I'm shopping for an RV; would like advice before making purchase.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna Stone

I have adult children, all living in different parts of the country. I figure the best way to spend time with them and get to know my grandchildren is just to travel back and forth between them.
I'll be traveling alone with my two dogs.
I'm looking at a couple of class "B" vehicles... 1) Regency GT, 2) Leisure Lines Unity.
I'm concerned about fuel economy, being comfortable and having a vehicle easy to drive and park. ( I am intimidated by larger vehicles, when it comes to driving them)
I'm looking for advice concerning the models I'm interested in. Driving ease, fuel efficiency and comfort.
How do they drive in mountain ranges and so forth.
Thanks in advance for your input.

If they are built on either a Ford or GM chassis your fuel economy will be no better or worse than a class C on the same chassis.  Sprinter chassis B's can get some what better economy at the sacrifice of room and comfort.  As forrice, you might consider a smaller C.  More room, lower purchase price and just as easy to drive.

You have very typical concerns for a person whom has never owned and driven an RV. As stated above the gas mileage isn't that much better with a class B over a class C. A large RV is a lot easier to drive than you can imagine. We have many women here on this forum that regularly drive very large RVs.

Class Bs have several problems. First is a lack of space, then there is the lack of storage space. And since they are on small chassis they do not have much ability to carry much extra weight anyway. Living in an RV full time means carrying every thing you own with you and if that vehicle is a class B you will be extremely limited. Class Bs also have very small holding tanks meaning you must visit the dump station frequently.

My suggestion is to rent a large class C for a weekend or two and go camping locally. Then rent a class B or a class A if you can find ones to rent in your area. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at just how easy class As and Cs are to drive. Then you should visit some local RV dealers and walk through a whole bunch of different units to see just how cramped you would be in a class B. You will be in a much better position to decide what is best for you after you have experienced the different RVs first hand.

I'll agree with the others but won't spend more space trying to convince you to go larger.

A Class B gets slightly worse fuel mileage than the van chassis it is based on. This is due to the extra wind resistance of the larger body and the additional weight vs what is typically carried in a van.  The Sprinter diesel chassis will be the most economical to drive, probably yielding around 15-16 mpg overall. The V10 gas engine in the Regency will be thirsty in comparison, probably in the 10 mpg range. Fuel mileage figures vary a LOT with your driving habits, especially speed and acceleration, so "your mileage may vary".

As for comfort, no Class B can compare to a similar C or A type, but only you can decide how much space is necessary for personal comfort. B's will, of necessity, have small (sometimes tiny) showers and toilet areas, limited galley workspace, little storage, etc. The lack of elbow room can become oppressive if you have to deal with it every day, but some people manage quite well.  The space that is quite enough for a week adventure can really get you down after several weeks or months.

When you visit your children, will you still be living in the van or will you be staying in their homes after arrival? Most RVers prefer to stay in their own rig, sleeping in their own bed and having some private "quiet" time in the a.n. and p.m. It's one of the advantages of bringing your own bedroom and kitchen with you!

Will you be able to park in the kid's yard or driveway and have access to at least a bit of 120v power? Many communities do not allow RVs to be parked on the home site, or do not allow someone to stay in them if they do.  If you have to shuttle back & forth to an RV park (near or ?), it adds considerable to the expense and hassle, since you have to "break camp" (disconnect electric, water and sewer lines and pick up gear) each time you want to see the kids or go to the store.

Renting a B or C to gain some real life experience is a wise idea.

Thank-you for your insightful responses.
I've only been shopping a little over a week now and there's so much for the beginner to learn.
I had planned on towing a vehicle for getting around once I've arrived at my destinations. Fortunately, my children live in areas that have many rv accommodations to choose from.
There's a lot of the country I would really like to see and enjoy, apart from visiting family. I figure three months with each child... ( in my own space)lol, and then three months to visit places I've never been.
I own my own home but don't like feeling tied to one place very long, so I figure this will suit my adventurous side rather well.
The idea is to rent out my home and travel. So, I guess since I've never done anything like this before, are there any other points of knowledge  you've acquired through experience that would be in my interest to know prior to embarking on my journeys?

There is so much to learn and so much info that we could pass to you. The best first step is to drive a few different types and check into a rv driving course locally. you might find one that is offered by a dealer that might let you use one of their units to get comfortable.

Don't let size scare you. they drive easy. I have seen little tiny 70+ yo ladies driving 40'+ rigs towing a towed, whipping into spots in parks like a pro.

Find a floor plan that fits you and work on the rest!! The nerves go away after just a little while behind the wheel.

If your plan is towing a small car behind (toad) then you better start looking at class A's instead.  Most of the class C rigs are already at or near their chassis limits before you add towing to the mix.

Donn,

Many of the class Cs are built on the same or similar chassis as the gasser class As.  We had a class A gasser and we could tow up to 5000#.  The major difference between the C and the A chassis was wheel base, same engine, trans, brakes and tires.  Most class Cs can do something like 3500# to 5000# it you keep the tongue weight to the weight of the hitch and have braking on the towed, i.e., tow 4 down.

Well, I've looked up Class C's and A's... The A's look so appealing, yet I can't imagine being at a left turn lane with traffic around me and not running into the median or another car...lol
I do agree though, that being in a smaller space for lengthy periods of time may become taxing to my nerves to say the least.
What about Oregon and Washington, the mountain grades? How are they at handling this type of travel? How do their brakes hold up?
These are all things I'm needing to consider.
Are there makes and models preferred over others?
If I'm going to spend 120,000.00- 300,000.00, I want to be sure I am getting the best bang for the bucks!
It's a good thing I'm not in a hurry! lol. Though I must say that once I made my mind up to do this, I'm more excited than I am nervous!
I am going to test drive a couple and get a feel for them... But I would prefer to get my advice from people who have been there and done that.

Anna Stone said:
Well, I've looked up Class C's and A's... The A's look so appealing, yet I can't imagine being at a left turn lane with traffic around me and not running into the median or another car...lol
Turning is actually very easy. The back of the RV still follows the front. All you need to know is pull into the intersection and start your turn a bit later than you would in a car. Actually right hand turns are the harder of the two. Just remember that 18 wheelers drive around towns and make those same turns.
What about Oregon and Washington, the mountain grades? How are they at handling this type of travel?
No problem. Like I said, all you have to do is test drive a few and rent one for a weekend or two and your fears will disappear. They really are a lot easier to drive than you think.
How do their brakes hold up?
Better than the brakes on a car.
Are there makes and models preferred over others?
Nope, any RV made in the last 20 years is a pretty good vehicle. There really aren't any lemons. There are some RVs that are better than others of course, but the better ones cost mega bucks. The condition, price and floorplan are way more important than the make and model. You want one that was well taken care of.
If I'm going to spend 120,000.00- 300,000.00, I want to be sure I am getting the best bang for the bucks!
The best thing to do is not spend that kind of money on your first RV. Virtually no one gets it right the first time. You really don't know what you are going to want until you have owned one for at least a year. Start out with a $20,000 used rig and in a year trade up to the one you really want. RVs depreciate like a rock so if you buy a pricey unit first when you trade it in a year later you will loose a lot of money. You can't loose too much on a $20K rig. And yes you can get a very nice class A for $20k. Here is an example of what I am talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-Georgie-Boy-Pursuit-Series-M-3512-DS-Good-Condition-/310600095609?pt=RVs_Campers&hash=item4851355779#ht_500wt_1183
It's a good thing I'm not in a hurry! lol. Though I must say that once I made my mind up to do this, I'm more excited than I am nervous!
Great idea not to be in a hurry. I usually take three to six months of shopping for me to find my next RV.
I am going to test drive a couple and get a feel for them... But I would prefer to get my advice from people who have been there and done that.
Good idea to test drive a few. Let the salesman know you have never driven an RV and he will be very helpful showing you how to drive it. Remember, he wants to sell you an RV and if he has to help you learn to drive one he will. Just remember RV salesmen are used car salesmen and they will lie to their mother to sell an RV. And before you actually sign on the dotted line come back here for advise on what you need to know.

If you plan to tow, pay close attention to the difference between GCWR and GVWR (see our RV Glossary), which is what pretty much defines the tow limits. A Class B may be quite small and many C's have little tow capacity either. A small car like a Honda CRV still weighs about 3400-3600 lbs.

Be sure to look at small class A,s, 26...27 ft size. With a slide you get more room, able to carry more, etc, and still easy to drive. You may want to take grand children along someday. Good luck.

Great videos! Thanks! It doesn't look that hard at all. Thanks also for the information about the used motorhome! Now my choices are open to save money and still get what I'm looking for.
Now the hard part begins... deciding what accommodations I must have and want and then finding the right RV. I will do as suggested and bring my findings here prior to making a purchase. Are there any important questions I should be asking the dealer, and; what problem areas do I need to check for when inspecting a vehicle I'm looking to buy?
Some A's are gas, some are diesel. Which is preferred by most and why?
As far as towing goes, perhaps I'll just rent a car at my destinations until I'm sure that I know what I'm doing with the coach!

Anna Stone said:
Are there any important questions I should be asking the dealer
Yes there are but not right away. The problem is you won't know if the dealer is lying to you or not.
what problem areas do I need to check for when inspecting a vehicle I'm looking to buy?
That is putting the cart before the horse. First step is to look at a bunch of different types and drive a few to get an idea of what you are looking for. Once you have decided then you can start looking for a specific unit and then we will tell you what to look for and what questions to ask.
Some A's are gas, some are diesel. Which is preferred by most and why?
They are two different tools for two different jobs. If you are going to be towing in mountains then a diesel is the better option. Otherwise a gasser will do you just fine.
As far as towing goes, perhaps I'll just rent a car at my destinations until I'm sure that I know what I'm doing with the coach!
That is an excellent plan. Many places you go will have public transportation that is free or very cheap. For example, the south rim of the Grand Canyon has free shuttle buses running all day long. They will take you just about anywhere you want to go on the south rim.

Okay... I am going to RV sales lot to look at their inventory.
I'm weeks into looking through floorplans for B+'s and C's without much luck at finding something that holler's " Hey, I'm the one you want!"
Two days after my first inquiry with you fine folks and I'm looking at A's. I think I've found one that is awesome for me; the only problem is that it doesn't have washer and dryer. But the floorplan is so awesome that I'm thinking park laundry facilities will do.
So, though I'm trying to keep an open mind so that I can take the other models into account fairly, I still believe that I may end up purchasing a Challenger 37KS. It's like a condo on wheels, and; everything I've seen says they had me in mind when they came up with this plan.
How is Thor at handling parts, service and other issues that come up? Any words of wisdom concerning this manufacturer?
Is this a nice, sound, safe, trustworthy vehicle for me? Remember, for the most part, I will be traveling alone.
I need a vehicle that I can count on in any situation. Are they as easy to drive as the video makes it seem?
So, I went from feeling intimidated by larger RV's to settling my mind on huge! How did that happen? Must have been those driver confidence videos, LOL! Any words of wisdom about this possible choice?

Anna Stone said:
I think I've found one that is awesome for me; the only problem is that it doesn't have washer and dryer. But the floorplan is so awesome that I'm thinking park laundry facilities will do.
Personally I feel it is an advantage not to have a washer and a dryer. I had an RV with a W/D and they stunk. Two towels is a full load. They use a lot of water and electricity so you must be hooked up to power to use them. They are hard to operate and if they are the least bit overloaded everything turns out wrinkled. There are some people here on the forum that love them but not me. Most every RV park has laundry facilities anyway so they really aren't necessary. I prefer to have the closet space.
How is Thor at handling parts, service and other issues that come up? Any words of wisdom concerning this manufacturer?
Is this a nice, sound, safe, trustworthy vehicle for me? Remember, for the most part, I will be traveling alone.
If you are considering used then the manufacturer is not anywhere near as important as the condition the RV is in and the servicing that has been done on it. You will need to subscribe to CoachNet and then you will have peace of mind.
I need a vehicle that I can count on in any situation.
You are driving a house down the road at 60 miles per hour shaking it and vibrating it. All RVs eventually have problems.
Are they as easy to drive as the video makes it seem?
Just as easy to drive as a car, only a bit different. You won't be intimidated after you have been driving it a bit. It will just seem normal.

Pretty good advice from Seilerbird. 

Is this new or used?  In either case, most parts come from third parties anyway - RV manufacturers mostly assemble from standard components. They make the walls, roof, floor and cabinetry themselves, but all the other stuff is bought on the open market.

Service is available at most any RV dealership, though new RV warranty service usually comes from an authorized dealer. Even then, if the thing needing service is a fridge or water heater, the warranty comes from the component manufacturer rather than Thor and you can usually have it fixed anywhere.

By now you probably realize that parts and service are not handled like your car. It is more like a house, where you go to the company that supplied the failing item, rather than having everything covered by the vehicle manufacturer.

A washer/dryer is a convenience item and many Class A's are prepped so that one can be added later if you wish. It's worth inquiring about.

I'm going to wait until I've visited the dealership to decide on new or used. I am still leaning toward new though because everything will be under warranty and that gives me some peace of mind. I won't be so worried about parts going out on me mid route...
Since I am new to this I'd like to be thoroughly confident with my ability to drive in the best of circumstances before I have to control a vehicle that blows a tire or has something quit on me. I know it seems like I'm a worry wart.. But like I said, I'll be traveling alone for the most part; anything that makes it pleasurable and reduces incidents is worth spending a little more for to me...
I have family in wisconsin, wyoming, oklahoma and missouri. I want to visit Oregon, Washington and so forth. Though I will be living in it a great deal of the time, I will also be driving it alot. So I need something that will last and can rise to the task. I'm not as young as I used to be, I don't want to be sitting around some day thinking, "I wish I would have done that." Kids are grown, husband's passed on... I need a new adventure... this one provides endless opportunities.
I've never made huge purchases like this without doing homework first, so it's really nice that this forum is here to provide valuable insight. I didn't want to have to rely solely on the salesperson...lol and I don't know anyone who is knowledgable about RV's. If I hadn't checked in here first, I probably would have spent too much on a mercedes unity or triple e regency and then been cramped and miserable. So thanks for changing my mind about them...lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom