Desulfation Technology

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

99WinAdventurer37G

What does anyone know of this?  It's at www.canadus.com and their claims seem to be too good to be true.  They gave me a flyer at an equipment show, they claim everything from extended battery life, to paying for itself in fuel savings!  It smells like snake oil to me.  I have heard of desulfation of batteries, but the claims?

It is believed by many that sulfation shortens battery life and thus desulfation can extend battery life,  Some converters already have desulfation technology buit in,  So do some of the high end battery minder/tender type products.

However I have never heard claims of fuel savings for them.

John From Detroit said:
It is believed by many that sulfation shortens battery life and thus desulfation can extend battery life,  Some converters already have desulfation technology buit in,  So do some of the high end battery minder/tender type products.

However I have never heard claims of fuel savings for them.

But has there ever been any proof that, that desulfation extends battery life?  Or is it just another gimmick to get our money?

Improved fuel economy:  Okay, here goes.  Desulfation improves battery life which improves battery charge...better battery charge, once charged, less load on the altenator...less load on the alternator, improved fuel economy.  Believe all that makes enough difference to talk about then I have this bridge... ;D

Molaker said:
Improved fuel economy:  Okay, here goes.  Desulfation improves battery life which improves battery charge...better battery charge, once charged, less load on the altenator...less load on the alternator, improved fuel economy.  Believe all that makes enough difference to talk about then I have this bridge... ;D

That's what I thought. 

I do have toll tags for sale for the future bridge to Hawaii.  Just 2,555 short miles from LA to Maui, for the low, low, price of $19.95.  Quantities limited. ;)

Molaker said:

Bravo!

But I wonder...
Is there any proof that desulfication done on a consumer level is beneficial? 

I've had a water softener for at least three years that uses the same technology to break up the calcium and magnesium as the water passes through the main water line entering the house. Works great and the conditioned water breaks down any existing calcium in the pipes. Any doubters would only need to see the liquid calcium mash that remains in the bottom of my humidifier resouvior if the humidifier isn't activated for a few days. Don't know why this technology wouldn't also work for a battery.

I personally wouldn't buy into any special for desulfication.  Back in the day when I was on submarines we had a huge battery bank, 65 cells 5ft tall and 2ft square.  The battery bank was recharged after every 1000 amp hours out and an equalizing battery charge done after every 3000 amps out since the last one.  So generally 2 normal battery charges followed by an equalizer.  There were also a test discharges done. The equalizer battery charges were done to prevet desulfication, we used air to prevent stratisfication.  In my 16 plus years on subs and 24 years in the Navy I only ever witnessed one battery bank change out.  My belief based on this knowledge is that any charger or battery minder with desulfication or equilization (rapid charging enough to produce outgassing) capabilities is sufficient enough to prolong the life of my rv batteries. 

Well Said Bob, and it echos what I think/feel/have found as well (though you echo it with a whole lot more authority than I have (Authority = experience).

As for the fuel thing,, You desulfate the battery yes it will recharge faster, but... It will suck more power during the recharge, so your net savings are ....

Well, as the person who explained it said "If you believe all this I have a bridge...."

Clark Stanley would be proud

Attachments

• snake oil.JPG
    snake oil.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 18
Bobtop46 said:
  My belief based on this knowledge is that any charger or battery minder with desulfication or equilization (rapid charging enough to produce outgassing) capabilities is sufficient enough to prolong the life of my rv batteries.

John From Detroit said:
Well Said Bob, and it echos what I think/feel/have found as well (though you echo it with a whole lot more authority than I have (Authority = experience).

Based on above statements, am I to understand that desulfication/equilization is a random thing?  Not necessary unless you want to?

Bobtop46 said:
I personally wouldn't buy into any special for desulfication.  Back in the day when I was on submarines we had a huge battery bank, 65 cells 5ft tall and 2ft square.  The battery bank was recharged after every 1000 amp hours out and an equalizing battery charge done after every 3000 amps out since the last one.  So generally 2 normal battery charges followed by an equalizer.  There were also a test discharges done. The equalizer battery charges were done to prevet desulfication, we used air to prevent stratisfication.  In my 16 plus years on subs and 24 years in the Navy I only ever witnessed one battery bank change out.  My belief based on this knowledge is that any charger or battery minder with desulfication or equilization (rapid charging enough to produce outgassing) capabilities is sufficient enough to prolong the life of my rv batteries.

Can't imagine what sub you were on that had a 120 vdc propulsion system! What was it's name and number?

I was on Quillback SS-424 as an IC2 (SS) and cleaned battery wells during my first few months on board. During the last two years I stood Senior Controllerman watches where I ran the propulsion center, charged the propulsion batteries at sea and in port, performed test discharges, equalizers, series battery runs and what we called "Crazy Combo" where we ran full while mintaining a float on all the batteries.

Quillback and all other diesel-electric subs of that era (except a couple of mini's) had two battery wells with each containing 120 lead acid battery cells with each cell containing 53 gallons of electrolyte. The propulsion sysyem was 240 vdc and we could series the battery wells and series the motors (two motors per propulsion shaft) and run fast enough to bank and fly underwater. We charged the batteries every day or night we operated and performed the charge at night if we pulled into port. During stealth operations we rolled the dice and charged the batteries for the number of minutes the dice indicated, sometimes for as little as four minutes! Equalizing charges were a "big deal" and usually took 8-9 hours with new batteries and 12 or more with old batteries. We often performed a series battery run, test discharge and equalizer together to qualify multiple individuals for different watches. As you can imagine, the propulsion motors drew 8K - 10K amps while in series battery configurations. We used airflow to remove the hydrogen from the battery wells, route it to the diesel engines and burn it and exhaust it overboard or through a snorkel mast if we were submurged. The rate of battery gassing determine how hard we hit those batteries during charges, starting with three diesel generators and tapering to one toward the end of the charge when they were really gassing.

It was routine to replace these propulsion batteries every THREE YEARS because you could have 5 - 10 cells in each well jumpered out due to the weakest cells reversing polarity during test discharges -- that was why test discharges were performed. I reported on Quillback during drydock in late '66 while new batteries were being installed and was discharged in late '69 during drydock when those batteries were being removed and  new batteries installed. During the end of their short three year life, we would start a charge before 5 pm to make sure we had the charge completed and secured before Quarters at 8 am the next morning.

Was waiting for one of the diesel boat guys to chim in.  Thanks for your service.  SSN 690, SSN 764, Squadron 22, SSN 709, SSN 21 Seawolf for a couple months.  We didn't rely on the battery as much as the diesel boats did.  I was an ETCM(SS).  Went in in '83 retired in 2007.  On modern day subs the ET, RM, IC and QM were merged into one big rate in the late 90s, making everyone an ET.  I think that it is standard these days for a subs battery bank to be changed out during refuel, or about once half way thru the subs expected lifespan of 30 years, unless the government wants to save money.  Then we chop it up when it is due for refueling at 15 years, then build a new one at 10 times the cost of the refuel 5 years later because we are short on submarines.  Don't get me started. 

I'd also like to thank you for your service Master Chief. It's special to communicate with someone who achieved the very highest level in their chosen career.

One thing about this thread: If the casual RVer only understood that every time they take their MH for a 5-6 hour drive that they are performing an equalizer charge on the coach batteries. Then, they would might take a few well spaced extra trips rather then spending those dollars on exotic battery chargers.

Back
Top Bottom