Audio Output, Revisited

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arcticfox2005

This is really not a new topic, but rather a new idea on an old topic (RF Modulator, January 15)

I have a HDTV with no audio output of any kind. In my town there is TV shop that still actually  works on and repairs TVs. What about installing a 3.5mm headphone jack and wiring it to the existing speakers. It would power a set of wireless headphones.

Possible? Safe from high voltage, etc.?

Thanks,
Bill

Could be very dangerous as the ground of most older sets is actually abt. 70 volts above real ground.  Any contact with the speaker leads and real ground could be fatal, as in kill someone. :)

If it has a hot chassis ground you could be sending 120 volts out to your headset box and could blow the TV power supply or the wireless headphone box circuits. Usually if you install a headphone jack then a device to isolate the plug from the hot chassis is needed, usually a matching transformer. This is why cheaper sets don't have headphone jacks anymore because it's not as simple as wiring across the speakers inside.  Example, If you drop earth ground, like a sat or cable lead into an open TV and it hits the metal grounding it blows the primary rectifier diodes and a fuse pretty quick.

Was not referring to installation but actual use if set has a hot chassis.

SeilerBird said:
That may be true but since it is an HDTV it can't be an older set. And the first instruction would be to unplug the set.

Thanks for the responses.

The TV is a new 27" Samgsung, 1080p, packaged as a Monitor/Tv, and I am lead to believe that is why it has no audio output.

The TV shop I mentioned is warranty authorized for all, if not most, of the major brands. They previously replaced, under warranty, the power supply board on my home set, a Sharp LCD.

I am assuming they have the smarts to work around the hot chassis issue - I will certainly bring it up when I talk to them.

Thanks again - additional comments welcomed.

Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom