Leadville All4Fun registered, anyone else - Others in the area?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ernie n Tara

Hi,

I've just registered for the 2013 All4Fun. Anyone else planning to go?

We're already attending the FMCA and Forum rallies in Moab (May 6 'til). Does anyone know of other 4 wheeler rallies within  a couple of hundred miles of SW CO?

Ernie

I did about a month ago Ernie and I do beleive John is too. I really hope to have my build done so I can take my Jeep instead of the Wife's. It has "Only" been about two year's since I started. I just need to focus and get it done, but you know how things go sometimes? I have changed a few things during the build so I don't have to change it later. I did my "wife's " Jeep three times and I don't want to go there again. LOL  Should be a great week of wheelin and fun. Happy RVing and Wheelin! ;D

We've been away from the keyboard at a San Antonio Jeep Exclusive club run Saturday and Sunday.

Ernie - yes, we'll be signing up for the A-4-F this year (need to do that) and we're doing the FMCA 4-Wheelers Moab rally.  We'll be leading 7-mile Rim (one of our favorite trails anywhere) I think on Thursday.

If you want to wheel with us in the San Juans, we'll be in the Montrose, CO area beginning June 23 and leaving from there for the A-4-F.  Our Western Slope 4-Wheelers usually do one or two runs every week in the summer.

John,

We'll be in SE CO all summer (June 1 thru August) with trips to A4Fun and ND scheduled already. We have nothing scheduled the weeks before and after A4Fun or for the balance of Aug. Perhaps we could join one of the club's runs (nothing too dramatic - about Poison Spider level) sometime along in there. Remember, we've got one of those pitiful stock JK's ;D

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
Perhaps we could join one of the club's runs (nothing too dramatic - about Poison Spider level) sometime along in there. Remember, we've got one of those pitiful stock JK's..

No problem joining us an a club run, sometimes three or four of us at Centennial RV Park will up and decide to make a run without it being a large organized club run.

There's nothing difficult in the area with the exception of Poughkeepsie - that one's not for a stock Wrangler, especially a stock 4-door, everything else in the area is pretty easy (except for the pucker factor on a shelf road at 13,000'  ;D.)

Actually, the Jeep is a Rubicon with a 2-inch lift; not quite as pitiful as some ;D

We'll look forward to working something out after A4Fun. Do you happen to know of any other 4x4 rallies in the area this summer?

Tx,

Ernie

John Canfield said:
There's nothing difficult in the area with the exception of Poughkeepsie - that one's not for a stock Wrangler, especially a stock 4-door, everything else in the area is pretty easy (except for the pucker factor on a shelf road at 13,000'  ;D.)
I don't know about Poughkeepsie not being for stock Jeeps John. A few years ago with All 4 Fun I saw a stock JK on it and the best thing about it was it was rented. This guys tried to go up on the left side. I mentioned that to you before. In you video "San Juan Mountains - Poughkeepsie Gulch - most difficult obstacle there  " it is where the person in yellow is standing in front of a Jeep at the beginning of the video. In my opinion, that is where the JK will shine with the right improvements and longer wheel base. It is real cool to watch too. Well this guy tried that and he couldn't;t make it. So he went to back down and his receiver was still in a he got stuck on that. Needless to say, it took all of my winch power to pull him up. Fun day! ;)

Real Jeeps Have Two Doors. I am just joking!!

You can see the way I am talking about in this video John.

Most people will put the right side tires up on that big rock. This makes the left front hang way up in the air.
Edit: Shortened link.

Just found a video of a guy going up that side. You ahve to be real careful because it is so of camber. I have seen guy side right into the side of the big rocks and really tear up stuff. That is why they ride up the rocks with the right side. Fun stuff!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NH85IpYgMY

You will love this video!

Ernie n Tara said:
Actually, the Jeep is a Rubicon with a 2-inch lift; not quite as pitiful as some

Okay then  ;D, I'll take you up Poughkeepsie.

We'll look forward to working something out after A4Fun. Do you happen to know of any other 4x4 rallies in the area this summer?

No I don't Ernie.

hes4all said:
You can see the way I am talking about in this video John.....
Most people will put the right side tires up on that big rock. This makes the left front hang way up in the air.

The easy line is on the right with the right tire on that ridge of rocks and you straddle that gully.  We've been up the right side, down the right side and up the left side in about a ten minute period.  The middle line is when you want damage.

Here's my video of the wrong line.  The spotter was absolutely clueless.

Here's dash cam of me going up the easier right side.

Here's me going up the left side.

Sorry John, in my second video post is the area I am talking about. In your video showing the wrong way, it is to the left of where all the people are watching you. Thanks for fixing the link.

Terry - that's what we call the middle line.  I looked it over last summer and would not try that line - almost guaranteed damage unless you keep the tires on the rock ledge.

The right side is actually easy with good tire placement, I had more trouble on a small boulder field just before the Poughkeepsie wall.

I took a new to the area Forest Service ranger with limited rock-crawling experience on Poughkeepsie (our club works closely with the agency).  They have 2-door JK Rubicons on All Terrain TAs - he tried Poughkeepsie by himself and got cold feet at the first small boulder field maybe 1/2 mile or so from the wall.  He was funny - he got out of Rubi and watched me and took pictures as I crawled through the boulders.

Since being off-camber is so scary for some, I put Rubi at odd angles as frequently as possible to get him used to that experience.

Back
Top Bottom