Hauling a boat with 24 inch extension

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmaher

I have a 2012 Ram 3500, Class IV hitch (TW 1000/10000) with a 24 inch extension, is this sufficient or do I need to put on a Class V hitch?

Thanks

why a 24 inch extension? they do cut the towing capacity. some have how much stamped on the extension. I had a 12 inch that cut capacity in half.

1275gtsport said:
why a 24 inch extension? they do cut the towing capacity. some have how much stamped on the extension. I had a 12 inch that cut capacity in half.
We're in the Truck Camper section so I suspect the extension is needed to get beyond the end of the camper.

To the OP, the extension effects mainly the tongue weight characteristics of the hitch and not the towing capacity so much.  I recommend coming up with a way to stiffen the extension from side-to-side, perhaps with cables and turnbuckles or something similar angling out to the bumper or frame on either side to relieve side stresses.  Other than that if your tongue weight is minimal (less than say 250 lbs) and your boat is a relatively light fishing boat, your current hitch s/b OK.

oops didn't notice which section we were in. was just reading new posts.

I had mine welded solid to the hitch not sure what kind of gain that is. mine is due to permanent bumper extension for tool box. I know that would not work for the OP. I can see how the cables might help stabilize the extension. not sure if it will help with tongue weight .

1275gtsport said:
oops didn't notice which section we were in. was just reading new posts.

I had mine welded solid to the hitch not sure what kind of gain that is. mine is due to permanent bumper extension for tool box. I know that would not work for the OP. I can see how the cables might help stabilize the extension. not sure if it will help with tongue weight .
You are right, the cables would not help tongue weight.  Their sole purpose would be to stabilize side-to-side.  The OP indicated his hitch has a 1000 lb tongue weight capacity which is why I said he probably should not exceed 250 lbs or so with the 24" extension.

One thing you may want to consider is to extend your trailer to reach under the camper to the ball,  When we purchased our last boat we had the dealer put it on a trailer that had a long enough extension to eliminate the extension we previously needed. It is a bit of a pain in the $%$#@ to hook up with the camper on, but I like the Idea of having less stress on the hitch,  Some will say you may need the trailer manufacturers permission or recommendations to do this. They may even have some suggestions, or some kind of kit that will work. P.S. We have 1,000lb. Tongue weight. 
Happy Camping and good luck
Wes&Rose

Ditto.  Invest in a Super Hitch and Super Truss.  They aren't cheap, but the piece of mind was well worth it.  Unless the length of the Super Truss is spot on, you could get one that is a bit long and cut it down to fit your camper's overhang.  That's what I did with ours (maximizes tow and tongue caps).  thought I had a pic with the camper and boat, but the race trailer will have to suffice (similar weight when stuffed with bikes, gear and fuel to our 23' wakeboard boat).

Attachments

• 464984_3304481927820_191290012_o.jpg
    464984_3304481927820_191290012_o.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 29
markowwes said:
One thing you may want to consider is to extend your trailer to reach under the camper to the ball,  When we purchased our last boat we had the dealer put it on a trailer that had a long enough extension to eliminate the extension we previously needed. It is a bit of a pain in the $%$#@ to hook up with the camper on, but I like the Idea of having less stress on the hitch,  Some will say you may need the trailer manufacturers permission or recommendations to do this. They may even have some suggestions, or some kind of kit that will work. P.S. We have 1,000lb. Tongue weight. 
Happy Camping and good luck
Wes&Rose

This is the best and safest way to go! I tow a 10,000 pound flatbed behind my 11.5 camper and I extended my trailer tongue to tow without an extension. I did the extended section lower than the existing tongue to provide more clearance to the camper at first, but when I got a 4x4 dually I redid the trailer tongue straight so I had more ground clearance.

Yes I know, first thing everyone says is the trailer tongue is gonna hit the bottom of the camper. In years and thousands of miles of doing this, I haven't had a problem and my trailer tows solid and straight. I don't believe any three or four foot hitch extension, no matter how strong, is a good idea unless your trailer is pretty light.

It is a little more pain-in-butt to hitch and unhitch, you have to crawl under a bit, but I feel SO MUCH better having my trailer hitched up right at the truck where it isn't trying to twist the hitch off and where it hasn't got all that extra leverage on the truck to create sway or unload the front tires. No matter what you do, the physics are what they are. The closer to the rear axle the hitch is, the better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom