How to Shop Long Distance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BinaryBob said:
There are 10 kinds of people in this world...
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Was doing a segment on numbering systems in a computer seminar in Las Vegas for managers of the company that managed the test site. Probably in the late 80's. The company training director stopped by to see how things were going. As he stood in the conference room door, I had just written in bold, 1 + 1 = ?, on the board and asked what the answer was. His expression displayed concern at the level of the lecture for company managers.

When one student volunteered, 2 as the answer -- and I said that was the wrong answer, the training director then got a really strange look on his face - and even more strange when I said the correct answer was 10.  :)

Anyway, after listening to the rest of the lecture, he calmed down. I hadn't said, ten, I said, one zero base 2.

I bought long distance and actually had a good experience.  But, I must stress, I REALLY DID MY HOMEWORK FIRST!

After tons of research, RV shows, visiting lot after lot, driving various models, renting one for a weekend, etc. etc. etc., I decided the exact make and model that I wanted, with a range of model years.  I found it at a dealer about 250 miles away, and did the deal via Internet and telephone.  But, I also made sure the deal said, in writing, that it was contingent on passing my inspection upon delivery (yes, they even delivered to my driveway!).  That part was critical before they got a penny from me.  Being that the dealer was a Camping World also helped -- reputation is a good thing.  Still, there was much rending of garments and gnashing of teeth before all was over.  It was a scary thing, and its not for everyone.  I would never have gone that route with a private seller. 

Oh, and I bought in October, and got the thing for $17,000 below blue book (2009 Winnebago View).  Never would've gotten that deal this time of year.  It was delivered in mint condition, and we've taken two "maiden voyages" before we had to winterize.  All was well and we can't wait for spring.  That being said, do your homework, be wary and good luck!

Tom said:
Bob, you just answered a question I've wanted to ask for years. At the pre-Plymouth rally breakfast, I asked what you did for a living; You thought for a few seconds and replied "author". Later, learning about your software business, I assumed that reply meant "software author".

Tom thank you for remembering our conversation there in Sacto -- at the Peppermill.

I probably hesitated because I was in transition then as to the direction of my one person company. That was my last book and it was published in '96. I was adjunct teaching at a Sacto community college and GGU in The City, and doing seminars under contract with the U.S. DOE in Las Vegas. Was also about a year or so into my first RV. And had begun exploring building the reservation system with input from the manager of the park I was staying in. Was also asked to continue writing. Once you have written a few books for a publisher, they want you to continue.

Writing a college textbook, then two more, was very exciting for me. However, the first one took 2 years and the second and third over a year each. So it really becomes a draining experience as well. The RV park reservation system SW won out, I stopped teaching -- and took to the road and have been doing so ever since.

[quote author=Bob Buchanan]... I probably hesitated because I was in transition then as to the direction of my one person company. The RV park reservation system SW won out, I stopped teaching -- and took to the road and have been doing so ever since.[/quote]

Aye Bob, it's interesting how we make decisions that significantly change our future, often for the better. Some of my better career moves were unplanned and didn't take long to think about. Others I procrastinated over; In retrospect, a minority of the latter would have been very positive moves, and others would have been a disaster.

One significant decision was the day I was sitting at my boss' desk in the UK around 4:00 o'clock in the afternoon. He hung up the phone and said "they (Corporate) want you in California, and I need an answer in the morning". I went home, expecting a long discussion about relocating 6,000 miles, but Chris packed her suitcase and said "let's go". 7:00am the following morning I placed a "yes" on my boss' desk, then left town on a business trip.

koski said:
I bought long distance and actually had a good experience.  But, I must stress, I REALLY DID MY HOMEWORK FIRST!

After tons of research, RV shows, visiting lot after lot, driving various models, renting one for a weekend, etc. etc. etc., I decided the exact make and model that I wanted, with a range of model years.  I found it at a dealer about 250 miles away, and did the deal via Internet and telephone.  But, I also made sure the deal said, in writing, that it was contingent on passing my inspection upon delivery (yes, they even delivered to my driveway!).  That part was critical before they got a penny from me.  Being that the dealer was a Camping World also helped -- reputation is a good thing.  Still, there was much rending of garments and gnashing of teeth before all was over.  It was a scary thing, and its not for everyone.  I would never have gone that route with a private seller. 

Oh, and I bought in October, and got the thing for $17,000 below blue book (2009 Winnebago View).  Never would've gotten that deal this time of year.  It was delivered in mint condition, and we've taken two "maiden voyages" before we had to winterize.  All was well and we can't wait for spring.  That being said, do your homework, be wary and good luck!

koski, congrats on your good buy!
After looking at quite a few locally, one of the issues that concerns me about buying from a distance is the exterior condition. It's rare that I've found a beat up interior (other than the normal wear and tear associated with it's age), but pictures don't seem to show paint degradation and decal peeling that make some of these an eyesore.
I'm curious if others have had these decals replaced and / or complete body re-paint and what that would cost. If the price is reasonable would it be wise to make an offer adjusted on the cost of this (and other) repair issues? Or is this generally a sign of neglect?

I have not tried these suggestions, this what I am going to do, after much internet surfing, as soon as the weather breaks in spring.
I like brush on super glue to restick some. Thought about the bazillion colors of nail polish available for color matching as well, paint in whats gone. Ya know that stuff is basically old skool automotive laquer paint?
Dead, oxidized gel coat is getting the "Wet Look Floor Finish" by "Zep" treatment. Another brand, no longer available(?) is "Red Max Pro". There are some amazing before and after pics on the internet. 

Bill

BinaryBob said:
I'm curious if others have had these decals replaced and / or complete body re-paint and what that would cost. If the price is reasonable would it be wise to make an offer adjusted on the cost of this (and other) repair issues? Or is this generally a sign of neglect?
It is not a sign of neglect, it is the reality of the situation. Most RVers cannot afford to build a garage large enough to store their RV. So what you are seeing is typical sun damage that almost every RV made before 2000 will have unless stored indoors. The ones that were stored indoors always command a premium price. If it bothers you I have heard that in Mexico you can get a full body paint job in one day for under $2000. This would be in towns like Los Algodones which is right on the border at Yuma Arizona. As I understand it you stay in the vehicle if you wish and the job is done in one day. Less than one mile of driving in Mexico.

In the US you are looking at at least $5k probably more like $10k.

Good ideas Bill, however most of what I'm describing is way beyond touchup.

Tom, I should clarify. I understand I'm not going to get a showroom finish. I would expect normal paint weathering based on age.
Granted I've only looked at about a dozen so far (That darn job keeps getting in the way), but 2 of the 12 had horrendous exteriors that was not evident from the pictures. One was a 2005. The other 2002. Insides were very nice. No damage or leaking. They both needed new tires. But the exterior paint was about 50% gone in some places (I guess where it sat westward), very pitted, and the decals were curled up about 1/8 to 1/4 inch in places.
I would hope an RV cover / tarp could eliminate or at least delay these problems.
Allowing for a 5-10G paint job doesn't give much wiggle room on negotiating a price.  :(

RV covers and tarps are not necessarily a good alternative. They can do more damage than good. You gotta kiss a lot of frogs before you kiss a prince when shopping for RVs.

Moisture can accumulate under the cover and damage the finish. I have never owned one, but I have not heard any good things about them and several complaints. I also think they would be very difficult to take off and put on. And for full timers a cover is not an option. Remember I told you long ago in the thread that you can't really shop long distance. You gotta see them in person.

Hmmm.. good to know about the covers. I still may want to do a snow tarp.
And yes! I am following your advice and sticking to a drivable radius for now.
Just wish I had more time.

Bob Buchanan said:
Was doing a segment on numbering systems in a computer seminar in Las Vegas for managers of the company that managed the test site. Probably in the late 80's. The company training director stopped by to see how things were going. As he stood in the conference room door, I had just written in bold, 1 + 1 = ?, on the board and asked what the answer was. His expression displayed concern at the level of the lecture for company managers.

When one student volunteered, 2 as the answer -- and I said that was the wrong answer, the training director then got a really strange look on his face - and even more strange when I said the correct answer was 10.  :)

Anyway, after listening to the rest of the lecture, he calmed down. I hadn't said, ten, I said, one zero base 2.

Ha.. That's good. Kept the training director on the edge of his seat.
Bob, you appear to have a full timers dream job.
How's the software going? Any luck on getting the national park system on board? You could probably retire!  ;D

I think you will find most older RV's do not have a painted finish. Most have a fibreglass-like finish which, in itself, chalks with time in addition to the runoff from a rubber roof which also chalks somewhat. These units are usually "decorated" with decals, many of which will dry and peel.

Full body paint is now quite readily available but paint jobs are very expensive so many manufacturers will offer them as options on a new vehicle and  others will include it on the more expensive units.

Alfa38User said:
I think you will find most older RV's do not have a painted finish. Most have a fibreglass-like finish which, in itself, chalks with time in addition to the runoff from a rubber roof which also chalks somewhat. These units are usually "decorated" with decals, many of which will dry and peel.

Full body paint is now quite readily available but paint jobs are very expensive so many manufacturers will offer then as options on a new vehicle and  others will include it on the more expensive units.
I agree. It takes some elbow grease to keep a gelcoat finish looking good. If I don't wax mine at least once a year she gets looking a little on the ruff side. On the other hand I've more than one newer rig with full body paint with the clear coat peeling. If they were mine I'd have been crying a lot. I know it would cost an arm and a leg to get those repaired.

Back
Top Bottom