Audio Output, Revisited, AGAIN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arcticfox2005

I wanted this as a new topic so that it would maybe get new ideas.

I have a 27" Samsung HDTV fed by a rooftop digital HD antenna (King Controls Jack). The TV has no audio output of any kind. I want a headphone jack installed. A TV shop that has done warranty work for me in the past will do it, but he says it normally runs $130-$150 because of having to use an isolation transformer (which is in itself a problem in finding the correct one to use). That is option A.

I could replace the TV with one that has audio output and move up to a 32" set, and that would run about $250 with no worries about the hot chassis issue. That is Option B.

I could find a "black box" that would go in-line with the coax output of the Jack antenna, passing the audio and video through to the TV, and splitting off an audio feed which could go to a set of wireless headphones. In a previous thread, Gary RV Roamer suggested a Tuner Box made by Sabrent as a possibility. The problem with this is that it only works with analog signals and not digital. You have to dig to discover this as it is not advertised. Amazon has this item and says it is analog only. If I could find the magical "black box" that would work with digital signals, that would be Option C.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill

arcticfox2005 said:
I have a 27" Samsung HDTV fed by a rooftop digital HD antenna (King Controls Jack).
No matter what the advertising tells you, there is no such thing as a digital antenna or an HD antenna. All TV antennas will receive digital, analog and HD signals.

How about using an RV modulator?

http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-Corporation-CRF907R-Compact-Modulator/dp/B0014KKV7W/ref=pd_sim_e_4

Only $9.

I would buy the 32" tv and avoid the hassle & jury-rig.

Great minds ....

I checked out a 32" at Sam's Club and bought it 2-3 days ago. I came to the same conclusion - not much more money and a lot fewer potential problems.

Thanks.

Bill

As long as it is coax to the TV and you are feeding the tv with some kind of "Set Top Box" (Sat receiver, DVD player, Digital converter), it is very possible, But only if it's COAX. If it's anything else it's actually easier.. Here is how, three methods.

First, you need to understand that a television (Analog) signal is made up of two components, one AM (The video) and one FM The audio..  All you need is a FM radio that can be tuned to the audio carrier on Chan 3 or Chan 4 and you got it.. I"m not sure of the exact frequency without checking charts, my converter or doing research but Well,, I'll check .. Ah, memory is better than I thought, Audio for chan 3 is 60.31 and for chan 4 is 66.31 Mhz.

Some scanners can do that, Some "General coverage" receivers can do that, Some of those have fm as an option.

Second: You can get a "TV Tuner" adapter.. The Sabrent or the Silicon Dust look like they might be what you need on This Page Amazon.Com

Simply split the signal to the TV and feed one lead to the box, feed it's audio out's to the house radio receiver.

Third: Some models of "home theater" receivers can do it as well, with no need for anything else.

Forth: Finally you can use one of the USB sticks and figure out a way to drive it. I'm thinking of there is not one out already there soon will be at least one model that will work with a Razberry PI (little 25 dollar Linux machine)  That could be fun. I'd feed the Pi to the HDMI on a tv that has it or A/V on one that does not, it's a cute little box, I want about 2 of 'em,

All 4 methods should work, and likely equally well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom