RV Trip along Scenic Byway 12, Utah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raytronx

I've written up a trip log from our tour of the famous Byway 12 in Utah from last May, we spent about a week or so and stayed in 3 different campgrounds and visited Kodachrome Basin State Park, Capitol Reef NP, and Goblins Valley State Park. Hopefully it will wet the appetite of folks heading that way this year and provide a little info for you.

After our terrific visits to Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks we meandered our way down the world-famous Scenic Byway 12, Utah. We had read that this was one of the most beautiful stretches of road in Utah and the US for that manner. It did not disappoint, the concentration of amazing scenery was awesome. There is red sandstone cliffs, rock formations, huge valley vistas, deep river canyons and gorges, mountain ranges, green pine forests, cactus, giant boulders,etc. Much of it visible right from the highway as you drive along. The road is windy in places and has several steep grades but is was in good condition and had plenty of pull-outs. Which is great because the scenery makes you want to constantly pull over and admire it.

Click my blog link in the signature for more.

Cheers Ray

Attachments

• Scenic Byway 1237.jpg
    Scenic Byway 1237.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Scenic Byway 1215.jpg
    Scenic Byway 1215.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Scenic Byway 1234.jpg
    Scenic Byway 1234.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 54
  • Scenic Byway 1224.jpg
    Scenic Byway 1224.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 52
Beautiful photos, Ray. Thanks for sharing.

As I have said before they should just take everything in Utah south of I-70 and east of I-15 and make it one great big National Park.

SeilerBird said:
Beautiful photos, Ray. Thanks for sharing.

As I have said before they should just take everything in Utah south of I-70 and east of I-15 and make it one great big National Park.

I agree the whole area is amazing, got to get back there, maybe next year..

Ray-

I really enjoyed your blog posts. Both the Hwy 12 and the Zion/Bryce. We will be going to Utah for two weeks in June and hitting many of the same spots, including the campgrounds at Kodachrome and Zion.

jagnweiner said:
Ray-

I really enjoyed your blog posts. Both the Hwy 12 and the Zion/Bryce. We will be going to Utah for two weeks in June and hitting many of the same spots, including the campgrounds at Kodachrome and Zion.

Thanks, your going to have a great time! Are you going to make it over to Arches N.P. ? I think the next blog post in the Utah series will be about visiting Arches and Monument Valley

If you are going to Arches (and Canyonlands) NP remember it gets extremely hot there in June July and August. Try to be there in April, May, September or October.

Ray-

We will be spending a few days at Arches. We will be staying at Dead Horse Point SP.

Tom-

I know it will be hot, but we decided to bite the bullet. We have three kids still in school, so cooler months are out and we really wanted to see it. We will have 50 amps at DHP and it is a little higher than Moab and Arches so may be a few degrees cooler. 

jagnweiner said:
Ray-

We will be spending a few days at Arches. We will be staying at Dead Horse Point SP.

Tom-

I know it will be hot, but we decided to bite the bullet. We have three kids still in school, so cooler months are out and we really wanted to see it. We will have 50 amps at DHP and it is a little higher than Moab and Arches so may be a few degrees cooler.

Should be cooler up there, when I was there in late May we were staying just south of Moab and it was getting in to the low 80s, but on a drive up to the road through Canyonlands NP, just passed Dead Horse it was at least 10 degrees cooler

Ray-

Good to know. Thanks.  I took a look at historical weather data when planning the trip and it looks like we can expect temps in the 90s in early June.  Hot, but tolerable. I deliberately planned Arches for the front end of the trip.

Interesting blog.....and I really enjoyed the photos.

Here's a link to photos of our journey (my wife and I and a few friends) from Ouray, Colo. to Bryce Canyon last June.....  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=74330.msg1029480#msg1029480

I have to agree with Wendy.....one of the most beautiful states in this great country!

We rode through in June and on a motorcycle there's no such thing as shade or air conditioning.  We did have our cool vests, though. 

Back
Top Bottom