Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, Cody

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marsha:

I agree with all you said.  :D

The only problem is, that as Ron pointed out as did I in an earlier message, the road where i slowed down and split the middle is not the same road you are talking about.  The gravel road on the East Exit from Yellowstone was NOT a problem.  People passing on a curve and out of their boundary lane was the problem there.  I could easily do 45 mph on THAT road.  I could not exceed 5 mph on Stagecoach Road which you did not travel.

Enough of this!  I declare myself innocent of any wrongdoing and am moving on!!  ;D

I love the fish photo!  What kind of fish was it?

The passage to Cody was treacherous.  They were repairing road damage on the east entrance, and we had to travel some unpaved road without guard rails, and ravines of several thousand feet on our right side.  An uncomfortable feeling in a 40 foot motorhome pulling a station wagon.

Cody:

We didn'y need  the guardrails going UP the grade from the east. ;D

Bob,

Catching a trout is definitely different than the large mouth bass on Wawasee and a lot more fun to catch.  A large mouth bass on Wawasee *is* a big fish, I might add..... ::)  One thing I'm finding out is that the older I get, the harder it is to wade the streams.  A nice bass boat is much more comfortable.

Smokey, 

The kind of fish is a "brown" trout as in type as opposed to color.  Other types of trout are "cutthroat",  "rainbow"  and I'm sure a few others I can't remember right now.  The "brown" trout are more native to the area; are harder to catch let alone land.  It doesn't count if you catch it; but loose it on the line.  It only counts if you actually have them in the net.  They are fighters and head for the deeper water.  You have to play them very carefully and what fly fishermen call "get them on the reel" which lets the rod and reel manage the fish.  You just have to reel them in at strategic times. 

Marsha~

Smokey,

Not to beat a dead horse so to speak.  It was your reference that Jeff quoted a few messages down regarding the ravines and no guard rails coming toward the EAst entrance of Yellowstone that I was referring to. 

{The passage to Cody was treacherous.  They were repairing road damage on the east entrance, and we had to travel some unpaved road without guard rails, and ravines of several thousand feet on our right side.  An uncomfortable feeling in a 40 foot motorhome pulling a station wagon.}

I don't want people reading this thread to think that it is dangerous and treacherous.  It isn't.

I very much realize that the problem road you were experiences was on Stagecoach which is no where near the Sylvan pass going out of Yellowstone. 

Sorry to be so specific; but I'm a sysop on another forum and keeping things clairfied is in my blood so to speak.... ;D

Marsha~

[Catching a trout is definitely different than the large mouth bass on Wawasee and a lot more fun to catch.  A large mouth bass on Wawasee *is* a big fish, I might add..... ]

I always thought brown trout were German Brown trout, an import to US  waters? I've caught those at Camp Limberlost near Angola State Park.

Yes, and I've pulled large mouth out of Wawasee, Tipacanoe and Webster, the later had a hotel on the n shore in Epworth Forest where I worked for two summers before and after my Sr year of HS in Elkhart. Browns are more fun.

Ned said:
Wendy,

Here's the view from our campsite.  A short walk will let us see 2 glaciers too.

Oh, thanks Ned,

Just what all of us in the lower 48 need right now. :) I rode the bike to work this morning and it was VERY hot coming home. I'll try to envision the coolness of those mountains. ;D

Jim,

We could use a bit of your heat up here.  The temps in Seward have been in the 50s accompanied by low ceilings, fog and rain.  We're going on a boat tour tomorrow anyway, but the forecast is for some sun.

Ned said:
We could use a bit of your heat up here.? The temps in Seward have been in the 50s accompanied by low ceilings, fog and rain.? We're going on a boat tour tomorrow anyway, but the forecast is for some sun.
Ned,
Be sure to take your sea sick pills.  They charge $5 on board for the pills and  worth every cent!!!

Betty

Betty

We don't get sea sick but if we did we would take them an hour before boarding the boat.  We have been in 8 to 12 footers and also choppy water on Lake Michigan many times.  Thanks for the clue though.

Marsha:

Not a problem.  I agree any experienced RVer should have no trouble with YS east entrance coming down.  By treacherous, I was referring to the fact that an absent minded moment could send a coach off the edge of a 2,000 foot ravine with no guard rail to object to the path taken.  When you combine that with irresponsible drivers on the road, it is ... well ... treacherous comes to mind.  :D  I was comparing it to previous times when guard rails and paved roads made the going a bit more safe and comfortable, especially on the descent.  Perhaps another choice of word would have been better.

Which websites or forums do you sysop?  I am forum manager and wysop for the Investing and Careers forums on CompuServe. 

Now back to my favorite subject. 

Do you recall what type of fly you had on the line when you caught those trout?  Dry or wet?  Name of fly?  Hatch imitated?  Also where along the Madison might be a stopping point where a motorhome with no toad could find a fishing spot within walking distance.  The Admiral has left Sam's Fishing Camp and headed for Chester Montana, which will not be my route.  Thus I am toadless for the next few weeks.  I am looking for fishing spots between here and Kalispell, hoping to find either a campground along a fishing river or a pullover, where I can get out and fish.  Just got my Montana resident fishing license and am eager to try it out.

Smokey,

There is a campground where you can actually park and walk to the Madison, you wouldn't need your toad....Not fancy, but it would fit your needs nicely.  It's called "Slide Inn" and I have looked all over for a phone number for you.  I'll keep looking to see if I can find a phone number for you.  You have to get back on the west side of Yellowstone and had out toward Ennis on highway 287.  It's 1 mile just before the intersection of hwy 287 and 87.  YOu might not want to go that far; but the Madison River is world renown and if you catch a fish in the Madison you are considered a "fly fisherman"..... :p

I'm not sure if he has any available sites; but he might just let you dry camp.  The fishing is fabulous there; but the river is fast and the fish big.  He also has a fly fishing shop on site.

We used a caddis dry fly with an 18" dropper with a small bead on it.  The caddis is on the leader line with 4X and the 18" dropper is 5X. I would recomend getting a form of teflon line to use as your 5x instead of the regular tippet line.  These fish are hard and fast and will break a weak line if given a chance.  You also have to remove the barbs on the hooks.

The best time to fish is about 2 hours before dark.  You can actually see them feeding and rolling in the water  Cast above the fish and let it drift down.  They take the bead or if they are on the top of the water; they will take the caddis.

I'll keep trying to locate a phone number.

There is also a space to park at "Reynolds Pass" which is at that intersection of 287 and 87.  It's free camping and the Madison is right at your feet.

Marsha~

Thanks Marsha.  Looks like I found a campground in West Glacier at Hungry Horse on the Flathead River.  checking in tomorrow night for 5 days.  They said I could check out early if I was not happy.  If that occurs I will check out your suggestions.

In removing barbs, the way we used to do it on the Chesapeake was to squeeze down on them with a strong set of pliers.  Is that method OK out here?

Smoky,

You could also buy flies with barbless hooks or, if you tie your own flies as I do, you could buy barbless fly hooks. Less chance of stressing the metal in those small hooks.

Ned,

I'd love to send you some of the heat! Cooled down the past couple of days but it's still in the high 80's.

Jim,

We could still use some heat.  It's 55 and raining in Homer this morning.

113 here and going to warm up    Quuit crying, it's making my beer warm,  LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom