Any one using a dashboard camera?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sluggermike

I've noticed that a lot of motorists in Russia use dashboard cameras because of fraudulent claims.  I was made aware of this after watching all the photos of the meteorite that flew over a town in Russia.  I was thinking it might be a good idea to install one in my RV and also my passenger cars. They are relatively cheap.  I was wondering if anyone is using one for their RVs? 

I got one about the third time a car zipped past me, dove in front of me and then jammed on the brakes to turn into a driveway. I asked my insurance agent about it and he said they can be worth their weight in gold. The other side of the coin is the other party will scrutinize it and will try to determine  you are 25% at fault because you should have been 6" over more or some nonsense like that. The other thing we use it for is entry video when we are parked for the off season. It mounts in places other than a windshield so we will have a video as they come in empty handed and leave with their "new" stuff.

The question is after an incident do you tell the cop right away about the video, tell him after the other party denies the truth and files a false report, let it go all of the way to the insurance company and add insurance fraud to the mix.  I don't know from a discovery stand point when you have to declare the video. But so far it hasn't been used for a wreck but we did provide the video to the police for a theft across from us at a park.

Lots of them on Amazon.com at a good price.  Just search Dash camera or even Backup Camera .
I have a backup camera mounted on both my front and back license plates and can switch the mirror monitor from one to the other remotely . They show a very large field of view from a foot from the motorhome to up in the sky and a 170 degree angle to the sides . . Wire them to a positive on a switch so as you can activate them at any time .

Bill

A backup camera is just a camera, a dash camera includes a recorder to SD card as well.

I have my video camera on the MH dashboard. No automatic start and stop, but works just great. My concern is the folks who cut in front and jam on the brakes to get off at their exit. I have one on tape where the vehicle cut in front of me and then onto the exit so close, at freeway speeds, that the camera could not capture the license plate info because it was too close to the front of my rig and under the camera frame. It also captures some amazing lane change procedures ahead of us which would someday make for a great blooper reel. Hopefully I'll never need it for an accident, but it's there as another piece of fact if the time comes.

Ken

I have one and absolutely love it!  Haven't had the opportunity to use it in the MH yet which is what I bought it for, but use it every day in the 4-wheeler.  A good web site that gives very good info and education on dash cams is http://dashcamtalk.com/ (not an advertisement, just a very good resource).  One of the most important things to look for is a cam that does good night video, something that will eliminate a lot of the choices for you.  I'm using an iTronics, but unfortunately, iTronics has cracked the whip on the FleeBay venders who were giving very good deals, so the prices have doubled since the middle of January.

I have a nose camera. I feed it to a DVR when I'm on long trips.. Have not  yet started doing it here.

I may do something when I get a towed.. But considering that motor homes often cost upwards of 100K (six figures) I suspect your swoop and squatter may be considering them as prime targets..... Then on the other hand perhaps the idea of 13 tons of back seat crusher is not all that appealing to them.. I mean they need to be ALIVE to defraud after all.

I just ordered one from eBay.  DVR027 is a mid price range of $63 and seems to have good reviews for a lower price unit.  WIll let you know how well whenit comes in. 

bobsharon said:
Same model on Amazon.com for $28.

Please don't flame me too bad, but I think that the one on Amazon is one of the fakes.  According to the Dash Cam Forum (http://dashcamtalk.com/), the real DVR-027 puts the date/time stamp in black on white at the top center of the video.  The knock offs will put the date/time stamp using green and white to the side of the video.  Looking at the Amazon pictures, the date/time stamp of the DVR-027 video snapshots, the date/time stamp appears green (or maybe yellow) and is in the lower right corner.

bobsharon said:
Same model on Amazon.com for $28.
The one on Amazon is a knock off.  The guts are not the same, not as well built  and does not work as well.  I went on the Dashcam Forum www.forum.dashcamtalk.com and did some reasearch.  Lots of good info on this forum for dash cams.  You need to be carefull with Amazon, lots of fakes and knock offs there. 

DeWat said:
Please don't flame me too bad, but I think that the one on Amazon is one of the fakes.  According to the Dash Cam Forum (http://dashcamtalk.com/), the real DVR-027 puts the date/time stamp in black on white at the top center of the video.  The knock offs will put the date/time stamp using green and white to the side of the video.  Looking at the Amazon pictures, the date/time stamp of the DVR-027 video snapshots, the date/time stamp appears green (or maybe yellow) and is in the lower right corner.
Great minds think alike  :)

I have been wanting a dash camera for a long time now but didn't where to start. This thread has given me a new direction and I will get started with my research. I have had a few near misses and I feel a video would verify who is at fault. (On cell phone or texting) just to mention a couple of issues. Thanks for the info.

I ordered one of the ones that Ned provided the link to.  I saw some of the cheaper ones on Amazon, but the Komando seems to be pretty well built and featured. I will know shortly!

DeWat said:
...and the one offered on Amazon.com is no longer offered. I personally have not heard of any knock-offs being sold on their site...and I have spent a lot of money there over the years.
I am glad glad I didn't "single click" that one.

So I've been wanting something like this to capture scenic wonders.  Like the Million Dollar Highway, Going to the Sun Road, The Beartooth.

Or isolated screen grabs.

How long a record do you get before it overwrites?  X GB = Y hours?

Joel

Back
Top Bottom