handgun in Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firesq5

Im going on a trip thru the US and a part of Canada. Im going into (or was going) Canada somewhere in Utah and coming back in Washington. Canada does not allow handguns so how can I get my gun from Utah to the campgroung in Washington or should I just skip Canada?? Thanks. :)

firesq5 said:
            Im going on a trip thru the US and a part of Canada. Im going into (or was going) Canada somewhere in Utah and coming back in Washington. Canada does not allow handguns so how can I get my gun from Utah to the campgroung in Washington or should I just skip Canada?? Thanks. :)

The legal way to do it is to have your gun shipped to a licensed dealer at your destination. There will likely be a service charge from the destination dealer and, of course, UPS/FedEx charges. Here is a summary from eHow http://www.ehow.com/how_4423373_ship-handgun-united-states.html

You'll have a hard time going into Canada from Utah without going through at least Idaho :)

You can ship it to a gunsmith in Washington, or leave it at home. Or as said previously, skip Canada. I started up there, and the Canadian Border Guards went through my coach from one end to the other because I had NRA stickers on my coach. After they were through, I told them that I had changed my mind, and I was going back and spend my two weeks in the U.S.A. and spend my money there. Made a U-turn and left, haven't had a desire to go back since then.

I knew their laws and was complying with them. I don't think it would have been too bad for them to make a routine search, but their attitude and the rude way they went about it along with their comments just put me off.

I've met a lot of nice Canadians down here, but will avoid Canada at all costs.

Lee

Its a shame that our border patrol is turning back regular honest people trying to vacation in our country. Unfortunately most of the crimes committed in our major cities are committed with handguns that are smuggled into the country from the USA. Handguns have been illegal here for 50 plus years except under strick regulations. Too bad that they cant find a way to distiguise between good people and these thugs who dont seem to have any problem getting these guns over here. Where I live in Muskoka, we are heavily dependent on tourism, and its sad to hear statements like this.

I agree with Frizlefrak keep your guns and stay home. This is not yellowbullet so be relaxed. To many times we ( I am cdn ) are camping in the states and our neighbor states with pride " I am carrying ". I the states I dont like it but I am visiting so I have to know  & deal with that. Come visit Canada by all means but leave the hardware home.  I have no problem with Canada Border Services being thorough. Just my two cents

I have no problem with the Canada Border Service doing their job, but obviously they are doing a lousy job when crimes with smuggled guns are still being commited. It's not the guy declaring their handgun doing the crimes. By the way like I said before if I was going to Alaska I could take it in. If i was going to hurt someone I would say I was going to Alaska. I have been a firefighter/paramedic in Miami Fl for 30 years and have seen hundreds of tourist and other law abiding citizens fall prey to the thugs with illegal guns. I've had guns for over 30 years and never pulled one out on somebody, but I will not let myself or my family be hurt by someone for lack of one. I guess I can spend my 10 days and money in Montana and Washington.

Here we go again.  I'll just say "When in Rome, do as the Romans do".  Canada does not have a 2nd amendment, so you have no gun rights when visiting there.  Canada belongs to the Canadians and if one doesn't wish to abide by their laws then don't go...you'll miss a beatiful place to visit though.

OK everyone take a deep breath and count to 10, if I have learned anything over the years it is that Canadians and Americans have vastly different views on handguns.  No amount of chatter on this Forum, or face to face will change those views, so please deal with the OP's original question, which is how to get the gun from Utah to Washington. 
  As for crossing the border, we all likely can cite more horror stories about crossing into the US as opposed to crossing into Canada, yet the fact remains, they all have a job to do, and take orders about what the flavour of the day happens to be.  Each country has much to offer by way of sights, tourism, and reasons to visit, but remember we each are independent countries with our own laws that need to be respected.  I keep telling myself that every time I have to swerve to avoid a collision with some idiot here in the USA who is driving down the highway at 70 +m MPH while texting.

Ed

Ned nailed the answer to the original question ? you can't go from Utah to Canada without going thru at least one additional state. The OP really doesn't need to go thru Canada to get from Utah to Washington.

You have to go out of your way to go from Utah to Washington and include Canada...NO firearms in Canada without special permits, and NO Handguns are allowed, hunting rifles and shotguns are allowed but you must apply for permits ahead of time.

I drive to Alaska to work summers and don't even attempt to take a firearm across the border. Even if you are going to Alaska there are no special considerations.

I go to a gun shop in Montana and ship mine to a gun shop in Alaska. Costs me $25.00 on both ends plus shipping. By far the easiest method.

So either no handgun, ship the handgun or avoid Canada....pretty simple actually although Canada is beautiful and you will miss a bunch.

Enjoy,

Jim

How. about a couple cans of mace. Would stop most people in their tracks, maybe even the odd critter if reqd. I am fifty years old and have travelled all over north america and have not felt the need to pack any heat. Maybe I will buy a couple cans in case any bears show up at my next boondocking expo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom