2013 RV Forum QZ Rally activities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Betty,

There was a fire tonight but I'm not sure if the Stoudts will have more. We leave in the morning for Maricopa. Tonight we went to dinner with Bob Buchanan. Attached are some photos of the fire and sunset. Not nearly as spectacular as previous nights. It was much better as we were picking up Bob for dinner but I didn't take any photos.

Attachments

• _MG_2065.jpg
    _MG_2065.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 45
  • _MG_2067.jpg
    _MG_2067.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 32
  • _MG_2072.jpg
    _MG_2072.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 34
Nice evening around the fire with the ever dwindling group. And then treated to a nice dinner with Jim and Pat Dick. And finally, watched Kentucky beat Ole Miss as I finished my take home.  It doesn't get much better than that! I will most likely leave in the AM or on Friday.

The Eastern skies reflected the reds that began happening as the sun dipped behind the Western mountains. Here are a few with flash in the forground . . .

Attachments

• GroupRedSkies1-29.JPG
    GroupRedSkies1-29.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Janet.JPG
    Janet.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 50
Wendy said:
So who's still there? And who'll be the last to leave ?

Doug and Cheryl, and Jim and Pat left today.  Bob, the Salhaus', the Andersens, and the Stoughs are still here.  Bob said that he may leave today or tomorrow, not sure about the Salhaus' or Andersens.  The Stoughs are going to Phoenix on Friday for a birthday party.  On Saturday Jim and I are returning to Q.  Jim is planning on going back home, and I am planning on heading to Yuma.

See ya all down the road.

Paul

Ron from Big D said:
  Bob:  What was your shutter speed of the sunset with the flash?

That was one of those, "OMG, look at that sky - and I don't have my camera", shots, Ron. I walked back to my rig (no running with bionic hips) to get it. So settings were done quickly w/no time from tripod. I went to aperture priority, set the f stop at 5.6 that put the shutter speed at 1/60. If on a tripod would have set the f-stop to 9.0 or 10.0 and mode to Manual. The ISO was fixed here at 100.

In a shot like that, I think of the people and the sunset as two entirely different exposures. I go with the sunset first, then let the flash do the folks. The flash speed handles the movement of the foreground people while the camera shutter speed handles the sunset.

I went to aperture priority, set the f stop at 5.6 that put the shutter speed at 1/60. If on a tripod would have set the f-stop to 9.0 or 10.0 and mode to Manual.

That's the kind of stuff that comes intuitively to photographers, but not to us point-and-shooters  :(

[quote author=Bob Buchanan]... I copied it out of a photo article to impress Ron.[/quote]

LOL Bob, I doubt that very much  ;D

I've tried in vain to get a local retired guys club to start up a 'photographic group', hoping I could attend and learn something from the experts. But these guys prefer to participate in golf and bowling (both large, active groups), pickle ball (very active sport), bocce ball (about as active as lawn bowls), bridge or wine tasting (not so active). They even have an RV'ing group, and I get to be the photographer at their rallies  :-[

What a great group and great time in Quartzsite!  Sheryl and I thank you for the friendship and hospitality during our first boondocking experience. 

Sheryl seems to have recovered from her respiratory ailment so we are back to an active schedule.  We hiked Q Mountain, followed Marsha out to the petroglyphs and played golf on our last two days in Quartzsite but sense there is lots more we could have explored if Sheryl had been feeling well.

Spent the first day here at Cocopah in Yuma removing Quartzsite dust but now looking for a solution to hard water for exterior cleaning - Bill, are you still willing to bring over your mop?  :)

We'll be following the Forum regularly now and hope to connect with you all or individually whenever our routes bring us together.

Doug and Sheryl

Doug & Sheryl,

Glad you enjoyed QZ as much as you could and that Sheryl is better. There are a couple of places that offer to wash the rig at your site, not sure if a campground will allow it, for about 1/4 the cost in Florida. One of them is Romeo's. I didn't have mine done when we were there but there were flyers delivered to each RV lot in the foothills.

Hay Doug & Sheryl,
    The mop has been retired .  We are in the Foothills with geocaching friends and running ourselves ragged.  Went out to the bombing range this morning and found 26 caches.
    As Jim said, there are a number of companies that will come to your site with good water.

Bill Dane  99 CC  Allure

Sheryl and Doug, so good to be parked next to you in the sick bay. Next year we will have to bring out Sheryl and Bob so that the rest of the group can see they actually exist. Thanks to all! Susan

Doug and Sheryl,
Great meeting you guys at Q.
Safe travels and keep us posted on the wine tasting stops. :)

Back
Top Bottom