Another Residential Refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff

Moderator Emeritus
We joined a growing number of Framily this week and replaced our Norcold 1200 with a Samsung counter depth refrigerator. As part of the preparation I also installed a Magnum Automatic Generator Start to insure that the refrigerator always has power.

I was concerned enough about having enough battery storage that I ordered a second Xantrex XM1800 inverter to run the refrigerator, a CPAP machine, and our Directv DVR. By using that I can leave our primary inveter with all its parasitic loads off while boondocking.

For the past couple of days I have been running the refrigerator off the original inverter for 10 hours and have only lowered the battery voltage down to 12.4 volts so I am really pleased with how little power it is using. I was also doing this to test the AGS but never got the voltage low enough to start the generator.

We had to install the Samsung over a furnace so it is quite high but Sue is delighted with the room, the -2 degree freezer, and the idea of not having to defrost the Norcold every few weeks in the summer.

All this for less than the cost to replace a cooling unit in the Norcold.

Attachments

• Samsung Refrigerator.jpg
    Samsung Refrigerator.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 228
Fortunately for us, our new coach already had a Maytag residential refrigerator with all the extras, but it was a selling point to move from our Fleetwood Expedition that had the Norcold four door.

We, too, have noticed that the residential unit is a miser for power and has been offline for eight hours without a single degree of temperature loss. Although we are not typically boondockers, I do intend to do an in place test without shore power and see how it behaves for a day or two.

While we did not buy a new coach just for the refrigerator, certainly, Christi is ecstatic about the storage and lack of maintenance.

And when momma's happy, we're all happy!

I think the return on replacing the Norcold both in money, aggravation, and safety is probably a no brainer. I know it's a challenge for some, but if I still had the other coach, it would have already been done by now.  8)

Jim:

Yes, the refrigerator fit through the door. It is a residential model that is 24 3/8 in wide with the doors removed (The Norcold is 24 1/4 or so) while our door is 25 1/2 with the rubber gasket removed.

Two men removed and installed the refrigerators in slightly over 3 hours.

I have a 2012 MH with a 4-door Norcold 1211 IMT refer with an icemaker. So far I haven't seen anyone with a MH less then about 5-6 years old post that they have replaced their Norcold with a residential refer.

I'm wondering, would you folks have changed out a 1-2 year old Norcold? And, were you able to install a residential refer with an icemaker?

There's another post here somewhere by Falconhunter (Chip) who did just that out of his one to two year old 5'er. He sold his refer for a chunk, too, if I recall.

Some like 'em (the Norcold), some don't. The conventional wisdom seems to be get rid of them before they die. I was on my way to change out my two year old Norcold when we traded into the new coach.  8)

skyking4ar2 said:
There's another post here somewhere by Falconhunter (Chip) who did just that out of his one to two year old 5'er. He sold his refer for a chunk, too, if I recall.

Some like 'em (the Norcold), some don't. The conventional wisdom seems to be get rid of them before they die. I was on my way to change out my two year old Norcold when we traded into the new coach.  8)
We sold our still running 1 1/2 year old Norcold for 1400.00 on Craigslist. The new 21 cu. ft. Whirlpool was 1000.00

The only refrigerator we found which would slip right into the space we had available in our Monaco McKenzie 5th wheel was the smallest Magic Chef carried by Lowe's.  Even so, the amount of extra space avaiable over the old Norcold was amazing -- especially for tall things.  I wish we had done it years ago when we had the old Bounder.

Margi

Quillback 424 said:
I have a 2012 MH with a 4-door Norcold 1211 IMT refer with an icemaker. So far I haven't seen anyone with a MH less then about 5-6 years old post that they have replaced their Norcold with a residential refer.

I'm wondering, would you folks have changed out a 1-2 year old Norcold? And, were you able to install a residential refer with an icemaker?

The Kuchs replaced theirs after a year because it could not keep up with the 115 degree temps in summetime Phoenix.

Our new Samsung has an icemaker that puts out loads of ice without frosting the freezer.

Others have thrown away their old Norcolds with bad cooling units so we decided to change out our 7 year old 1200 while it was still running and we were in AZ for the winter and could do it on our terms. I did advertise the 1200 on Craigslist for $250.00 and it was sold before we removed it from the coach.

How will you winterize the icemaker on the Samsung? Did you install a drain on the back or inside from where the waterline runs?

Quillback 424 said:
How will you winterize the icemaker on the Samsung? Did you install a drain on the back or inside from where the waterline runs?

I can disconnect the water line from the rear access panel. I assume cycling the icemaker a few times will purge the interior line.

The roof vent was filled with insulation and sealed with an aluminum plate and I have taped the wall vent so far and plan to add spray on insulation. While the refrigerator is running there is plenty of warm air back their to keep it warm.

We winter in AZ on a RV lot so the coach is not left stored in cold temps.

Congrats Jeff - looks super!    We installed ours last April and haven't looked back.  It's been a great performer and I figure it's only drawing 150 watts or less based on my inverter display,  I need to put the clamp ammeter on it though to satisfy my curiosity.

Back
Top Bottom