Photos of a tiger attacking me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

Today CaptSteve's wife Trina drove me to a private residence where there were a dozen real live tigers living. I was allowed to go into the cage with a few and photograph them up close and personal. At one point I handed Trina one of my cameras and asked her to photograph me photographing the tiger. She told me to get closer a few times and the last time I guess I was too close. Samson, a 7 month old white tiger, decided to attack me. I was about 10 feet away when he made his move. I was using a telephoto lens, which magnifies the subject and I can't even begin to tell you just what a rush it was to see Sampson suddenly making a move towards me. In the photo you can't really tell how fast he is moving, but he was moving quickly. Notice the movement in his back legs.

Attachments

• Tom and a tiger.jpg
    Tom and a tiger.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 190
Here are the photos I was taking as Sampson was attacking. Notice the look in his eyes. My telephoto has a minimum focusing distance of 5 feet and in the last photo he is out of focus meaning he was about 4 feet away. Well I am here to tell the story so obviously I was not tiger lunch. The trainer was right off camera and he cracked his whip just in time to make Sampson change his path.

I don't think he was going to seriously attack me, I think he was just wanting to play. An attacking tiger lowers their ears and gets all serious first. He is only 7 months old and just looking to have fun. I am proud that I kept on shooting and didn't soil myself.

Attachments

• DSC08317.jpg
    DSC08317.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC08318.jpg
    DSC08318.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC08319.jpg
    DSC08319.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC08320.jpg
    DSC08320.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC08321.jpg
    DSC08321.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 103
Where's the photo of the tiger devouring Tom?

Great pics, glad it was not me. If it was me the pen would probable need cleaning out.

Beautiful cats though

WOW!!!

What a gorgeous animal.  You're very lucky - more ways than one!  ;) Glad you missed being tiger lunch.

ArdraF

99WinAdventurer37G said:
Great pics.  I thoroughly enjoyed them.  The last pic looks like the tiger might be ready for a nap.
My camera was set at 7 frames per second burst mode. So there is less than a second between the first and last frame. As soon as Sampson started for me the trainer cracked his whip and the last shot is a reaction to the whip crack. They don't even crack the whip anywhere near the tiger, it is not to hurt him. The tiger is reacting to the sound, they hate the sound. Mellows the tiger right out.

gwcowgill said:
Great Pics Tom, You are supposed to keep food in their mouth when close to them. See my avatar and it shows you how to do it with a Bengal.
On my 11 inch screen your avatar is about 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch. Could you post a larger image? I have had to change my plans so I won't be getting down to south Florida this trip, so I won't get to you meet you till next year. I'm bummed.

Tom,

I told you not to tease Trina about those Bald Eagles showing up after she left the campground! I know she paid that tiger off to get even! LOL ;D

Here is some interesting trivia. The tiger is the largest cat species, reaching a total body length of up to 11 ft and weighing up to 670. It is the third largest land carnivore behind the Polar bear and the Brown bear. The largest African Lions get up to 550 pounds. Male lions look much bigger and heavier because of their giant mane. Today my three kitty cats look like midgets.

Back
Top Bottom