Best route from Calgary to LA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lientrac

Hi everyone,

I have been searching the RV forums, ok lurking, but haven't found too much information about which route is the best route to take in March.  We are renting an RV to see if we would like to buy an RV.  We pick up the RV March 21 and we are looking to head to LA for the spring break.

However, we are new driving an RV and not sure what the best route is to get to LA in an RV. 

We have two options - one is to go down Hwy 3 - Calgary-Fernie-Cranbrook-Spokane-Portland-LA
The second option is Calgary-Great Falls - Helena - Salt Lake City - LA

The only thing is that we have never driven an RV - only a 30ft Uhaul truck (not sure if that is much different - we'll find out), so we are a little leery of road conditions and all the other scary stuff about driving an RV I have read about such as climbing hills and freezing pipes.

Does any of the RVers out there know which is the best route for a newbie RVer?  I am concerned about snow on the road, inclines, declines (I'm thinking this is called grades ;))  or anything else that would affect my route.  We have 14 days, so we'll be taking it slow and easy.

The other question is, when I pick up the RV, should I ask them to dewinterize the RV so we can actually use the RV fully or leave it until we get to a warmer climate? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all for the already great advice about RVing that I have read!

Lien

Which route will probably depend on the weather when you leave, I would check both out but stay flexible on deciding.

If the m/h has a heated basement using the water systems is fine as long as you keep the heat on until you get to above freezing overnight temperatures. If it is a Class C the chances are that the holding tanks are not heated and I would wait. The rental company can tell you if it is heated.

In either case ask them to return all valves to normal operating positions so that when you do add water it will be ready to work

I have driven from LA to Calgary and back going the Great Falls to Salt Lake rout on I15.  I like I15 over I5 going north and south, but I'm sure others will have opinions that differ.

I-15 all the way to LA is you best bet, and yes leave the RV winterized `till you get to Salt lake city

Thanks guys for the advice!

Vmax and Jeff - you guys have differing opinions on leaving the MH winterized - you are right it is a Class C MH so the basement is not heated.  Does this matter?  Pros and Cons?  I have never winterized or dewinterized a MH before...is it difficult?  I read up on it, but it seems like you might cause some serious damage if done incorrectly... :-\

Thanks so much.

Lien

Yes leave the RV winterized, until you get above 0C, winterizing is easy, just follow the owners manual, if basement holding tanks not heated, have about 2 liters of RV anti-freeze in each tank, you will be using rest stops and campground washrooms until you get down here, so haul-ass as fast as you can!

So then the best route is to take Calgary - Great Falls - Salt Lake - LA?  Any reason not to go Spokane route - is that route more prone to snow or ice rather than the MT route?  I was thinking I would take in the Avenue of Giants along the way and maybe stop in San Jose if there was time.  Any advice?

vmax1 said:
Yes leave the RV winterized, until you get above 0C, winterizing is easy, just follow the owners manual, if basement holding tanks not heated, have about 2 liters of RV anti-freeze in each tank, you will be using rest stops and campground washrooms until you get down here, so haul-ass as fast as you can!

Thanks very much Vmax1.  Appreciate the advice!

lientrac said:
So then the best route is to take Calgary - Great Falls - Salt Lake - LA?  Any reason not to go Spokane route - is that route more prone to snow or ice rather than the MT route?  I was thinking I would take in the Avenue of Giants along the way and maybe stop in San Jose if there was time.  Any advice?

From Spokane to Portland is a days drive and then at least another long day to CA and another over to the coast to the giants.  Another to San Jose. Then add  the time at each of those locations.  A days drive to LA and your time there and then the long drive up 1-15 to Canada.  LA to Great Falls is 3 long days.  How much time do you have, 2 weeks??

Additionally, you will need time somewhere along the trip for washing clothes, bedding, towels, etc.  Just guessing, I count 10 days on the road without the time in LA going to the coast and down.  I am using 400 mile days which are long days in a RV.  You can do more but you pay a price in tiredness etc.

Just some quick thoughts on your trip.

BTW, we do Bozeman to LA frequently as we  have family and friends in that area and it takes us 3 1/2 days if we hurry.  Usually it is more like 4 days.  Bozeman to Pocatello/McCammon, Willard bay or preferably further south, Las Vegas area and then Orange County/Disneyland area.  This works out to about 300 mile days.

Oh! you want to go to see the redwoods first, then forget about I-15, head to spokane like you want then get on I-5 south to Calif, its more miles from Calgary but still good route, just check on the internet for weather 400 miles ahead of you every day, dont want to be caught in any blizzards driving. You will have some mountain passes to climb on this highway.

Thanks Jim Godward for the advice.  400 miles - I assume that means roughly 6 hours of driving?  I'm thinking of a minivan driving time, is RV driving time different than regular car?  I assume you still have to do the speed limit?  75m/hr?

Vmax1 - the route through Montana - aren't there some mountain passes through there as well?  I would have to cross the Rockies at some point right?  Is the route through Spokane tougher to drive than the Montana route for a newbie?

Thanks for all your advice!

Yes you will drive high up a few passes either way, but the Interstates are well maintained because they are truck routes thats why I like to drive them, I drive 60 to 65 mph, only problem you will have is leaving Calgary traffic and the trip into BC, Canuk drivers are nutty!!!

Lol!  Canuck drivers aren't bad!  Our traffic is nuthin compared to California's!!!  That's crazy!

I was looking at flying into Las Vegas or LA and picking up an RV down there to save some driving time, but it looks like the time frame that we are going in is expensive or already booked up!  Apparently, there is no "off" season in Vegas or LA!  Although I'm not looking forward to the winterish weather driving, looks like we are driving from Calgary all the way to LA!

Thanks for the advice all - I think we will take the Spokane route and take a detour to the Avenue of Giants.  Never been before and as RVers say - its all about the trip, not the destination.

Lien 8)

If you are going that far out of your way and have the time, due the Oregon coast too.  That will avoid all the mountain passes but does have winding roads.

Jim, wouldn't have I still have the mountain passes between Fernie and Creston BC before I hit Cranbrook?  Those are the ones that I am worried about in the spring.

Since you are traveling in March be sure and check to see if the campgrounds where you want to stay are open.  Some don't open until later in the year.

Have you chosen a place to stay while in LA?

Also, someone mentioned filling the tanks with antifreeze, don't do that with the water holding tank, just keep it drained and use bottled water.

Marsha~

lientrac said:
Jim, wouldn't have I still have the mountain passes between Fernie and Creston BC before I hit Cranbrook?  Those are the ones that I am worried about in the spring.

OOPs, I didn't check in Canada as I was thinking of coming to Great Falls and then heading west.  If you use US 2 I think you can still avoid passes although you do get a mild one near Glacier.

Marsha/CA said:
Since you are traveling in March be sure and check to see if the campgrounds where you want to stay are open.  Some don't open until later in the year.

Have you chosen a place to stay while in LA?

Also, someone mentioned filling the tanks with antifreeze, don't do that with the water holding tank, just keep it drained and use bottled water.

Marsha~

Thanks Marsha - I hadn't thought about the campgrounds staying open.  And I guess I have to check to see if they are open all the amenities are available right - like water...

Jim Godward said:
OOPs, I didn't check in Canada as I was thinking of coming to Great Falls and then heading west.  If you use US 2 I think you can still avoid passes although you do get a mild one near Glacier.

Jim, are you thinking Calgary - Lethbridge - Kalispell - Spokane?  I would need to cut through Glacier and then take US 90 to Spokane right?  You think this is a better route than Calgary-Fernie-Cranbrook-Spokane?  It adds an additional 2 hours according to Google Maps...less danger of snow and ice you think?

Thanks Jim for you advice so far!!  Very much appreciated!

lientrac said:
Jim, are you thinking Calgary - Lethbridge - Kalispell - Spokane?  I would need to cut through Glacier and then take US 90 to Spokane right?  You think this is a better route than Calgary-Fernie-Cranbrook-Spokane?  It adds an additional 2 hours according to Google Maps...less danger of snow and ice you think?

Thanks Jim for you advice so far!!  Very much appreciated!

I was not thinking of the northern route as I am not familiar with it.  If you come down  Through Lethbridge  all the way to US 2 and around the south end of Glacier park, the drive is relatively easy, no pass to speak of  and continue on 2 to Bonners ferry and then go south, It may take a little longer but there is no pass.  US 2 is 2 lane but the last time I drove it it was fine.  Between Libby and Troy you can cut south to MT 200 and go west to Sandpoint and down to Spokane.

Using Delorme Topo or Street Atlas, the difference is about an hour and less than 20 miles no matter which route you choose.  In a RV I suspect more than one day to get to Spokane which ever way as shortest time was almost 10 hours and that was with a car.  It is around 470+/- miles and we usually do not exceed 350 on a good day and in a hurry for some reason.

I vote for the easier drive.  :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom