Another force update report .... Windows 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

Here we go again.  Have been running XP (Service pack 3) since new 5 years ago.

Today I checked my version and found that I am now on Windows 8.  Now how did that happen without my manually downloading it ?  I very rarely use Windows.

I'm sure you still have XP.  What you are seeing is the version of IE (Internet Explorer), not Windows.  Updating to IE8 is a normal step in maintaining XP if you have updates set to auto.  To upgrade from XP to Windows 8 would require a clean install.

IE8 is the latest version of Internet Explorer for Windows XP.  It was most likely installed in the last set of Windows updates.  You don't have Windows 8, I can guarantee that.

I very rarely use Windows.

If you don't use Windows, then what do you use, Linux?  Or did you mean Internet Explorer? :)

Thanks again for un-confusing me, Ned.  Yeah, I meant IE....using FF . It's hard to keep up on the lingo.

eliallen said:
Plus $40.00 now and $200.00 Feb first.

Yep, if anyone is even thinking about moving to Windows 8, now is the time to buy the upgrade.  You can download the install files and save them or even burn them to a DVD and install later.  This page is where to start.

Mary Jane said:
I was wondering.....can you uninstall IE?

No, it's an integral part of Windows.  But you don't have to use it as a browser.

catblaster said:
Is there any good reason to go to eight yet??

It depends, what do you want to do?  If you buy a new Windows tablet it will come with Windows RT and a Microsoft Surface will come with Windows 8.  If you have a touch screen computer, then Windows 8 is a possibly attractive update.  Otherwise, the only benefits are the better security and performance that it offers over earlier Windows versions.  Most people will be happier just staying with Windows 7 for a while.

At $40 I did, but  not at $200.00.  Better to buy a new computer with 8 installed. I agree with Ned

I upgraded one of my systems (Win/XP) to Win8 to get some first hand experience with it, plus I figured it was a good time (discount pricing) to get it to a more current OS version. I see no compelling reason to upgrade from Win7, but there are some advantages. What I see so far are faster boot-up,  improved File Explorer,  nicely integrated security (AV, firewall, etc),generally good performance, and a few nice apps on the new interface (aka Metro) for browsing things like news and weather. It works fine with a mouse - you don't need touch screen.

Bottom line: Win8 is a good system, but not a compelling upgrade.

We went from XP-Pro to Win7-Ultimate 64, skipping all the mini-"upgrades" between XP and Win7.  Now that Win7 is running and seems "familiar" it's hard to justify going to Win8 based on what I know currently.  There are so many tablets in use now with i-OS and Android, it's not obvious that Win8 will take off unless the corporate world adopts it big time.  They might... so it's a modest cost to order the Win8 OS software before Jan 31 just in case you need it later.  It's also a tip of the iceberg thing, once you have Win8, you probably will be motivated to upgrade many of the apps and maybe some of your hardware.  They are probably "banking" on this?  The trend now is toward being a Google/Android house, an Apple House or a Window's House.  The global trend is toward the Google/Android House.  The US trend is toward the Apple House and the corporate world is still toward Windows/Blackberry? but Blackberry stumbled so the corporate "standard" is mixed.  Microsoft is still huge in the corporate world of big networks, servers and portables.  If the new Microsoft "Surface" becomes a corporate standard, the whole market could tilt.  Interesting.  APPL is falling like Newton predicted...?  MSFT is gaining as well as RIMM and GOOG. 

Back
Top Bottom