattended rvs and try to remember to turn the water off when we are going to be away from our unit.

Wolf Pack Fan

• ---
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 09:07:47 PM »
Ultra high water pressures are common out west.  Even in the flats of West Los Angeles, CA, the water pressure at my stick house is 85 psi.   The campgrounds in and around Salt Lake City are notorious for very high water pressure -- 100 psi and up with surges even higher.   While we were at SL we spied a unit with water running out of its undercarriage and from a door -- plumbing evidently burst.  No one was at home.   We turned off their water at the hydrant.   Never did see what happened when they returned.   :(

Two precautions are needful out here in the west:

1.  Always use a pressure regulator mounted at the campground hydrant

2.  Monitor the pressure by attached an in-line pressure gauge at  the outlet side of that regulator;

3.  When you leave the RV for any appreciable amount of time, turn off your water at the hydrant, lest you get an unwelcome upon returning.

We stayed at a KOA in Salt Lake City.  Nicest one we've stayed in so far and very nice folks.  They told us when we were checking in that the pressure was pretty high and ask if we had a regulator.  If I remember correctly they had a few loaners.  That's caring for your customers.
Proud to have served 1976-1996.  Retired US Army, Airborne.
2005, 34' National Dolphin, Gasser.
Long time camper, first time RV camper.  Love it!

Wizard46

• ---
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 02:05:55 PM »
This is how I always set up and at 60 PSI, our county water here in some places is 200+ PSI

Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Current location: Home in the Woods
Home Base: Milledgeville Ga.

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 03:06:09 PM »
Wow 200psi will blow up home plumbing.

There are probably many, many RV's on the road without a proper regulator.
The little brass unit are not real pressure regulators rather just flow restricters.  The high pressure will appear in your plumbing with all inside taps turned off.

The least thing every RV should carry is a pressure meter (see below) for at least checking the park pressure before connecting the hose. If it is too high, what are you gonna do without a real regulator.
Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
...Logic works like a charm...

tvman44

• ---
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 06:20:13 PM »
You can't just check water pressure once and say you don't need a regulator.  I remember once I checked the pressure when we were setting up and it was abt.65 psi but I put my regulator on as always and that night I looked at the gauge I had ahead of the regulator and it was abt. 115 psi.  I kept checking every time I went outside that trip and the pressure was all over the place as low as 55 psi to 115 psi, guess it depended on how much water was being used at the time.  Lesson learned "always use a regulator. :)

jlazar

• ---
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback.  I have been running mine at 55 PSI.  Based on all your feedback, I will probably just leave it there and make sure I never exceed 60.

Gary RV Roamer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • We're on the road again...
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 05:09:47 PM »
Your water pump is factory pre-set to run at about 45-48 psi.

I've never found even a quasi-official source for what the RVIA's official standard test pressure is (and a copy of their standards handbook is $249), but the consensus among rv techs seems to be 100 psi.

I have my regulator set at 60 psi but seldom use it in the astern USA.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition
2007 GMC Acadia
Homebase: Ocala National Forest, FL

jlazar

• ---
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 10:46:14 AM »
Gary.  You mention you rarely use a regulator in the eastern USA.  Is there a reason you would not want to leave your regulator on all the time even if the PSI is below what you have your regulator set for?

Gary RV Roamer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 07:20:48 AM »
Merely convenience. I use a "whole house" Watts regulator, which is fairly heavy and bulky, so I don't get it out unless I think I need it.  If you use one of the little ones that can stay on the hose all the time, you can leave it in place if you like. Be aware, though, that those restrict water flow (volume) a lot.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition
2007 GMC Acadia

Wolf Pack Fan

• ---
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 07:45:48 AM »
Gary,

I just ordered a new Watts regulator.  The H560G.  Will it restrict waterflow very much?

jlazar

• ---
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 10:17:42 AM »
I have the Watts 263A which is rated at 4-4.5 gpm.   The H560G appears to be rated at 2-2.5 gpm.

tvman44

• ---
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 01:07:45 PM »
I have the Watts 263A and don't notice any restriction, can't sat about the model you have. :)

Wolf Pack Fan

• ---
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 10:41:07 PM »
Was hoping for first hand feedback from someone that had used it and honestly I didn't think about checking the flow rate before I ordered it.  I checked the flow rate on the Watts website.  They rate it at up to 250 gph.  If the correct formula is 250/60, that = 4.16 gallons a minute.  Is that a pretty good flow rate?  Still to cold here at night to test it and I want to have to something to look forward to when Spring hits.   ;D

Gary RV Roamer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 09:16:43 AM »
4 gpm is plenty, but 2 gpm is marginal. Most people aren't happy with the shower water flow at 2 gpm. The flow rate varies with the source pressure and the amount of pressure reduction you have dialed in. It appears the H560P can to do 250 gph at 40 psi, but I would run it at 50-60 psi output, for better flow and pressure.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 08:43:22 AM by Gary RV Roamer »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition
2007 GMC Acadia

Wolf Pack Fan

• ---
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 07:51:29 AM »
4 gpm is plenty, but 2 gpm is marginal. Most people aren't happy with the shower water flow at 2 gpm. The flow rate varies with the source pressure and the amount of pressure reduction you have dialed in. It appears the H560P can to 250 gph at 40 psi, but I would run it at 50-60 psi output, for better flow and pressure.

It's set at 40 psi out of the box.  I'll crank it up to 55 once we start using it.  Thanks for the tip Gary!